The Only Thing About OWS I Find Even Vaguely Understandable

No, because my dorky family doesn't like seafood. Dorks! We eat a lot of chicken! lol

Katie hates seafood. So I feel your pain! I LOVE seafood, including sushi, and especially sushi, and my woman can't even stand the smell of it!

I had never had sushi until my brother made some several years ago and bought it over for a family get together. I tried some and loved it! People who haven't tried it shouldn't knock it.

My oldest will eat some sea food but the others? Nope. I usually order seafood when we go out, if it's prepared right (not fried, not a fan of that).

I live on the Gulf Coast, which is my super market. I'm saddened to hear you folks don't like seafood, but then again,, it leaves more for me..Yum.. I had fried shrimp and a baked snapper on Friday.. whoop.

You do not understand poverty.

when you have ten bucks to feed the family dinner and no other money you can not bulk shop

Of course you can. For that $10 you can purchase a family pack of boneless chicken on sale; two 5lb bags of potatoes on a bogo sale (thus having them for future meals); couple of cans or frozen bags of veggies on sale.

I live alone and don't go to any restaurants anymore. I spend $25.00 a week for food. Nice.

Awesome........ When the children moved out the hardest thing was learning to cook for just the wife and I. Now with three grandchildren here, my wife and I will have to learn it again. I dont know if I could get it down to that level. Hat Tip!

Okay, these folks have me convinced that they're mostly just a bunch of whackjobs. Here's the blurb from Wiki:

The participants of the events are mainly protesting against social and economic inequality, corporate greed, and the influence of corporate money and lobbyists on government, among other concerns.[10][11] Adbusters states that, "Beginning from one simple demand – a presidential commission to separate money from politics – we start setting the agenda for a new America."

So what are they gonna do? Pass laws that people can't get TOO rich? Will we have statutes against emotions / character flaws?
"The citizens shall not be jealous, sentimental or greedy..." WTF?

The only thing I can understand is the concern about corporate influence and lobbyists. Hell, I can even agree that's bad for our government.

I wonder. Will it also apply to unions?

Pass a law putting a ceiling on how much wealth greedy Americans can amass? Not likely. This is the US of A, where money has more value than ideals, morals, principles and sometimes even life

What should become law, however, is making the wholesale outsourcing of American jobs a criminal offense. That might slow down America's gluttonous appetite for attaining more and more wealth a tiny bit. The upside, some Americans would go back to work. As for diminishing Daddy Warbucks treasure chest, well since America doesn't work for $5.00 a day perhaps it could..

But even that might be too late to stop the damage already done to us by us. Nothing is built or manufactured here anymore. Our once prosperous steel mills and foundries are silent and cold. While in pursuit of the almighty dollar, which isn't worth $.50, we let everything that once made us the most envied nation slip away.

It has never been Government's function to create private sector jobs or keep the nation employed. The only jobs government generates are government jobs and there are more than enough of those already. And even if corporate America were to have a sudden epiphany causing them to give a fat rat's ass about about the situation, would they be able to effectively find new needs. Jobs fill a need. Where no need exists there is no need for a job.

And finally, IMHO, there is something off-kilter, sinister and decidedly unhealthy about anyone who can't ever get enough money. What floors me is that these a**holes insatiable greed is defended as if it defined who we are. Perhaps it is. If so, God help us. But I'm not sure He can do anything or for that matter would.

I guess my question to you would be this, Poli...would you rather have people who are obsessed with creating wealth...or people who refuse to even try? My main problem with the OWS activists is that they appear to be against capitalism yet they expect money FROM capitalists to be given to them in the form of high minimum wages, free tuition, a guaranteed "living wage" (ie, the Dole), and free health care so that they can live a happy and carefree life.

Quite frankly, I find them to be rather naive about how the world functions and what it "owes" them.

People overall, don't want a handout. They want an opportunity.

I think there's a real disconnect among conservatives related to that understanding. There is not enough gainful employment available. Outsourcing, scientific management and automation (or as Republicans call it, 'High worker productivity') have lowered the meaningful jobs available per capita, which has driven down wages for the jobs that do exist.

Some of these protesters understand that; Some don't, but know something is 'off;' and perhaps yes a minority are looking for a handout - This is true of any groundswell.

But I do wish you and yours would acknowledge the mathematics about this, and not just what you perceive as the ideology.

Ideology: 'It's capitalism, there's winners and losers, tough shit.'
Reality: Mathematically, there's going to be a lot more losers than there used to be. The longer this continues and the more severe it becomes, the less stable we will be as a society.

Last edited:
As we gather
together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must
not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people
who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we
are your allies. As one people, united, we acknowledge the
reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of
its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon
corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their
own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government
derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek
consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no
true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic
power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit
over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality,
run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right,
to let these facts be known. They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage. They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the
workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity
and sexual orientation. They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel
treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these
practices. They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions. They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right. They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay. They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for
ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance. They have sold our privacy as a commodity. They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press. They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit. They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce. They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them. They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save
people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a
substantive profit. They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit. They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media. They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt. They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad. They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas. They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.* To the people of the world, We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.
Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space;
create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions
accessible to everyone. To all communities that take
action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer
support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal. Join us and make your voices heard!

iphone-5-release-apple-fans-opening-iphone-4s-4-20111004.jpg

A person with an iPad takes a photograph of a large flag as demonstrators with 'Occupy Wall Street' occupy Zuccotti Park in New York. Sept. 30, 2011.
(STAN HONDA - AFP/Getty Images)

Yeah, these guys hate coporate greed. See how much they hate it with all their schmancy technology? :lol: COWS

Yeah, these guys hate coporate greed. See how much they hate it with all their schmancy technology?

So in your view, the phrase "corporate greed" is one word? You can't have corporations and their products without tolerating unlimited greed? If you say that corporations have too much influence on the government and you want to pare that back, but you don't want to destroy the corporations themselves and everything they produce, you're a hypocrite?

Explain, please.

As we gather
together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must
not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people
who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we
are your allies. As one people, united, we acknowledge the
reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of
its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon
corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their
own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government
derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek
consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no
true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic
power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit
over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality,
run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right,
to let these facts be known. They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage. They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the
workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity
and sexual orientation. They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel
treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these
practices. They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions. They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right. They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay. They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for
ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance. They have sold our privacy as a commodity. They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press. They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit. They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce. They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them. They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save
people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a
substantive profit. They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit. They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media. They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt. They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad. They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas. They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.* To the people of the world, We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.
Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space;
create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions
accessible to everyone. To all communities that take
action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer
support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal. Join us and make your voices heard!

iphone-5-release-apple-fans-opening-iphone-4s-4-20111004.jpg

A person with an iPad takes a photograph of a large flag as demonstrators with 'Occupy Wall Street' occupy Zuccotti Park in New York. Sept. 30, 2011.
(STAN HONDA - AFP/Getty Images)

Yeah, these guys hate coporate greed. See how much they hate it with all their schmancy technology? :lol: COWS

Aren't IPads expensive? Just think how much good food they could purchase for the price of that IPad.

Of course you can. For that $10 you can purchase a family pack of boneless chicken on sale; two 5lb bags of potatoes on a bogo sale (thus having them for future meals); couple of cans or frozen bags of veggies on sale.

I live alone and don't go to any restaurants anymore. I spend $25.00 a week for food. Nice.

Awesome........ When the children moved out the hardest thing was learning to cook for just the wife and I. Now with three grandchildren here, my wife and I will have to learn it again. I dont know if I could get it down to that level. Hat Tip!

I like to stay within a budget and pay my C/C balance off in full every month, so unlike our government, I do what it takes to acheive my goals and not go into debt. I have reduced my spending. I also don't buy junk food. I went to store brands on most things and since I like to stay in shape, I avoid overeating. I am also not cynical, rather grateful, that I can, as of this post, get by on $25.00 a week for food.

Thanks for that friendly "hat tip." Made me smile...:)

However naïve or unrealistic the OWS ‘platform’ may be, it clearly addresses issues of concern to many Americans, and indeed dovetails with many TPM issues, particularly with regard to bailouts and undue corporate influence in the political process.

And yes, early on before it was hijacked and it's demands started to look eerily similar to that of the Chamber of Commerce, the tea party folks had a lot in common with the OWS folks.

Correct.

However naïve or unrealistic the OWS ‘platform’ may be, it clearly addresses issues of concern to many Americans, and indeed dovetails with many TPM issues, particularly with regard to bailouts and undue corporate influence in the political process.

And yes, early on before it was hijacked and it's demands started to look eerily similar to that of the Chamber of Commerce, the tea party folks had a lot in common with the OWS folks.

Correct.

No, it doesn't address concerns of most Americans. That is a fallacy. Most Americans are not interested in sticking it to corporations or playing class warfare. Most Americans only want to be able to work and get ahead.
The TPM was interested in getting government to cut its programs and reduce its spending. The OWS movement is interested in getting gov't to put more regulations and restrictions in place.

Pass a law putting a ceiling on how much wealth greedy Americans can amass? Not likely. This is the US of A, where money has more value than ideals, morals, principles and sometimes even life

What should become law, however, is making the wholesale outsourcing of American jobs a criminal offense. That might slow down America's gluttonous appetite for attaining more and more wealth a tiny bit. The upside, some Americans would go back to work. As for diminishing Daddy Warbucks treasure chest, well since America doesn't work for $5.00 a day perhaps it could..

But even that might be too late to stop the damage already done to us by us. Nothing is built or manufactured here anymore. Our once prosperous steel mills and foundries are silent and cold. While in pursuit of the almighty dollar, which isn't worth $.50, we let everything that once made us the most envied nation slip away.

It has never been Government's function to create private sector jobs or keep the nation employed. The only jobs government generates are government jobs and there are more than enough of those already. And even if corporate America were to have a sudden epiphany causing them to give a fat rat's ass about about the situation, would they be able to effectively find new needs. Jobs fill a need. Where no need exists there is no need for a job.

And finally, IMHO, there is something off-kilter, sinister and decidedly unhealthy about anyone who can't ever get enough money. What floors me is that these a**holes insatiable greed is defended as if it defined who we are. Perhaps it is. If so, God help us. But I'm not sure He can do anything or for that matter would.

I guess my question to you would be this, Poli...would you rather have people who are obsessed with creating wealth...or people who refuse to even try? My main problem with the OWS activists is that they appear to be against capitalism yet they expect money FROM capitalists to be given to them in the form of high minimum wages, free tuition, a guaranteed "living wage" (ie, the Dole), and free health care so that they can live a happy and carefree life.

Quite frankly, I find them to be rather naive about how the world functions and what it "owes" them.

I think there's a real disconnect among conservatives related to that understanding. There is not enough gainful employment available. Outsourcing, scientific management and automation (or as Republicans call it, 'High worker productivity') have lowered the meaningful jobs available per capita, which has driven down wages for the jobs that do exist.

Some of these protesters understand that; Some don't, but know something is 'off;' and perhaps yes a minority are looking for a handout - This is true of any groundswell.

But I do wish you and yours would acknowledge the mathematics about this, and not just what you perceive as the ideology.

Reality: Mathematically, there's going to be a lot more losers than there used to be. The longer this continues and the more severe it becomes, the less stable we will be as a society.

People want opportunity not a handout? While I agree with you that most Americans DO just want an opportunity I don't agree with you that the OWS activists feel that way. They believe that the rich "owe" them a living wage whether they are employed or not and the pardoning of all debt.

How can you call calling for those things a plea for "opportunity"? That's leaching off of the part of society that creates wealth by those who don't even try. You talk about winners and losers? I look at the protesters in New York City and I see people who revel in BEING losers. They don't want opportunity...they DEMAND handouts. That isn't my ideology talking...I'm just calling it like I see it.

People want opportunity not a handout? While I agree with you that most Americans DO just want an opportunity I don't agree with you that the OWS activists feel that way. They believe that the rich "owe" them a living wage whether they are employed or not and the pardoning of all debt.

How can you call calling for those things a plea for "opportunity"? That's leaching off of the part of society that creates wealth by those who don't even try. You talk about winners and losers? I look at the protesters in New York City and I see people who revel in BEING losers. They don't want opportunity...they DEMAND handouts. That isn't my ideology talking...I'm just calling it like I see it.

Seek and ye shall find. I can accept that your preferred information sources have chosen to focus on the bad apples.

It's also true imo the lack of opportunity when so few have so, soooo much, can both confuse and infuriate those who were sold the American dream only to find out they haven't been selected to participate in it.

Even those you perceive as only wanting a handout probably wouldn't be protesting if they could find a job. Like I said... Confused and infuriated.

If something doesn't change, this sort of thing will continue and perpetuate. I wish the right would acknowledge that, even if they're unwilling to concede any of the rabble's observations. If you're unable to do so for reasons of fairness or empathy, acknowledge and address it for the reasons of maintaining discipline.

Eventually, we as a people will have no choice but to address it - That's just the way a society works. And the problems are probably far easier to fix now than they will be if you let it get to that point...

Yeah, these guys hate coporate greed. See how much they hate it with all their schmancy technology?

So in your view, the phrase "corporate greed" is one word? You can't have corporations and their products without tolerating unlimited greed?

wtf? Where'd you get this from? To the COWS profits = greed yet they buy the products from said corps (they support the greed) at the same time as as they bitch about the corps greed. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

If you say that corporations have too much influence on the government and you want to pare that back, but you don't want to destroy the corporations themselves and everything they produce, you're a hypocrite?

I don't recall saying this. Oh yeah, cause I didn't.

It is the Left's meme that "corporations have too much influence on government." But I've never seen that demonstrated. Corporations have an impact on the economy and thus are subject to concern by gov't. But that isn't the same thing..
And what is "greed"? I can be as greedy as I want. that doesn't mean people will give me money. Ditto for corps. My little sub-S corp is very greedy. I want to make money. I do that by providing a superior level of goods and services to customers, so I will generate more sales. That's just like big corps. If they don't do that, they go out of business (like Sunbeam). Or else the Left screams that we have to save jobs and throws gobs of taxpayer money at them.

Here's the one thing I find understandable: complaining about massive student debt for worthless degrees.

Which means the real target should be Universities.

A good comment from elsewhere:

UPDATE: Reader Eliot Picard writes:

In observing the Occupy protests, including milling about the crowds in Boston near my office, it is quite apparent that the student loan debt bomb is probably the main impetus for these actions. It goes without saying that the students and former students facing non-bankruptable debt and minimal job prospects have a legitimate grievance although we may certainly disagree on what needs to be done. One question that keeps occurring to me is whether the colleges and universities that encourage degrees in various useless humanities disciplines bear some significant responsibility for this crisis.

One can only assume that presidents, deans, provosts, etc. know fully well that there is a limited market for degrees in Wommyn’s Studies, Language Arts and the like. My mother, ever the incisive wit, G-d bless her, called the graduates of such programs “unemployable at a higher level”. Indeed, when I finished a double major B.A. in Biology and Philosophy (Rensselaer Polytech, class of 1990) and expressed interest in graduate level philosophy I was told that the school had shut down the Ph.D. program to discourage students from doing much more in the field that I had done already. Clearly RPI knew that allowing and encouraging such a path of study was tantamount to academic malpractice. This sort of sane pedagogical judgement, from which I benefitted in my impetuous youth, has been missing across the rest of academia.

Is there some room for legal action to “claw back” arguably misspent tuition dollars from the universities (IANAL so forgive my obvious misuse of that term). I cannot but think that there has to be some sanction against those universities and their officials who were more than happy to take the big tuition checks while failing to look after the interests of the students in their charge.

Instapundit

So what are they gonna do? Pass laws that people can't get TOO rich?

Well, it has been done before and when it was done, it was followed by the longest period of growth for the Middle Class in U.S. History. FDR put a maximum wage into place in 1942 and it stayed there in some form or another until the 80s.

Remember the 80s? It wasn't all about parachute pants and Madonna...there was also "Trickle Down". I remember both. Parachute pants worked out much better.

The only thing I can understand is the concern about corporate influence and lobbyists. Hell, I can even agree that's bad for our government.

Yes, it will. Unlike so-called conservatives, that only seem to want to get Union money out of politics, liberals want to get ALL the money out.

If I could write the amendment, I would allow individual donations only in the Primary and those would be capped at $100 and would be 100% transparent. General Elections would be publicly funded and all debates broadcast on public television, not on corporate television.

Also in my perfect political world, no campaign commercials could hide behind names like "Americans for freedom and other empty platitudes". 100% transparency there as well. I want to know whether it is Soros or the Kochs and all their little Koch suckers supporting this candidate or issue.

If anyone wants to buy off a politician, they are going to have to do it illegally and under the table...where they can get caught and put in jail...not on the House floor.

LiveLeak.com - Boehner Hands Out Lobbyist Checks on House floor for subsidy vote

So wait. You're saying there was a law providing a ceiling on how much someone could make until the 80's? Gotta link? I find that hard to believe.

Well, it has been done before and when it was done, it was followed by the longest period of growth for the Middle Class in U.S. History. FDR put a maximum wage into place in 1942 and it stayed there in some form or another until the 80s.

Remember the 80s? It wasn't all about parachute pants and Madonna...there was also "Trickle Down". I remember both. Parachute pants worked out much better.

Yes, it will. Unlike so-called conservatives, that only seem to want to get Union money out of politics, liberals want to get ALL the money out.

If I could write the amendment, I would allow individual donations only in the Primary and those would be capped at $100 and would be 100% transparent. General Elections would be publicly funded and all debates broadcast on public television, not on corporate television.

Also in my perfect political world, no campaign commercials could hide behind names like "Americans for freedom and other empty platitudes". 100% transparency there as well. I want to know whether it is Soros or the Kochs and all their little Koch suckers supporting this candidate or issue.

If anyone wants to buy off a politician, they are going to have to do it illegally and under the table...where they can get caught and put in jail...not on the House floor.

LiveLeak.com - Boehner Hands Out Lobbyist Checks on House floor for subsidy vote

So wait. You're saying there was a law providing a ceiling on how much someone could make until the 80's? Gotta link? I find that hard to believe.

There isn't one. You won't get a straight answer because the fact was made up.

OMG! Somebody actually thinks that happened?

I like to stay within a budget and pay my C/C balance off in full every month, so unlike our government, I do what it takes to acheive my goals and not go into debt. I have reduced my spending. I also don't buy junk food. I went to store brands on most things and since I like to stay in shape, I avoid overeating. I am also not cynical, rather grateful, that I can, as of this post, get by on $25.00 a week for food.

Thanks for that friendly "hat tip." Made me smile...:)

:clap2: :clap2:

We do very similarly and it's what the gov't and everyone should strive for.

What's being referred to by a "ceiling" on wealth is a confiscatory top marginal tax bracket. Under Eisenhower it was a 91% tax on income above (in today's dollars) $1.6 million.

OMG! Somebody actually thinks that happened?

Well I figured that rather than just immediately call him a liar, I'd give him a chance to come up with .... something. Anything. A law prohibiting uh... flatulence in bank elevators or something. I was just curious to see where he'd go with that. I try not to directly insult anyone unless they have insulted me first.

Forum List

Back