The Olympics

Good job of giving this a neutral title. I think that is important in this forum.

The possibility and reality of some folks cheating should not be the reason to end the Olympic spirit and mission. Indeed, it points to the reason we need to support these type of efforts even more. Should be end the Nobel Peace Prize, because some have been given the reward for political reasons?

Good job of giving this a neutral title. I think that is important in this forum.

The possibility and reality of some folks cheating should not be the reason to end the Olympic spirit and mission. Indeed, it points to the reason we need to support these type of efforts even more. Should be end the Nobel Peace Prize, because some have been given the reward for political reasons?

So what can we do to fix the problems?

Cheaters are clever many times. Penalize cheaters more heavily. Peer pressure works pretty well, go after all the medals of the team. You could alternately, ban the country from the next Olympics.

Preemptive drug testing would be nice. If you take PEDs and you win only later to have your medal stripped: well, you still won that day, you stood on the podium, got the admiration, endorsement deals, etc. If you weren't even allowed to compete: much bigger deterrent.

For people throwing games/matches/races: what are you gonna do? If you know for sure, kick 'em out. But the bottom line is that wherever there is competition, there's going to be cheaters.

The Olympics are great because it puts a lot of spectacular athletes on a big world stage to compete against the world's best. It awards them with the honor of competing for their country, connects them with the best competition in the world and lets the world into their sport which is often not televised (with the exception of basketball in the summer and hockey at the winter games).

I watched some womens beach vollyball today, not sure who was playing or who won but it was fantastic.

Having played beach volleyball, I appreciate the reaction time it takes on the sand, strategy and amount of area you must defend.

Here are my issues with the Olympics.
1) They are boring beyond belief

2) Who cares if you’re a gold mentalist ice skater, how many people worldwide even train for it, a couple hundred at most? Grats you’re the best at a sport no one even does.

3) Drugs, not limited to steroid use.

4) Did I mention it’s boring to watch?

I watched some womens beach vollyball today, not sure who was playing or who won but it was fantastic.

They do have the best butts in the Olympics. Wait, how would I know, I don’t watch them… Oh yeah, my wife is the one that tells me they have $$ ass’s, lol

2) Who cares if you’re a gold mentalist ice skater, how many people worldwide even train for it, a couple hundred at most? Grats you’re the best at a sport no one even does.

How many could have the dedication it takes to perform at that level?

Each event has specialized skills to appreciate.

Most have sacrificed a great deal to achieve what they have.

Some of the personal back stories are awesome.

How many could have the dedication it takes to perform at that level?

Each event has specialized skills to appreciate.

Most have sacrificed a great deal to achieve what they have.

Some of the personal back stories are awesome.

I guess I don't care that someone gave up something so they can sprint 50 yards the fastest... I'm in pretty great shape and I view what they do as obsessively boring. As I also mentioned the drug use is very high, so really, few to none of them “have what it takes.” Pretty much one country used steroids and won near everything years ago and now it’s a standard or you lose.

There are many kinds of steroids, not all are for being as big as Arnold or Jay Cutler, some use them so they can peddle harder on a bike for a longer period of time, lol...

You can pack red blood cells too. I understand the dark side of what you're talking about. Like most things in life you can choose negative or positive.

You can pack red blood cells too. I understand the dark side of what you're talking about. Like most things in life you can choose negative or positive.

Well seeing as winning a gold yields you millions of dollars there is a lot of reason for people to make that negative choice, and for the most part in the Olympics, they do just that.

Well seeing as winning a gold yields you millions of dollars there is a lot of reason for people to make that negative choice, and for the most part in the Olympics, they do just that.

I doubt the lady who won skeet or judo will reap millions.

One thing I can say is that I don't think they should have to pay taxes on their medals unless they sell them.

I think it's criminal that our government has to take their pound of flesh out of everything, even an Olympic medal.

Forum List

Back