The Old Car Gathering

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Today I went to see a gathering of old car and I must say that my favorite is the Mustang.

And you?

20230723_132611.jpg

20230723_133254.jpg

20230723_133404.jpg

20230723_132429.jpg

And when I walked by the food stall my father's music started playing as if he was saying hello to me he did loved old cars.

20230723_133051.jpg

Car gatherings are a great way to spend a sunny Sunday.

Good thread, Dalia!
Yes, it's every year here in France the Old Car Gathering and I'm sure in your country it's the same ?and I prefer the Old American cars and the Harley Davidson is superb too. But Sunday is also a BBQ and relax in the summer :)

20230623_114603.jpg

Yeah, it's the same here. I like the old cars better, too. And I like the oldies music they play.

Here's some pictures I took a few years ago on a Saturday IHOP meetup...

Last edited:
Interesting psychological point (I think). The "old" cars that turn people on, so to speak, are often not very good cars - the Mustang being a case in point.

The Mustang was nothing more than a re-styled Ford Falcon. The sheetmetal was just a few levels above aluminum foil, and the reason why you don't see them in northern states is because they were rust buckets. Structurally, they were like flexi-fliers, particularly the convertibles. Most of the ones that survive have to be structurally reinforced because over time the drivetrain becomes mis-aligned.

The best example of the phenomenon, of course, is the VW bug, an ugly death trap and another rust bucket. Standard maintenance included rebuilding the engine every 40-50 thousand miles.

But people continue to love them, eh?

Interesting psychological point (I think). The "old" cars that turn people on, so to speak, are often not very good cars - the Mustang being a case in point.

The Mustang was nothing more than a re-styled Ford Falcon. The sheetmetal was just a few levels above aluminum foil, and the reason why you don't see them in northern states is because they were rust buckets. Structurally, they were like flexi-fliers, particularly the convertibles. Most of the ones that survive have to be structurally reinforced because over time the drivetrain becomes mis-aligned.

The best example of the phenomenon, of course, is the VW bug, an ugly death trap and another rust bucket. Standard maintenance included rebuilding the engine every 40-50 thousand miles.

But people continue to love them, eh?

My dad had a 1954 Falcon. I thnik it was a 1954 anyway. It was red. He wrapped it around that crazy S turn at Backbone Rock and it pretty much wrinked up like a sardine can.

Probably. For me, it's just the nostalgia of a better, more normal time.

Saturday night classic cars cruise night is always fun and still popular, too.

This was my first car, a 1969 Falcon.

It was a hand-me-down from my parents, well past its prime when they gave it to me in 1988.

It broke down often, but I got very good at figuring out what was wrong with it, most times, and fixing it so that it could get me where I needed to go. No better way for a young man to learn how cars work, how they break, and how to make them work again.

Alas, this picture was taken just before we hauled it to the junkyard. It broke, and after a few months of trying, I was unable to fix it.

You wouldn't cry that much over me!, my wife said. I guess there are some things that women just don't get.

Falcon_Bokeh-gigapixel-standard-scale-6_00x_3840x2382.jpg

That's quite an interesting trick, since the first model year for the Falcon was 1960.

Really. Hm. Well like I said, I wasn't sure. I was only like six years old when it happened.

I know it was a Falcon, though.

Maybe he had something else that was a 1954, because I remember him talking about his '54. He probably wrecked both of em, he was always drinking home brew. lol.

Really. Hm. Well like I said, I wasnlt [sic] sure. I was only like six years old when it happened.
I know it was a Falcon, though.

By coincidence, I was six when my parents bought the Falcon that they eventually handed down to me.

In 1988, shopping for its successor, they ended up buying a Tempo from the same dealership that had sold them the Falcon in early 1969. The same salesman who sold them the Falcon still worked there (now a manager) and remembered them, and the six-year-old kid they had in tow, now a young man, now very excited because he was soon going to have his very first car.

Last edited:
By coincidence, I was six when my parents bought the Falcon that they eventually handed down to me.

In 1988, shopping for its successor, they ended up buying a Tempo from the same dealership that had sold them the Falcon in early 1969. The same salesman who sold them the falcon still worked there (now a manager) and remembered them, and the six-year-old kid they had in tow, now a young man, now very excited because he was soon going to have his very first car.

I like to think it's still that way in some scattered, more rural pockets of the country. Probably is.

This was my first car, a 1969 Falcon.

It was a hand-me-down from my parents, well past its prime when they gave it to me in 1988.

It broke down often, but I got very good at figuring out what was wrong with it, most times, and fixing it so that it could get me where I needed to go. No better way for a young man to learn how cars work, how they break, and how to make them work again.

Alas, this picture was taken just before we hauled it to the junkyard. It broke, and after a few months of trying, I was unable to fix it.

You wouldn't cry that much over me!, my wife said. I guess there are some things that women just don't get.

View attachment 807343
LOL....Was the ass-end on that thing a afterthought or not? :laughing0301:

I had a '68 Impala wagon.....You could put a 17' Grumman canoe on top if it and it would not go past the hood.

sc0511-113648_1@2x.jpg

Forum List

Back