The other red meat

France not horsin' around with horsemeat vendors...
:eusa_eh:
France hunting fraudsters in horsemeat scandal
Feb 10,`13 -- Europe's horsemeat scandal is spreading and threatening cross-border tensions, as France says Romanian butchers and Dutch and Cypriot traders were part of a supply chain that resulted in horsemeat disguised as beef being sold in frozen lasagna around the continent.
No one has reported health risks from the mislabeled meat, but it has unsettled consumers across Europe. Accusations are flying. In France, the foreign minister called it "disgusting," and consumer safety authorities increased inspections of the country's meat business, from slaughterhouses to supermarkets. Romania's president is scrambling to salvage his country's reputation. A Swedish manufacturer is suing a French supplier central to the affair. The motivation for passing off horsemeat as beef appeared to be financial, and authorities are concentrating on pursuing anyone guilty of fraud in the affair, said France's junior minister for consumer goods, Benoit French Benoit Hamon.

The complex supply chain for the suspicious meat crossed Europe's map. An initial investigation by French safety authorities determined that French company Poujol bought frozen meat from a Cypriot trader, Hamon's office said in a statement Sunday. That trader had received it from a Dutch food trader, and that Dutch company had received the meat from two Romanian slaughterhouses. The statement didn't name the Romanian, Cypriot or Dutch companies. Poujol then supplied a Luxembourg factory, Hamon's statement said. The Luxembourg factory is owned by French group Comigel. The lasagna was ultimately sold under the Sweden-based Findus brand.

French supermarkets announced Sunday that they've recalled a raft of pre-prepared meals, including lasagna, moussaka and cannelloni suspected of containing undeclared horsemeat. The French ministers for agriculture, the food industry and consumer protection are holding an emergency meeting Monday with meat producers. While horsemeat is largely taboo in Britain and some other countries, in France it is sold in specialty butcher shops and prized by some connoisseurs. But French authorities are worried about producers misleading the public. Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius called Sunday night on BFM television for "tough punishments" for what he described as "abominable" fraud.

An affair that started earlier this year with worries about horsemeat in burgers in Ireland and Britain has spread into a Europe-wide scandal. The EU commissioner for agriculture is meeting Monday with Romania's foreign minister about the latest horsemeat worries. Romanian President Traian Basescu said Sunday that his country could face potential export restrictions and lose credibility "for many years" if the Romanian butchers turn out to be the root of the problem. "I hope that this won't happen," Basescu said in televised statements. Romania's agricultural ministry has begun an investigation.

MORE

I saw horse on a menu in Hanoi a few years ago, so at least some Vietnamese must have a taste for it. Pigeon was also surprisingly common on menus in Vietnam.

I've never seen cat on a menu anywhere, but I've seen dog on menus in China. I don't believe it is very common anymore and I believe most Chinese wouldn't eat dog, but the ones who do are weird with dog as it is seasonal, like a winter food that you can't order in the summer. I've heard cat can be had farther south in Guang Zhou.

I saw horse on a menu in Hanoi a few years ago, so at least some Vietnamese must have a taste for it. Pigeon was also surprisingly common on menus in Vietnam.

I've never seen cat on a menu anywhere, but I've seen dog on menus in China. I don't believe it is very common anymore and I believe most Chinese wouldn't eat dog, but the ones who do are weird with dog as it is seasonal, like a winter food that you can't order in the summer. .

I think you've got that backwards. Dog is eaten in the summer for...potency...and stuff.

Horse meat might be OK but what you get in horse slaughterhouses is hardly prime. It's warn out old lame and/or dead stock.

I've eaten horse meat before - in France. It was ok but not something I would want a regular diet of. Half-drunk sailors will eat anything.

Horse meat might be OK but what you get in horse slaughterhouses is hardly prime. It's warn out old lame and/or dead stock.
That is a great point, I doubt it is like with animals raised specifically for slaughter where they are killed after reaching a desired size or age.

It most certainly is eaten in the summer in places like Jilin, Liaoning, and Heijongliang.
Could be, I've not been up there. What I can say is I've been in restaurants in China that had dog on the menu but was told by the owner they didn't serve it in the summer, and in Chinese culture consumption of dogs is far more commonly associated with cold weather.

Dog meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The eating of dog meat in China dates back thousands of years. It is thought to have medicinal properties, and is especially popular in winter months, as it is believed to generate heat and promote bodily warmth"

Demand for dog meat on the rise in China
"A 40-year-old man surnamed Liu in Changchun, capital of Northeast China's Jilin, said he loves to eat dog meat especially in winter because he believed it is a good source of nutrition. "I do have concerns where the dogs come from and whether dog meat is safe," he said. "But I only select clean and higher-class restaurants."

Eating dog in China
"And the debate is the latest sign of China’s rapidly changing mores and culture. For centuries, dog meat has been coveted for its fragrant and unique flavor; it is an especially popular dish in the winter, when it is believed to keep you warm."

WARNING: GRAPHIC! Chinese activists rescue dogs destined for dinner table | BellaDOG Magazine
"Eating dog meat has been a long tradition in China. Ancient Chinese medical books say dog meat keeps the body warm in winter and many Chinese people still believe that. "

Most Americans would consider it too dry because it hasn't the marbling that our beef usually has. It's much more like venison (deer or moose) than anything else. I like it because it has so much less fat and when you can get it, it's like grass-fed beef, lean with much less fat. Horse makes great sauerbraten.

But is it good on the grill? lol :D (joking around)

I eat a good amount of venison and wild hog- both are low in fat and about as "natural" as you can get without paying through the nose. These horses that are being sold to China for slaughter- what is their primary diet?

I think the Chinese eat whatever they can get. There are a lot of Chinese. It also depends on where they live, too, I think. Actually, I know several Chinese immigrants, I'll ask them and try to get back to you.
I hunt when I can, butcher my own livestock when I can't hunt. Either way, I know what I'm eating. Same thing with the veggies. What I don't grow myself, I try to buy locally. As far as GMOs are concerned, I even try to buy feed that does not have any GMOs. Those things are fearfully dangerous and most people don't even know about them. And the big producers, like Monsanto, have purchased enough government representation that we cannot even force the government to require that a food's GMO status be part of the labeling.

If the back faces the sky you can eat it.:eusa_drool:

Forum List

Back