The Neanderthal in some of us

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Very interesting.

Neanderthal DNA lives on ... in some of us - Cosmic Log - msnbc.com

The first rough draft of the Neanderthals' genome suggests that they interbred with our own species - but only enough to leave a tiny mark on the genetic code of humans from outside Africa.

"The Neanderthals are not totally extinct," said Svante Pääbo, a geneticist at Germany's Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. "In some of us they live on, a little bit."

Pääbo is the leader of an international team of researchers who worked for four years to extract the genetic code from half a gram of ground-up Neanderthal bone, taken from three separate specimens. The resulting draft sequence, which represents about 60 percent of the entire genome, is unveiled in this week's issue of the journal Science.

The question over whether ancient humans ever "did it" with Neanderthals now appears to be resolved
The "spoils of war" would've made the incidence of unwilling sexual contact inevitable, as well as keeping captured females as slaves would've insured some of those females bearing young of mixed "breed."

So there had to be some hybrid fertility and unusual further circumstances for those offspring to find suitable mates with which to breed.

More from the link: but the draft genome raises more questions that are just as deep.*For example, what traits did humans develop that gave them an evolutionary edge over Neanderthals? The researchers found some intriguing clues:

Five genes stood out as different in Neanderthals and modern humans. One of them has to do with how sperm cells whip their tails around.*Another relates to wound-healing. Yet another*builds a protein for the skin, sweat glands and hair roots.*"It's tantalizing to think that*the skin changed, but the biological implication of that is not at all clear yet,"*Pääbo said.

Several genes showed evidence of positive selection in humans as opposed to Neanderthals - including genes linked to schizophrenia, autism and Down syndrome. "This suggests that some of the genes that were positively selected may have had to do with cognitive development. ... It doesn't suggest that Neanderthals had no autism, or that they were more similar to people with autism," Pääbo said.

The researchers also focused on a gene that was linked to development of the frontal part of the skull, the shoulder bone and ribcage. Those are anatomical features where Neanderthals and humans differ, so the researchers said it was a "reasonable hypothesis" that that particular gene, RUNX2, "was of importance in the origin of modern humans."
Researchers*are continuing to analyze the*Neanderthal genetic data, and they expect*to get a*clearer picture of the species distinctions as time goes on.

Very interesting.

The first rough draft of the Neanderthals' genome suggests that they interbred with our own species - but only enough to leave a tiny mark on the genetic code of humans from outside Africa.

"The Neanderthals are not totally extinct," said Svante Pääbo, a geneticist at Germany's Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. "In some of us they live on, a little bit."

Pääbo is the leader of an international team of researchers who worked for four years to extract the genetic code from half a gram of ground-up Neanderthal bone, taken from three separate specimens. The resulting draft sequence, which represents about 60 percent of the entire genome, is unveiled in this week's issue of the journal Science.

Neanderthal and Cro Magnum: Africans have no mix from both. Europeans and Asians (all?) have a mix of genetic material from both.

yet I hear the African's dna is closer to Neanderthal than others are.

anyone drawing conclusions from what is known so far, about differences between humans living on different continents ages ago, is a fool.

I always believed the two had to mix at some point---because of animal instinct.

this is as interesting, or maybe more interesting, than any discoveries in space.

Very interesting.

LOL

I have long maintained that neanderthals were not completely extinct...

most of them are in the tea party

Be careful.

Even though the right may post stuff like, "Leftists Like Sex Offenders", it's OK. Because the left can take it. People on the right are very sensitive.

Be careful.

Even though the right may post stuff like, "Leftists Like Sex Offenders", it's OK. Because the left can take it. People on the right are very sensitive.
Stimulating and interesting topic; why don't you people with all the self styled intelligence comment on it in an intelligent and mature way?
Just wonderin...

that explains the existence of conservatives...

:tomato:

Funny, I was just thinking that it explained the knuckle dragging mouth breathers on the Left.

Very interesting.

Neanderthal and Cro Magnum: Africans have no mix from both. Europeans and Asians (all?) have a mix of genetic material from both.

anyone drawing conclusions from what is known so far, about differences between humans living on different continents ages ago, is a fool.

I always believed the two had to mix at some point---because of animal instinct.

this is as interesting, or maybe more interesting, than any discoveries in space.

It appears that the "mixing" between the two species took place sometime after we both left Africa. It's really very odd, that two different species, not even as close as sub-species, could breed and produce offspring that would be fertile so that they would breed again enabling their genes to be transmitted to the gene pool of Homo Sapiens. Lacking that secondary sexual contact, no individual birth could add to the genetic material.

The instinct that would cause such sexual contact, it seems to me, would have to take place in a scenario like I mentioned back in post #3, in a "spoils of war" and a taking of slaves type scenario; remember that rape is an act of violence and power, not just a sexual dalliance.

Last edited:
I recall a French teacher when I was in school mentioning a theory that the Basque people were descended from Neanderthals.

Or very bigoted against the Basques.

Be careful.

Stimulating and interesting topic; why don't you people with all the self styled intelligence comment on it in an intelligent and mature way?
Just wonderin...

Normally, when you have a "stimulating and interesting" discussion, it's because you bring alternate view points. So far, this is a just a list of facts.

Geneticists mapped 60% of Neanderthal DNA. Some of that DNA shows up in Europeans. About the only "alternate viewpoint" is "I don't believe it".

We have heard that argument in the past with "evolution". Only, with evolution, there is much more evidence. Not just genetics, but also "fossils" whose age is also supported by geology and chemistry.

And with evolution, there is zero "stimulating and interesting" discussion. One side is supported by millions of pages of research and the other side is simply "Gawd did it".

So, what people are doing is merely expressing "humor".

Be careful.

Just wonderin...

Normally, when you have a "stimulating and interesting" discussion, it's because you bring alternate view points. So far, this is a just a list of facts.

Geneticists mapped 60% of Neanderthal DNA. Some of that DNA shows up in Europeans. About the only "alternate viewpoint" is "I don't believe it".

We have heard that argument in the past with "evolution". Only, with evolution, there is much more evidence. Not just genetics, but also "fossils" whose age is also supported by geology and chemistry.

And with evolution, there is zero "stimulating and interesting" discussion. One side is supported by millions of pages of research and the other side is simply "Gawd did it".

And I thought it was worthy of intellectual discussion based on relevant information and curiosity; but now I know better.
Oh well let me try again:

These scientists have done a lot of exacting science, it appears, but somehow I still think It's possible that they mis-interpreted the genetic evidence.
If it happened once, and I don't mean "having sex," but the birth of a hybrid that produced any offspring that was also fertile, what accounts for that anomalie?

Do we have any instance of that happening in science, let alone naturally occuring in nature?

BTW RDean, you seem a little narrowly focused; to you it's always about Gawd or evolution; I'm certainly not engaging the subject in that narow focus, in case you hadn't noticed.

Last edited:
Just wonderin...

And I thought it was worthy of intellectual discussion based on relevant information and curiosity; but now I know better.
Oh well let me try again:

These scientists have done a lot of exacting science, it appears, but somehow I still think It's possible that they mis-interpreted the genetic evidence. If it happened once, and I don't mean "having sex," but the birth of a hybrid that produced any offspring that was also fertile, what accounts for that anomalie?

Do we have any instance of that happening in science, let alone naturally occuring in nature?

BTW RDean, you seem a little narrowly focused; to you it's always about Gawd or evolution; I'm certainly not engaging the subject in that narow focus, in case you hadn't noticed.

You mean like "donkeys and horses" or "lion and tigers"?

"but somehow I still think It's possible that they mis-interpreted the genetic evidence"

You make my point. Rather than saying, "But this evidence says so and so and I believe they are wrong because.....", you are saying, "I don't want to believe what they say, so without any evidence, I say they are wrong, or they could be wrong, which adds enough doubt, it proves they are wrong". While my position, with no evidence whatsoever, could be right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting.

It appears that the "mixing" between the two species took place sometime after we both left Africa. It's really very odd, that two different species, not even as close as sub-species, could breed and produce offspring that would be fertile so that they would breed again enabling their genes to be transmitted to the gene pool of Homo Sapiens. Lacking that secondary sexual contact, no individual birth could add to the genetic material.

The instinct that would cause such sexual contact, it seems to me, would have to take place in a scenario like I mentioned back in post #3, in a "spoils of war" and a taking of slaves type scenario; remember that rape is an act of violence and power, not just a sexual dalliance.

there was some mention on the radio by a Harvard University expert (is there any other kind? lol) in this field, that there is some evidence that Africans are closer to the Neanderthal in some ways...or that is what i think he said. It was along those lines.

It will be interesting to see how some of this pans out after the silly headlines and breaking news stories disappear and we get more informed analysis of what the experts are saying the data represents.

BTW RDean, you seem a little narrowly focused; to you it's always about Gawd or evolution...
...or bashing everyone and anyone who isn't an atheist and/or communist.

It's not like every branch of Christianity (and most of the world's religions) doesn't do that just by insisting everyone is wrong and that only they know the only true God..or way to god...or...:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back