The Olympics and its narratives

No athlete with any hope of getting an Olympic medal would ever skip them for something like this. This would be akin to the USFL or such. You would not get the big name athletes, which means nobody would watch for the most part.
Well, no.. You have the "privately" sponsored games (summer events) while the Winter games are going on. Like in 2026 the Winter games are in Milan. Have the "Apple" "Summer Olympics" in Los Angeles that same year. When the Summer games are going on in Paris in 2024 if you can finagle it..have an "Apple" "Winter Olympics" in Oslo or Park City.

The skaters, skiers, bobsledders, and alpine snipers will not have to choose between which games to compete in.

Way back in the day, the NIT used to be a bigger deal than the NCAA. A shit-ton of money and some marketing and the Final Four is a bigger deal than the entire NIT tournament (if they still have the NIT). I predict that something similar could happen here

Yes, and she - at 15 - could have easily mistaken her grandfather's meds for her own as she claimed.

There's no basis for this claim.

Again, no basis for this claim.
All maybes. And it doesn’t matter. If she did make this mistake, the result still should have been a ban. Sadly. But those rules exist for a reason. If it wasn’t a mistake, she got ducked over big time.

There is no indication of any underlying health conditions, there were none claimed by the Russians.
Are you her physician?

Are you privileged to access her private medical records?
Most people did not blame the girl at all, I did not see anyone attack her at all, other than her coach after her long program.
That's why she fell apart huh?

No one attacked her and everyone around her, saying she should NOT be competing, all while knowing NOTHING about her situation?

Gottit.
The worst anyone said about her was that she should not be allowed to compete with a positive test.
They mindlessly tore her and her world apart.

It was - and is - disgusting.
And why you choose to ignore Russia's long history of doping and doing things like this I cannot understand.
Why you choose to ignore US Women's Gymnastics & other massive scandals I cannot understand, all while bashing a young woman you know NOTHING about.

Disgusting.
I do not disagree with this.
Good.

Maybe you should stop Russia-bashing and acting as an apologist for those who are bullying a 15 year old while knowing NOTHING about her situation.

All maybes.
Yes - all speculation.

But mine does NOT seek to bash Russia or a 15 year old girl while knowing NOTHING about her situation, unlike all of those ripping her apart while knowing NOTHING.

What was your take on Nick Sandmann?

Did you support his being torn apart for wearing a hat and smirking?
And it doesn’t matter. If she did make this mistake, the result still should have been a ban.
The court disagreed and articulated its reasons.

She, like Sandmann, was torn apart anyway.

Disgusting.
Sadly. But those rules exist for a reason. If it wasn’t a mistake, she got ducked over big time.
The court ruled in her favor, and that should have been the end of it.

But she was torn apart.

THAT is sad.

She was torn apart by hysterical, ignorant fools.

A Russian/female Nick Sandmann.

Yes - all speculation.

But mine does NOT seek to bash Russia or a 15 year old girl while knowing NOTHING about her situation, unlike all of those ripping her apart while knowing NOTHING.

What was your take on Nick Sandmann?

Did you support his being torn apart for wearing a hat and smirking?

The court disagreed and articulated its reasons.

She, like Sandmann, was torn apart anyway.

Disgusting.

The court ruled in her favor, and that should have been the end of it.

But she was torn apart.

THAT is sad.

She was torn apart by hysterical, ignorant fools.

A Russian/female Nick Sandmann.
Nick did nothing wrong. And it was clear on the video. I suspect that the young Russian woman did nothing wrong, but that’s not evident. It requires speculation. Given the history of Russian Olympic behavior, my speculation that they screwed over their own 15 year old athlete is more informed guesswork.

Bottom line: fuck the Russian Olympic scumbags.

Nick did nothing wrong. And it was clear on the video. I suspect that the young Russian woman did nothing wrong, but that’s not evident. It requires speculation. Given the history of Russian Olympic behavior, my speculation that they screwed over their own 15 year old athlete is more informed guesswork.

Bottom line: fuck the Russian Olympic scumbags.
Bottom line:

Fuck those who ignorantly bash anyone, but especially a vulnerable teenager.

Are you her physician?

Are you privileged to access her private medical records?

Just stating the facts. The Russians never claimed she had any medical issues

No one attacked her and everyone around her, saying she should NOT be competing, all while knowing NOTHING about her situation?

Gottit.

Her situation is she tested positive for a banned substance. Nobody is questioning that. And as such she should not have been able to compete. Those are the rules.

Why you choose to ignore US Women's Gymnastics & other massive scandals I cannot understand, all while bashing a young woman you know NOTHING about.

The two have nothing to do with each other. Pointing to some other bad behavior does not change this at all.

I have not bashed the young girl, I do not blame her in the slightest.

Maybe you should stop Russia-bashing and acting as an apologist for those who are bullying a 15 year old while knowing NOTHING about her situation.

Stating the known facts about Russia is not "russia bashing". There is a reason they are competing under the banner of the ROC and not their country. The only people bullying the 15 year old girl is Russia, whom you have an unnatural need to defend. But then again, you the guy who uses the swastika as his avatar, so I guess I should not be shocked.

So we agree. It’s not cool to bash the little athlete. And fuck the Russian Olympic scumbags who allowed this to happen to her.

I have not seen anyone say a bad thing about the athlete herself, nobody is blaming her in the least.

The Olympics and sports in general are not worth the prices we pay for seeing them anymore. But there are plenty of people who want to go to games and pay for them. And most peons who are forced to pay for them to watch TV. I did not watch 5 minutes of the Olympics that hopefully ended.

Yes, I find it very weird how much people are willing to pay. We make sports stars demi-gods and then watch them. I grew up on soccer, but haven't seen a match in a long, long time, just doesn't interest me much any more.

Sports is the best campfire we have that unites us at this point. Friendly athletic competition with other nations expands that campfire exponentially. That, in and of itself, is a great reason to embrace the Olympic ideals.

The IOC, however, is almost comically greedy in the way they mis-manage the games and grift the competing nations for every penny. For example, NBC has chunked in about $8B to buy the Games through 2032. This is one broadcaster in one nation of 180-200 that send teams. Similar figures are sure to exist in China, Japan, France, England, Russia, Indonesia, Australia, Brazil etc... Where does all that money go? The host nation often builds the venues. The IOC does contribute some monies--don't get me wrong--but not to the tune of (conservatively estimating) $20B made from broadcast rights alone. On top of that, host nations bid for the games. Tokyo bid $75B for the 2020 games.

I always thought that the OG were ripe for the picking. After all, it is just a bunch of athletic competitions happening at the same time, every 4 years. It can't be that expensive to hold these events in a city that already has swimming pools, athletic tracks, hotel rooms/dorm rooms, oceanfront, etc... You may have to cut back on the portfolio a bit (holding a marathon may run you into some permitting difficulties) but someone like Apple, Coke, McDonalds, Budweiser, etc... could put on a similar event; do it every 4 years to coincide with the Winter Games and go from there. Invite nations that want to send a delegation....if they don't...oh well. I guess we'll have to get by without a team from Argentina or whatever. The start-up costs would be pretty substantial but if it makes a profit the first time...the subsequent games would be comparatively easy to hold in a place like LA, Chicago, NY, or over in Europe.

That's the problem though, isn't it? We have this "friendly sports competition" but the US, UK, Russia and China take it far too seriously for internal nationalistic purposes.

Just stating the facts.
You don't know the facts.
The Russians never claimed she had any medical issues
Meaningless, and no one's business.
Her situation is she tested positive for a banned substance.
Yes.
Nobody is questioning that.
The court determined that she should be allowed to compete.

That should have been the end of it.

But the psychopaths, bullies and lunatic Russia-bashers had to go full derangement.
And as such she should not have been able to compete.
See above.
Those are the rules.
See above.
The two have nothing to do with each other.
Everything.
Pointing to some other bad behavior does not change this at all.
It makes the disgusting behavior of the deranged bullies even more hypocritical and insane.
I have not bashed the young girl,
Not directly, no.
I do not blame her in the slightest.
Good, as we know NOTHING about her situation.
Stating the known facts about Russia is not "russia bashing".
What about the known facts about US Women's Gymnastics?
There is a reason they are competing under the banner of the ROC and not their country.
Indeed; actually, many.
The only people bullying the 15 year old girl is Russia,
Baseless assertion.
whom you have an unnatural need to defend.
Fallacious and irrelevant claim.
But then again, you the guy who uses the swastika as his avatar, so I guess I should not be shocked.
See above.

You don't know the facts.

The facts are she tested positive for a banned substance.

The court determined that she should be allowed to compete.

That should have been the end of it.

Except for the court that said she could compete was the Russian court. Not what one would find to be a neutral source.

But the psychopaths, bullies and lunatic Russia-bashers had to go full derangement.

Once again with the blind Russia defending. From anyone else that would seem odd.

What about the known facts about US Women's Gymnastics?

The US Women's Gymnastics is not the topic of the thread. You attempting to use them to defend your precious Russia is not unlike Ted Bundy pointing at Jeffrey Dahmer and saying "well, at least I did not eat my victims".

Forum List

Back