The Only Thing About OWS I Find Even Vaguely Understandable

The first time the U.S. implemented a maximum wage was in 1942, when President Roosevelt said that “no American citizen ought to have an income, after he has paid his taxes, of more than $25,000 a year,” the equivalent of $315,000 today.

Some version of a maximum wage law was in effect until 1980. Before 1964, income over $400,000 in today’s dollars faced a 91 percent federal tax rate, and the top-bracket tax rate never dipped below 70%. Under Reagan, the top tax rate slid down to 28 percent.

Maximum Wage Law Passes Congress

So, if taxing income in excess of (at the time) $25,000 at 91% isn't a maximum wage, what is it?

It's a way to encourage hiding income, evasion, and other tricks.
You fail.
Again.
Not to mention giving Unions an excuse for raising what they are paid.

The first time the U.S. implemented a maximum wage was in 1942, when President Roosevelt said that “no American citizen ought to have an income, after he has paid his taxes, of more than $25,000 a year,” the equivalent of $315,000 today.

Some version of a maximum wage law was in effect until 1980. Before 1964, income over $400,000 in today’s dollars faced a 91 percent federal tax rate, and the top-bracket tax rate never dipped below 70%. Under Reagan, the top tax rate slid down to 28 percent.

So, if taxing income in excess of (at the time) $25,000 at 91% isn't a maximum wage, what is it?
Not what you say it is, that's what. Your question was answered above.

And the feds get the authority to mandate how much money a person is entitled to comes from where?

The homecooked meal if items are purchased in bulk and on sale. Added bonus: you can cook more than you need and freeze it for future meals. But admittedly, one would have to get off their drive-thru butt and actually 'do it themselves'.

No need to buy in bulk. Dinner for 6:

Ground Chuck: $3.50
Corn on the Cob: $3.00
Hamburger Buns: $2.50
Gallon of Milk: $3.00

Total: $12.00 or $2 per person. Plus we'll have enough milk for breakfast tomorrow.

No need to but . . . if you purchase the product when it is at it's lowest price (and utilize coupons at this time), buy the family pack size rather than the smaller size, buy a few more than what you will need/use/eat in a week and freeze it/store it, you will then have the product when you need it at a lower cost. Do this on a consistent basis and you will never pay full price for items again.

As an example . . . Eight O'Clock coffee here is $5.99/12 oz bag. I gather coupons (usually $2 off of two bags coupon) and wait until the coffee goes on a BOGO sale then purchase enough to last us four months, which is how often they put this coffee on a BOGO sale.

Full price for 16 bags: $95.84
BOGO sale plus coupons price: $31.92 (BOGO price = $47.92 minus another $16 in coupons)
Savings: $63.92 or 67% or $1.99/bag vs. $5.99 bag!

Either way I'm going to be spending money on coffee; shopping sales/coupons/bulk saves money. The bulk doesn't have to be massive, just enough to last until the next time the product goes on sale.

You can shop the sales week to week but if you purchase a bit in bulk it will last longer and save you time/money in the long run. The more you do it the easier it becomes.

I started a couponing thread, but I've been lazy as all get out because we have just had the most amazing Indian summer where the temps have been in the 80's and its just been wonderous.

I'm on a major migratory path as well and so I'm loving every minute of it. BUT I will get back to that coupon thread and hopefully you'll join me.

When I lived south, I never paid more than pennies for food with couponing. They give you free. They give you doubles at Krogers. Holy toledo they give you triple plays.

All legal. Smart shopping. I'm with you as soon as the temps go back to normal.:eusa_angel:

And the feds get the authority to mandate how much money a person is entitled to comes from where?
Obama's Pay Czar?

Obama's Pay Czar?

Check out Cass Sunstein. His bio in wiki alone will set your hair on fire. Having been a former ridgeback owner he embarrasses the crap out of me that he could be that left wing nutbar and still have lived with that breed.

Cass is the penultimate left wing nutbar. And he's a biggie in the administration.

Obama's Pay Czar?

Check out Cass Sunstein. His bio in wiki alone will set your hair on fire. Having been a former ridgeback owner he embarrasses the crap out of me that he could be that left wing nutbar and still have lived with that breed.

Cass is the penultimate left wing nutbar. And he's a biggie in the administration.
Indeed. And thank you for eleaborating.

Too bad people think they want the government dictating from on high what people make or don't. They certainly aren't advocating Free Market as Obama says he is.

Actions and words are two different things with this current infestation.

Obama's Pay Czar?

Indeed. And thank you for eleaborating.

Too bad people think they want the government dictating from on high what people make or don't. They certainly aren't advocating Free Market as Obama says he is.

Actions and words are two different things with this current infestation.

Exactly. Axelrod has been an excellent handler in the sense that he can put out a media driven image of a "caring I feel your pain President even though I'm sipping champagne and eating Kobe beef steaks".

Then you have the useful idiots like Warren out there going "please take my money I'm too rich" and it makes you shake your head thinking did Obama get him a 12 year old to say that?

Sheesh.

What's crazier is that number of Wall Streeters who donate to the Dems. It's like this self flaggelating syndrome. Bizarre as all get out.

But then I am sane. Democrats aren't.

The homecooked meal if items are purchased in bulk and on sale. Added bonus: you can cook more than you need and freeze it for future meals. But admittedly, one would have to get off their drive-thru butt and actually 'do it themselves'.

No need to buy in bulk. Dinner for 6:

Ground Chuck: $3.50
Corn on the Cob: $3.00
Hamburger Buns: $2.50
Gallon of Milk: $3.00

Total: $12.00 or $2 per person. Plus we'll have enough milk for breakfast tomorrow.

No need to but . . . if you purchase the product when it is at it's lowest price (and utilize coupons at this time), buy the family pack size rather than the smaller size, buy a few more than what you will need/use/eat in a week and freeze it/store it, you will then have the product when you need it at a lower cost. Do this on a consistent basis and you will never pay full price for items again.

As an example . . . Eight O'Clock coffee here is $5.99/12 oz bag. I gather coupons (usually $2 off of two bags coupon) and wait until the coffee goes on a BOGO sale then purchase enough to last us four months, which is how often they put this coffee on a BOGO sale.

Full price for 16 bags: $95.84
BOGO sale plus coupons price: $31.92 (BOGO price = $47.92 minus another $16 in coupons)
Savings: $63.92 or 67% or $1.99/bag vs. $5.99 bag!

Either way I'm going to be spending money on coffee; shopping sales/coupons/bulk saves money. The bulk doesn't have to be massive, just enough to last until the next time the product goes on sale.

You can shop the sales week to week but if you purchase a bit in bulk it will last longer and save you time/money in the long run. The more you do it the easier it becomes.

Oh I know. I've fed my kids for a week on $100.

This is why I was reticent to just flat out call you a liar - even though it seemed absurd to me. Okay, at least you've got something to back up what you stated but it would never work today.
For one, most of the people that fall in the applicable bracket nowadays, own or are a part of MNE's. The ease of avoiding (as oppose to evading) taxes is too easy. If anything was done to do what you suggest, we would see an exodus of Execs becoming dual-citizens of other countries that would gladly welcome their money.
Res ipsa loquitur...

Forum List

Back