A winery with a sense of humour

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
I picked up a bottle of Clare Valley Shiraz - "Dark Side of the Moon" - from Claymore Wines. Okay, I admit it, the name of it intrigued me and I'm not even a fan of Pink Floyd. Not having heard of the winery before I looked them up on their website - http://claymorewines.com.au

I have to say, any winery that names a wine after a Clash song has got me for a customer :lol:

"London Calling" Merlot - more at the website but if you can't be bothered this is the list:

2008 "Joshua Tree" Riesling (Clare Valley Riesling is probably the best in Australia)
2008 Deja Vu Rose (Abba innit?)
2006 "You'll Never Walk Alone" Shiraz Viognier - Toro - you should order a case!
2007 "London Calling" Merlot
2006 "Graceland" Cabernet Sauvignon
2006 "Dark Side of the Moon" Shiraz (which is looking decidedly under threat at my place)
2005 "Nirvana" Reserve Shiraz (I bet it's not grungey)

Now, when I open the "London Calling" I fully expect:

The nose shows lifted chocolate, mulberries and sweetish (almost vanillin) oak spice. There is also a slight menthol & forest lift - reminiscent of walking under pine trees after rain.

I hope I remember what it's like to walk under pine trees after rain (bloody drought).

Our Dark Side of the Moon Shiraz represents a blend of fruit from four Clare Valley vineyards, producing a classically Clare shiraz wine. We indulge the wine with18 months in both French and American oak before bottling

French and American oak? Jeez I hope they got the memo that all the mocking of everything French by Americans is to cease and desist :lol:

A serious, yet soft drop to partner with homemade lamb shank pie.

It's going up against a burger with Greek salad, the homemade lamb shank pie will have to wait....:D

I picked up a bottle of Clare Valley Shiraz - "Dark Side of the Moon" - from Claymore Wines. Okay, I admit it, the name of it intrigued me and I'm not even a fan of Pink Floyd. Not having heard of the winery before I looked them up on their website - http://claymorewines.com.au

I have to say, any winery that names a wine after a Clash song has got me for a customer :lol:

"London Calling" Merlot - more at the website but if you can't be bothered this is the list:

2008 "Joshua Tree" Riesling (Clare Valley Riesling is probably the best in Australia)
2008 Deja Vu Rose (Abba innit?)
2006 "You'll Never Walk Alone" Shiraz Viognier - Toro - you should order a case!
2007 "London Calling" Merlot
2006 "Graceland" Cabernet Sauvignon
2006 "Dark Side of the Moon" Shiraz (which is looking decidedly under threat at my place)
2005 "Nirvana" Reserve Shiraz (I bet it's not grungey)

Now, when I open the "London Calling" I fully expect:

I hope I remember what it's like to walk under pine trees after rain (bloody drought).

French and American oak? Jeez I hope they got the memo that all the mocking of everything French by Americans is to cease and desist :lol:

It's going up against a burger with Greek salad, the homemade lamb shank pie will have to wait....:D

LOL! Yesterday had some teacher friends over after school. Picked up some merlot, "Mad Housewife". Yes, it was the name that got me and it was on sale for $6.00. Believe it or not, quite good.

what is with you wine people...man drinks a carbonaro (sp) that i have to have shipped from ca.. well guess what...he is gonna have to drink local wine....lol...carbonaro or not.

LOL! Yesterday had some teacher friends over after school. Picked up some merlot, "Mad Housewife". Yes, it was the name that got me and it was on sale for $6.00. Believe it or not, quite good.

Value! One of my favourite local whites here I can get for $7 on special and it's usually about $10 regular. Now you have to understand with exchange rates that's about...............25 US cents - full price! :lol:

I love that name - "Mad Housewife" - I think here the pc cops would be on it though :eek:

Although there is a really good semillon-sauvignon blanc here called "Dirty Girls" :eusa_angel: - Home

I like the recent tendency to be a bit humorous or quirky with labelling wine. It takes the ponciness out of it. I'm with the late Len Evans, "it's a bloody drink - drink it!"

"Barking Mad" is another one that I like. Drink enough and you end up barking mad :lol:

A wonderful gift for some I know!

attachment.php

Value! One of my favourite local whites here I can get for $7 on special and it's usually about $10 regular. Now you have to understand with exchange rates that's about...............25 US cents - full price! :lol:

I love that name - "Mad Housewife" - I think here the pc cops would be on it though :eek:

Although there is a really good semillon-sauvignon blanc here called "Dirty Girls" :eusa_angel: - Home

I like the recent tendency to be a bit humorous or quirky with labelling wine. It takes the ponciness out of it. I'm with the late Len Evans, "it's a bloody drink - drink it!"

"Barking Mad" is another one that I like. Drink enough and you end up barking mad :lol:

I've seen "Barking Mad". There is also a merlot, "Six Roosters" or something like that. Very funny label.

"Barking Mad" is Reilly's another Clare Valley one - I haven't heard of "Six Roosters" but I like the name, it was the name of my old football team years ago ("Roosters" I mean, there were more than six of us!).

Oh by the way if you ever see a Charles Cimicky in your liquor/wine store grab a hold of it (well, depending on price). They're low volume but very high quality. The Shiraz (okay there's more than one form of Shiraz they produce but I'm generalising) is superb. It's a real treat. But I wish they'd come up with a better name :lol:

those names are great - I'm producing my first batch of homemade wine as we speak, and I've been struggling for names - I think I've got a "brand name" in mind, but not a name for the individual wines - I like their strategy here. Perhaps I'll mimic it and name my wine after a Cannibal Corpse song.

Forum List

Back