The Other Dark Meat

You can get rabies from them if they're cooked?????? I was under the impression that rabies was a virus, and therefore killable?

I wonder what the effects of eating rabie infected raccoon (or other animal carcass) has on the human body?

I don't know if heat destroys the virus but I doubt it.

They say rabies has not spread to raccoons in Missouri and further west but that's just because it hasn't been detected yet. It's been spreading up from the south and in New England I doubt anyone would take the chance of eating raccoon meat. Wildlife rehabbers here all get vaccinated for rabies before working with raccoons.

Heat destroys it, Anguille. They get vaccinated because raccoons bite viciously and if carry rabies. But I've never heard of anyone getting rabies from eating infected meat. Unless, of course, it's undercooked.

"Cooking would of course kill the virus.."
http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/health/rabies.html

Coons have always been susceptible to rabies. I was taught to avoid them at all costs, and I grew up on the west coast.

Last edited:
I love raccoons!! I know a wildlife rehabber who rescues orphaned baby and injured raccoons and squirrels. At one point she had 12 babies of varied age and size. They are so fun to play with! So soft and gentle and curious about everything. They played with my earrings and explored my pockets. Their eyes are so intelligent looking and their fur is so soft.
raccoon5646.JPG

NO EFFECT. The only way you can get rabies from infected meat is if you undercook it AND it gets into your bloodstream. The acids in your stomach kill it. Unless you have a cust in your mouth or an ulcer or something, people don't get it from ingesting contaminated meat.

Heat destroys it, Anguille. They get vaccinated because raccoons bite viciously and if carry rabies. But I've never heard of anyone getting rabies from eating infected meat. Unless, of course, it's undercooked.

"Cooking would of course kill the virus.."
Wildwood Survival - Rabies - A Layman's Explanation

Coons have always been susceptible to rabies. I was taught to avoid them at all costs, and I grew up on the west coast.

Interesting link, thanks!

I think I'd play it safe and not eat it, if anyone offered me a coon burger. Besides, I like my meat rare.

I love raccoons!! I know a wildlife rehabber who rescues orphaned baby and injured raccoons and squirrels. At one point she had 12 babies of varied age and size. They are so fun to play with! So soft and gentle and curious about everything. They played with my earrings and explored my pockets. Their eyes are so intelligent looking and their fur is so soft.

They are one of my favorite animals, as well. We have a friend who had one as a pet, and it was as much fun as a barrel of monkeys.

They are one of my favorite animals, as well. We have a friend who had one as a pet, and it was as much fun as a barrel of monkeys.
Your lucky friend! They seem to be one of the kinds of wild animals that adapt well to domesticity. I would never take one out of the wild but if I found one that needed help, I would take it in.
My friend, the wildlife rehabber had a coon that recovered from his broken leg but she can't get it to go back to the wild. He got too attached to her and now lives on her property like an outdoor cat.

raccoon5646.JPG

Seperated at birth?

$0924082320[1].jpg

My mom had a "pet" raccoon too.

It was vicious, had to be kept on a logging chain. It got loose, went on a killing spree and had to be put out of everyone's misery.

I've seen raccoons that I thought were bears...walking three abreast of a railroad track and growling. Not a fun thing to encounter when alone.

My mom had a "pet" raccoon too.

It was vicious, had to be kept on a logging chain. It got loose, went on a killing spree and had to be put out of everyone's misery.

I've seen raccoons that I thought were bears...walking three abreast of a railroad track and growling. Not a fun thing to encounter when alone.
If she kept it chained up, no wonder it went vicious! It was trying to escape !! Why did she chain it? Was it really a pet or some sort of live trophy?

No, it was chained up because it was vicious and attacked people and animals.She was a very young girl, raised it from a kit.

"Raccoons are sometimes kept as pets, which is discouraged by many experts because the raccoon is not a domesticated species. Raccoons may act unpredictably and aggressively and it is usually impossible to teach them to obey commands.[203]"

They are NOT candidates for family pets.

Raccoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back