The Opioid Epidemic is Just Out of Control

Here is an article about a town I grew up close to, lived in and worked at for many years, and how the heroin problem has just devastated it to the point they were considering a three strikes rule. If you overdosed three times, after that they would no longer send the EMS to you and save your life, you'd just die.

Middletown, Ohio, a city under siege: “Everyone I know is on heroin”

Three people OD'ed in Toronto this weekend, hundreds, maybe thousands a year OD in Vancouver each year. It's sad, and I wish people would resist the use of these killers. The worst are those who encourage others to try out these killers and get them hooked, to hell with all of them!

Well a large part of the overdoses these days is when the dealers add things to the drugs and the people doing them don't know it. Right now for some reason dealers keep adding Fentanyl into stuff and it is flat out killing them. Not to mention, there is a lot of people that die the first time they ever even do drugs... where they fall into peer pressure from repeat drug users and they just can't take it and die.

Here is an article about a town I grew up close to, lived in and worked at for many years, and how the heroin problem has just devastated it to the point they were considering a three strikes rule. If you overdosed three times, after that they would no longer send the EMS to you and save your life, you'd just die.

Three people OD'ed in Toronto this weekend, hundreds, maybe thousands a year OD in Vancouver each year. It's sad, and I wish people would resist the use of these killers. The worst are those who encourage others to try out these killers and get them hooked, to hell with all of them!

Well a large part of the overdoses these days is when the dealers add things to the drugs and the people doing them don't know it. Right now for some reason dealers keep adding Fentanyl into stuff and it is flat out killing them. Not to mention, there is a lot of people that die the first time they ever even do drugs... where they fall into peer pressure from repeat drug users and they just can't take it and die.

There was just such a documentary on CBC last weekend about this very point. Guy was holding a small vile of some of that stuff and said, "one drop of this can kill you". He then went on to state that it is very cheap, so these scumbags sob's add it to their more expensive products and risk killing people (and often succeed) for a few extra bucks. It gets me angry and heavy hearted at the same time.

ha

Thank you liberals for wanting the war on drugs to come to an end. Liberals are doing the drugs, which means that with the epidemic of opioid addiction, more liberals will be killing themselves, along with aborting their children, Democrat Party will never gain power again. I salute you Democrats for actually making the world a better place.
That's why they do not want a border wall. Nothing can impede. Their heroin from Mexico from getting through!

Cincinnati was the pharmaceutical citadel on the American frontier. Most of the shops were located down at the waterfront wharves. I-75 assisted the metastasis. See for example, Bedford Heroin Rally, Bedford Township, Michigan.

Or the people are overdosing where they don't come back from death. Blame someone else for the immoral actions of the left. Hillary would be proud of you... At this point what difference does it make that liberals are killing themselves by overdosing?...

Or the people are overdosing where they don't come back from death. Blame someone else for the immoral actions of the left. Hillary would be proud of you... At this point what difference does it make that liberals are killing themselves by overdosing?...

WTF does politics have to do with this? I just showed you the states with the largest drug problems are RED STATES... and you keep blaming liberals.

I don't know, I have been prescribed Hydrocodone and similar things many times for various pains, after surgery, my back, etc. It was always effective and caused no problems. I took the pills as needed, got better then went on with my life. No harm, no foul. Good stuff. People don't get hooked or whatever because the doctor prescribed it, it messed them up because they abused it and messed themselves up. Everyone taking it has the power, if they want to, to simply STOP TAKING IT, if it starts having more control of their lives than desired.

Heck, when I was a kid and got earaches, my pediatrician always prescribed Paregoric! That is a tincture of opium! Real good stuff, it really worked, took the earache right away, not like most modern medicines. I don't think you could abuse it anyway as it was camphorated.

The problem isn't the drugs, it is the people taking them.

Heroin is much much much more different than hydro.

I can't understand the need to prescribe heroin. I believe heroin was "created" specifically for getting wasted on AND being very addictive! It is like "concentrated opium! I want to meet the doctor who prescribes heroin; can I pick it up at my pharmacy? I can't even get shit pills off of my doctor.

The reason people are getting addicted to heroin is because they had been prescribed opiates, and by the time their prescription ran out, they were addicted. But, since the doctor would no longer give them opiates, they turned to a similar substance on the street which was heroin.

Interesting sidenote..................when CO legalized marijuana for recreational use, their opiate overdose rate went down by over 25 percent and is still continuing to drop.

I don't know, I have been prescribed Hydrocodone and similar things many times for various pains, after surgery, my back, etc. It was always effective and caused no problems. I took the pills as needed, got better then went on with my life. No harm, no foul. Good stuff. People don't get hooked or whatever because the doctor prescribed it, it messed them up because they abused it and messed themselves up. Everyone taking it has the power, if they want to, to simply STOP TAKING IT, if it starts having more control of their lives than desired.

Heck, when I was a kid and got earaches, my pediatrician always prescribed Paregoric! That is a tincture of opium! Real good stuff, it really worked, took the earache right away, not like most modern medicines. I don't think you could abuse it anyway as it was camphorated.

I can't understand the need to prescribe heroin. I believe heroin was "created" specifically for getting wasted on AND being very addictive! It is like "concentrated opium! I want to meet the doctor who prescribes heroin; can I pick it up at my pharmacy? I can't even get shit pills off of my doctor.

Can you tell me where I said heroin was prescribed?

They are trying to say that both substances are the same.

But, like it's been pointed out before.............people get prescribed opiates by the doctor and when their treatment is over they are addicted. Since they can't get any more opiates from the doc, they turn to heroin because it's chemically similar and produces a similar effect.

Quickest way to get a handle on the heroin epidemic is to tell the docs to be a bit more careful in how they prescribe opiate drugs so that people don't get addicted in the first place.

Another interesting sidenote.................there is a new cable channel called VICE, and they have a series on there called "Weediquette", which shows various people who use marijuana and how it affects them. In one episode, they showed a place where they were using marijuana to treat heroin addiction. Now, when a person is going through withdrawl on heroin, they have joint pain, are nauseous, and are generally pretty jumpy and jittery. Guess what? Marijuana can relieve pain, stimulates appetite, soothes nausea and can also relax you. Best part? Marijuana isn't addictive, so when they get off heroin and have used marijuana for a bit and are off of it, they can stop using cannabis if they so choose without any ill side effects.

I think Cory Booker has the right idea, because he's looking to decriminalize it at the federal level and leave the states to decide what they want to do.

Because that has been the general THRUST of the opioid epidemic, that doctors and pill companies have been over-medicating, pushing this stuff on people like crazy. If you are talking about illegal use, then we have an opioid epidemic, a heroin epidemic, an LSD epidemic, a barbiturate epidemic, a coke epidemic, and a pot epidemic.

We also have an poor education epidemic, a government waste epidemic, an over-population epidemic, and many others to follow.

They are trying to say that both substances are the same.

But, like it's been pointed out before.............people get prescribed opiates by the doctor and when their treatment is over they are addicted. Since they can't get any more opiates from the doc, they turn to heroin because it's chemically similar and produces a similar effect.

Quickest way to get a handle on the heroin epidemic is to tell the docs to be a bit more careful in how they prescribe opiate drugs so that people don't get addicted in the first place.

Another interesting sidenote.................there is a new cable channel called VICE, and they have a series on there called "Weediquette", which shows various people who use marijuana and how it affects them. In one episode, they showed a place where they were using marijuana to treat heroin addiction. Now, when a person is going through withdrawl on heroin, they have joint pain, are nauseous, and are generally pretty jumpy and jittery. Guess what? Marijuana can relieve pain, stimulates appetite, soothes nausea and can also relax you. Best part? Marijuana isn't addictive, so when they get off heroin and have used marijuana for a bit and are off of it, they can stop using cannabis if they so choose without any ill side effects.

I think Cory Booker has the right idea, because he's looking to decriminalize it at the federal level and leave the states to decide what they want to do.

Well here is the thing too, is some of the people that do get addicted, then go to buy prescription pills illegally, and they are much much more expensive than heroin.

Because that has been the general THRUST of the opioid epidemic, that doctors and pill companies have been over-medicating, pushing this stuff on people like crazy. If you are talking about illegal use, then we have an opioid epidemic, a heroin epidemic, an LSD epidemic, a barbiturate epidemic, a coke epidemic, and a pot epidemic.

We also have an poor education epidemic, a government waste epidemic, an over-population epidemic, and many others to follow.

Cannabis isn't even close to those other drugs that you listed. All the drugs you listed are physically addictive. Marijuana isn't.

No. I did not say heroin was prescribed, but you thought you would be cute, and you're not. You're just being disingenuous.

Well a large part of the overdoses these days is when the dealers add things to the drugs

fentanyl is often added very dangerous

my now deceased brother in law had a severe problem with it

All the drugs you listed are physically addictive. Marijuana isn't.

Marijuana might still be considered an epidemic, especially now that it is being widely legalized with whole cities full of people walking around in public openly smoking it and always stoned. No, it isn't physically addictive but it is psychologically addictive, which might be even more insidious, and some say it is a gateway to the harder stuff.

No. I did not say heroin was prescribed, but you thought you would be cute, and you're not. You're just being disingenuous.

Screw you, moron. Don't for one minute try putting words in my mouth or think for one second you can second guess what I "thought" or what I intended, or what I was "being." I don't play those games and I won't play them with you.

You will rue the day you jumped on the "epidemic' bandwagon and cant get needed meds.....for your own good of course

WTF does politics have to do with this? I just showed you the states with the largest drug problems are RED STATES... and you keep blaming liberals.
I love it when a liberal says it is a red state, but the cities in those red states are liberal with liberal mayors, who don't give a shit about the voters except when they need the vote. Too funny, about how stupid liberals are.

Forum List

Back