The Other Dark Meat

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
He rolls into the parking lot of Leon's Thriftway in an old, maroon Impala with a trunk full of frozen meat. Raccoon — the other dark meat.

In five minutes, Montrose, Mo., trapper Larry Brownsberger is sold out in the lot at 39th Street and Kensington Avenue. Word has gotten around about how clean his frozen raccoon carcasses are. How nicely they’re tucked up in their brown butcher paper. How they almost look like a trussed turkey … or something.

His loyal customers beam as they leave, thinking about the meal they'll soon be eating.

That is, as soon as the meat is thawed. Then brined. Soaked overnight. Parboiled for two hours. Slow-roasted or smoked or barbecued to perfection.

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 01/13/2009 | The other dark meat: Raccoon is making it to the table

He rolls into the parking lot of Leon's Thriftway in an old, maroon Impala with a trunk full of frozen meat. Raccoon — the other dark meat.

In five minutes, Montrose, Mo., trapper Larry Brownsberger is sold out in the lot at 39th Street and Kensington Avenue. Word has gotten around about how clean his frozen raccoon carcasses are. How nicely they’re tucked up in their brown butcher paper. How they almost look like a trussed turkey … or something.

His loyal customers beam as they leave, thinking about the meal they'll soon be eating.

That is, as soon as the meat is thawed. Then brined. Soaked overnight. Parboiled for two hours. Slow-roasted or smoked or barbecued to perfection.

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 01/13/2009 | The other dark meat: Raccoon is making it to the table

hmmmmmm well they're bigger than squirrels. :lol:
Can you pawn em off to someone else beef to overcome the EWWW factor ?

• Banned
hmmmmmm well they're bigger than squirrels. :lol:
Can you pawn em off to someone else beef to overcome the EWWW factor ?

i like that by law they have to leave one paw on the carcass so you can't be swindled into eating a cat or dog by mistake.

i hate when i do that

i like that by law they have to leave one paw on the carcass so you can't be swindled into eating a cat or dog by mistake.

i hate when i do that

thank God the government maintains coon regulations. It makes me have faith in them again

I've got some extra deer feet laying around here-- i wonder if I could attach them somehow and pawn those coons off and little deers. :lol:

Fur trappers, who harvest most of the raccoons sold in Missouri, "try to kill as humanely as possible," says Beringer, a trapper himself. "It's part of the culture."

I wonder how true that is.I'd be curious to see what raccoon tastes like but I think I'd not risk the possible exposure to rabies. Even though the article says rabies infection in raccoons is currently limited to the East Coast, it's spreading.

I wonder if WO and SJ are lurking today? They'll wet their pants if they see you posting about coons. :lol:

LOL! You two are just dying to get your autographed photo of Gwyneth, but you'll just have to write to my fan club like everyone else.

Forum List

Back