The one thing that might end the birther debate once and for all . . .

allyn211

Jan 20, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Is there any way to find out if Barack Obama's mother traveled to Kenya and back during 1961? Are there passenger lists from planes, ships, whatever from back then?

Do you think it would matter if there is? Rightwing nuts didn't believe the birth certificate. Why would they believe passenger records?

Is there any way to find out if Barack Obama's mother traveled to Kenya and back during 1961? Are there passenger lists from planes, ships, whatever from back then?

Well, we already know that she did. The claim is that she returned to Hawaii in time to give birth, not that she never went. Passenger records are not available from 50 years ago because there were not computers back then and paper records of 50 years ago have all been purged.

There is a newspaper clipping announcing obama's birth. Which doesn't mean he was born in Hawaii, but that his birth was announced in Hawaii. He may have been born there, he may not have been. obama's auntie says she was present and watched him being born in Kenya. The hospital says they looked at their records (although they won't produce them) and there is a record of the obama birth.

Who ya gonna believe?

I personally don't care where he was born, but if the birth excuse can be used to bash him with, I'm all for it.

Going to Kenya to give birth was very popular in the 60s

pettj20110428a_low.jpg

Going to Kenya to give birth was very popular in the 60s

As I recall from the 60s, having babies at home without registering the birth was very popular in the counter culture.

My beatnik parents made it real hard for me to aquire a birth certificate for this very reason. When I started school, they (the school) accepted a naming certificate from the Temple.

Oops! they named me in the temple, must not have been that 'beatnik' after all.

After watching this controversy for about 5 years, as Hillary started this in the democrat primary, I would say that President Obama has complete control over this entire "issue". It serves him in some way to remain quiet about it, so he does.

Doesn't mean he isn't qualified to hold office, just that he is very good at the political game.

Well, we already know that she did. The claim is that she returned to Hawaii in time to give birth, not that she never went. Passenger records are not available from 50 years ago because there were not computers back then and paper records of 50 years ago have all been purged.

There is a newspaper clipping announcing obama's birth. Which doesn't mean he was born in Hawaii, but that his birth was announced in Hawaii. He may have been born there, he may not have been. obama's auntie says she was present and watched him being born in Kenya. The hospital says they looked at their records (although they won't produce them) and there is a record of the obama birth.

Who ya gonna believe?

I personally don't care where he was born, but if the birth excuse can be used to bash him with, I'm all for it.

I'm asking this question with all sincerity: Where is the source for the assertion that Ann Dunham went to Kenya? Has someone written about her traveling there and back?

Actually, the person you're referring to who allegedly saw Obama born in Kenya was his step-grandmother, Sarah Obama, not his aunt:

An incorrect but popularly reported claim is that his father's stepmother, Sarah Obama, told Anabaptist Bishop Ron McRae in a recorded transatlantic telephone conversation that she was present when Obama was born in Kenya.
The McClatchy newspapers gave an explanation of how the story about Obama's step-grandmother began. The tape is cut off in the middle of the conversation, before the passage in which she clarifies her meaning: "'Obama was not born in Mombasa. He was born in America,' the translator says after talking to the woman. ... Another response later says, 'Obama in Hawaii. Hawaii. She says he was born in Hawaii.'"[61]
Sarah Obama shed more light on the controversy in a 2007 interview with the Chicago Tribune. In the interview, Obama's paternal step grandmother stated that six months after Barack Obama Sr. and Ann Dunham were married, she received a letter at her home in Kenya announcing the birth of Barack Obama II, who was born August 4, 1961.[62]
In a June 2012 interview at her Kenyan home, Sarah Obama was asked: "Some people want to believe that the president was born in Kenya. Have these people ever bothered you or asked for his birth certificate?" Her response was: "But Barack Obama wasn’t born in Kenya."[63]

I cut and pasted the above paragraph from Wikipedia. The sources they used were:

61. Thomma, Steven (July 30, 2009). "Here's the truth: 'Birther' claims are just plain nuts". McClatchy Newspapers.

62. Jones, Tim (March 27, 2007). "Barack Obama: Mother not just a girl from Kansas". Hartford Courant.[dead link]

63. ?Barack Obama wasn?t born in Kenya? - Salon.com

Why would it matter? As long as she was a citizen, he's a citizen, no matter where he was born.

Why would it matter? As long as she was a citizen, he's a citizen, no matter where he was born.

I do have a question: If a child is born overseas to *one* American parent, does it matter if that parent is the father or the mother?

I've pointed out many times there is no evidence Obama's mother traveled to Kenya, ever. In her entire life.

It does not matter if there is video of Obama emerging from the womb with footage of Hawaii right outside the window. You will never, ever get a birther to face the fact their negro President was born in the US of A.

Obama's aunt furious Trump questions his birthplace

Donald Trump created controversy, questioning whether President Barack Obama was born in this country. Now the President's aunt is saying Trump is insulting her family.

“He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii,”” said Zeituni Onyango.

Zeituni Onyango, President Obama's aunt, says she's angry and hurt about Donald Trump questioning the President's birthplace by quoting her 88-year-old mother in Kenya, the President's Grandmother.

“His grandmother is Kenya said he was born in Kenya and she was there and witnessed the birth,” said Trump. “Three weeks ago when I started I thought he was probably born in this country and now I really have a much bigger doubt.”

“A naked lie in the name of the Lord,” said Onyango. “He’s lying.”

Forum List

Back