The Official 2014 Winter Olympics Thread

The US is doing piss poor this year. obama wanted to have some kind of gay Jesse Owens moment. Instead we get creamed.

He sends Janette Nepolitono to lead the United States delegation, she and her butch haircut. I think it was an intended snub to Putin.

NBC's coverage is piss-poor.

I always become engrossed in the Olympics every time it's comes around. I usually suffer from post-Olympic withdrawal after it's over, but all of the negativity surrounding these games has bothered me. It even seems like NBC has a slightly negative attitude about covering it because of the gay angle. ESPN almost refuses to cover it at all. They're talking about gay athletes and basketball.

Sports is supposed to be an escape from the world of politics. Now they are inter-meshed.

Last edited:
U.S. never does good in winter Olympics. They should call it the Nordic Olympics.

Sports is supposed to be an escape from the world of politics. Now they are inter-meshed.

Agreed. I would like to see the governments taken out of it. That won't happen though. The more dignified govts won't politicize the Olympics though. We, however, do not have a dignified govt.

Agreed. I would like to see the governments taken out of it. That won't happen though. The more dignified govts won't politicize the Olympics though. We, however, do not have a dignified govt.

I haven't seen any mention of government in the coverage. The announcers are pretty much rooting for whoever's best with a slight bias to the U.S. When the Russians won pairs figure skating they were thrilled! And frankly so was I. The guy lived homeless under the skating rink for 3 years as a teenager for Christ's sake!

The Russian and French judges still give out the lowest marks.

I haven't seen any mention of government in the coverage. The announcers are pretty much rooting for whoever's best with a slight bias to the U.S. When the Russians won pairs figure skating they were thrilled! And frankly so was I. The guy lived homeless under the skating rink for 3 years as a teenager for Christ's sake!

In Russia that's probably half the population.

The Russian and French judges still give out the lowest marks.

Too bad the Russian high expectations don't translate to the venue.

Drama, if not miracle, as U.S. Beats Russia: Hockey :thup:

And here is a .59 minute clip of the great T.J. Oshie with the press after the game:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/s...atedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

SOCHI, Russia — Hockey is a team game, and this one was so big that it pitted country against country. But by the end, it turned into a simple contest of one-on-one.

The United States and Russia were tied through regulation, tied through overtime, and still tied through three rounds of a shootout.

Like his counterpart on the Russian side, the United States coach, Dan Bylsma, had to decide which player to appoint to shoot the fourth attempt. He chose T. J. Oshie. And when that did not end the game, Bylsma was given a chance to choose again, and again, and again, and again.

He picked Oshie, Oshie, Oshie and Oshie — allowed by the rules of the Olympics, but not in the N.H.L., where Bylsma coaches the Pittsburgh Penguins and his players play.

More coverage at link. :clap2:

Last edited:
Drama, if not miracle, as U.S. Beats Russia: Hockey :thup:

And here is a .59 minute clip of the great T.J. Oshie with the press after the game:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/s...atedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

SOCHI, Russia — Hockey is a team game, and this one was so big that it pitted country against country. But by the end, it turned into a simple contest of one-on-one.

The United States and Russia were tied through regulation, tied through overtime, and still tied through three rounds of a shootout.

Like his counterpart on the Russian side, the United States coach, Dan Bylsma, had to decide which player to appoint to shoot the fourth attempt. He chose T. J. Oshie. And when that did not end the game, Bylsma was given a chance to choose again, and again, and again, and again.

He picked Oshie, Oshie, Oshie and Oshie — allowed by the rules of the Olympics, but not in the N.H.L., where Bylsma coaches the Pittsburgh Penguins and his players play.

More coverage at link. :clap2:

The US and Canada imho.

Canada really could use the win.

:razz:

I don't think that guy that won the gold in ice skating should have won. He fell. Two times. Or was it three times?

Apparently, ESPN's idea of Olympic coverage is the very occasional video of Jeremy Schaap talking about Olympics while they show unfocused pictures.

Aye. Vic Wild won the gold in downhill parallel giant slalom in snowboarding. He's an American born Russian who was only competing for Russia and not America because allegedly the USA would not sponsor him.

Women's Hockey: US were up 2-0 going into the final period of their Gold Medal game vs. Canada. Later, they were up 2-1 and they hit the post on an empty netter. Canada would score in the final minute and then win in OT. WOW!

| NBC Olympics

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDAiCOXl8E]Reaction to Canada vs USA Women's Hockey Gold Medal goal Sochi 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Ha Ha. Ashley Wagner stole the U.S. figure skating spot, when she fell two times in the qualifying for the Olympics. She took the spot from another U.S. skater that came in third. Ashley came in fourth. And now she is complaining that the Russian that got the gold fell twice, and she was cheated. What a whining bitch. What goes around comes around.

Forum List

Back