The National Hoax: How Did Queensland Ever Fall For Australia Day?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
We’ll never have unity around January 26, argues Jeff McMullen. So it’s time to start talking about a new national day.

There is something absurd about celebrating Australia Day on January 26th. It’s even crazier in this important year when there is intense national debate about Treaties, Sovereignty and how Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people want to be recognised.

We pretend as a nation to care what our First People say and want, but since 1938 when Pearl Gibbs, Jack Patton, William Cooper and Bill Ferguson led the first Day of Mourning by Aboriginal people, it has been perfectly clear that most cannot and will not joyfully celebrate a day of dispossession.

The whole thing is a tragic hoax that began when Sydney wanted to assert its superiority over the rest of the country by commemorating the day the English fleet sailed through the Heads. I am surprised Queenslanders fell for it.

Most of the country showed common sense for years by ignoring January 26th and it was not until 1994 that the whole country joined in this phony national holiday.

To choreograph a shallow display of unity and nationalism, somehow expecting the First People of this land to ignore the history and the enormous injustice, shows we have not yet matured. We need to set a lot of things right and be serious about unity.

Most of the First Peoples have long said that they want something better, a recognition of the land and its people, a history that is at least 2,000 generations old, not the few hundred years since the English Fleet.
The National Hoax: How Did Queensland Ever Fall For Australia Day? - New Matilda

The author said a republic is coming sooner than people think.

lol. A very divisive man. I don't personally celebrate Australia day because people get silly on that day, but there will always be a national day so it may as well stay put.

That guy needs to lighten up, have a beer and a steak pie.

I don't personally celebrate Australia day because people get silly on that day, but there will always be a national day so it may as well stay put.
Seemingly contradictory. If you don't celebrate it why would you object to it being moved?

I don't personally celebrate Australia day because people get silly on that day, but there will always be a national day so it may as well stay put.
Seemingly contradictory. If you don't celebrate it why would you object to it being moved?
They are just trying to create more communities. I hate community and prefer nation because I don't want to be WITH any group of people, except my own family and friends that I choose from whatever background or lifestyles they may be. The fool in the article seems to want to make it on a different day in each state. The idiot can't even decide if it's going to be on the European settlement dates or the date that the first person crossed the land bridge from Asia.

He's a subversive.

I want manners, not political correctness.

Australians, not communities

Policing, not community policing

I want consistency(for Australia day) not because I celebrate Invasion day but because I'm sick of shit.

The fool in the article seems to want to make it on a different day in each state.
Not the way I read it. In fact, bullshit.
The idiot can't even decide if it's going to be on the European settlement dates or the date that the first person crossed the land bridge from Asia.
Again, bullshit, he suggested the last day of the year.

Apart from that, if you think Australia/any country isn't made up of communities I can see where your contradictions originate.

The fool in the article seems to want to make it on a different day in each state.
Not the way I read it. In fact, bullshit.
The idiot can't even decide if it's going to be on the European settlement dates or the date that the first person crossed the land bridge from Asia.
Again, bullshit, he suggested the last day of the year.

Apart from that, if you think Australia/any country isn't made up of communities I can see where your contradictions originate.
I'm not saying that the communities will cease to exist. I'm saying we should build our system down from a nation rather than up from communities. Justice for all, instead of lubrication for communities.

Australia became an independent nation on 1 January 1901, when the British Parliament passed legislation allowing the six Australian colonies to govern in their own right as part of the Commonwealth of Australia. January 1st is an Australian equivalent of July 4th and Australia Day is like celebrating the foundation of the Virginia colony in 1607 by John Smith, which the Americans would never do. Some argue that celebrating the foundation of the penal colony in New South Wales can be seen as lacking national significance and I always wondered if Aussies are aware of what they are celebrating in January. Probably Australia still does not have a clear national identity yet after one hundred years of self-government because it's not fully independent from Britain by becoming a republic based on the American model.

Last edited:
Probably Australia still does not have a clear national identity yet after one hundred years of self-government because it's not fully independent from Britain by becoming a republic based on the American model.
What do you mean by the American model? And why the American model in order to be fully independent? What's wrong with the French model, whatever is meant by that, in the matter of full independence?

Forum List

Back