The Myth of Bad Republican Candidates

If the contest were to lead ACORN, you'd be right.

For POTUS, each one of them is vastly more qualified than Obama.

In 2008, Obama had no qualifications, but was untested. Today, he has 4 years of abject failure under his belt.

None of the candidates has Executive Branch experience except for Huntsman and he worked for Obama

Romney and Huntsman were governors. Gingrich, Paul and Bachmann were just Congressmen

Not even close to being President of the United States

Romney was an executive. A Governor. Like Clinton and Reagan.

Obama is just a front-man for an organization. He doesn't even run things.

You have to really grasp at straws to get any positives out his leadership traits. Half the time he doesn't even know what's going on around him......and he doesn't care.

Face it. He sucks as a leader.

Yea...yea
We have seen this dance before

Governors make all the decisions, Presidents (at least Democratic ones) are just figureheads

Save it

Oh, please, guy.

This is the weakest feild of GOP Candidates I've seen in 32 years of being involved in politics.

Good to see a person telling the truth.

you mean..

"Good to see someone who agrees with me"

This is a matter of opinion...there is no "lie or truth" involved.

I meant, good to see someone saying something that might be against their beliefs, but they know it to be true. Are you thick, or obstinate?

The problem isn't so much "resumes". I will concede most of these guys have solid resumes, some of them better than Obama's when he got the job.

It's what else is there that's the problem.

Romney- Four years as governor and a solid business career- Fatal flaw- Bizarre religion, lack of human empathy, and a business career that involved putting thousands of working folks out of good jobs.

Gingrich- 20 years in Congress, 4 years as speaker. Fatal flaw- Hypocrisy on family values, goes off on weird tangents, ego larger than life.

Perry- 12 years as governor of a major state. Fatal flaw - Quite possibly retarded.

Huntsman- 4 years as governor of Utah. Fatal flaw- Too liberal, crazy religion, worked for Obama.

Paul- 30 years in Congress. Fatal flaw- Crazier than a shithouse rat.

Santorum- 12 years in the Senate, 4 in the house. Fatal flaw- trying to legislate your sex life.

If the GOP were smart, they'd try a do-over. Get someone credible up there, like Mitch Daniels.

But the path of least resistance is to let Romney run and lose, so that's what they'll do.

Obama- national debt increased $5,000,000,000+. Foreign policy, the world is more hostile towards Americans than any time in history (argueably). American economy, destroyed. Energy availibility, down. Energy prices, increasing and about to go higher because of the EPA. Taxpayers, humiliated and insulted. Inflation, running away. Food stamps, highest number of people on food stamps under his Presidency. Poor Americans, the highest amount of poor people since the war on poverty. His attorney general, selectively applies the law. The President, ignores his oath of office to protect the Constitution. Credibility, zero. Integrity, zero. Leadership ability, armchair quarterback. Number one strength (skill), lecturer (that can put people to sleep in under 5 minutes)

Yes, those are some tough choices????

In all honesty..

Do you consider this to be a strong field of Republicans? Can you remember a weaker Republican field?

Actually that is a loaded question. My first reacion would be to say 08'. However I'm certain that other years in our nation's history have been worse.

A better question would be could there be a worse Democrat field than last year.

The frontrunners were a drunk from Delaware, a former First Lady, and a junior senator with zero leadership experience.

The drunk was the best candidate btw, even though even his own party considers him an idiot. But he's their idiot.

2008 Republicans included McCain, Huckabee, Romney, Paul an Guiliani. Romney and Paul are leading the 2012 field and there are no other candidates as good as McCain, Huckabee or Rudy G

This field of Republicans lacks star power. Outside of Ron Paul, there is nobody who can generate enthusiasm and draw crowds

In 2008, Obama was a superstar. Probably the biggest personal attraction since JFK. Obama drew up to 75,000 people to hear him speak. there are no current Republicans near that. The only Republican who is close is Sarah Palin and she is unelectable

Hillary is another political superstar who ran in 2008. If Obama didn't smash McCain, Hillary would have.

How many people does Obama "draw" now? Have you seen pictures of his speaking engagements? The places are empty.

No.

Any field where a crank like Bachmann or Cain can be considered a real contender is a weak field.

Did we forget, a mere three months ago, Herman Cain, crazy person, was considered a "frontrunner"?

After looking at all the GOP hopefuls, and finding them wanting, the GOP is going to pick the guy it soundly rejected four years ago becuase the party elites insist on it. A guy who won't even carry his home state.

Now, I'll admit, I really do wish Perry hadn't turned out to be such a dud. But what did him in was his own weaknesses.

And Obama, the undocumented "citizen" that has caused deceit, destruction and deaths (military assisted) is better than which one of them?

WOW! I thought all the birthers had died of rabies or brain anurisms. The military assisted deaths (Ossama etc) are still playing well for Obama. That's pretty much all I hoped he would accomplish in that Clinton and Bush couldn't drop that sucker and most of his Al Queda elites in over 10 years. I didn't have high hopes for the economy like many crybabies on this MB. NOBODY was going to turn the economy around on a dime.

Way to address the subject matter, NOT!

Problem is media superstars don't always make great leaders, unless your leading a Rock & Roll band.

Obama has been a disaster, Hillary helped him because half of his administration is Clinton holdovers and she runs the State Department which has been a cluster-fuck.

Your problem is you put image over substance. Anyone who operates in the real world knows this leads to disappointment. Obama promised Hope & Change but instead he delivered division and conflict. He never accepts blame for anything. I figure the best thing he can do is move to Hawaii and turn the government over to someone else. Hopefully come next Jan he will.

This thread is about good candidates, not good leaders

You have to get elected first, and being a superstar helps. The GOP does not currently have any candidates who draw real enthusiasm out of the voters. Paul comes the closest

What made Obama a superstar?

His speahces (spechwriters)
His articulation? (Romeny is articulate)
His success as a senator? (he was simply a freshman in the group of 50)

You forgot: He was black, this could be, like, historical!

The problem isn't so much "resumes". I will concede most of these guys have solid resumes, some of them better than Obama's when he got the job.

Romney- Four years as governor and a solid business career- Fatal flaw- Bizarre religion, lack of human empathy, and a business career that involved putting thousands of working folks out of good jobs.

Gingrich- 20 years in Congress, 4 years as speaker. Fatal flaw- Hypocrisy on family values, goes off on weird tangents, ego larger than life.

Perry- 12 years as governor of a major state. Fatal flaw - Quite possibly retarded.

Huntsman- 4 years as governor of Utah. Fatal flaw- Too liberal, crazy religion, worked for Obama.

Santorum- 12 years in the Senate, 4 in the house. Fatal flaw- trying to legislate your sex life.

If the GOP were smart, they'd try a do-over. Get someone credible up there, like Mitch Daniels.

But the path of least resistance is to let Romney run and lose, so that's what they'll do.

Obama- national debt increased $5,000,000,000+. Foreign policy, the world is more hostile towards Americans than any time in history (argueably). American economy, destroyed. Energy availibility, down. Energy prices, increasing and about to go higher because of the EPA. Taxpayers, humiliated and insulted. Inflation, running away. Food stamps, highest number of people on food stamps under his Presidency. Poor Americans, the highest amount of poor people since the war on poverty. His attorney general, selectively applies the law. The President, ignores his oath of office to protect the Constitution. Credibility, zero. Integrity, zero. Leadership ability, armchair quarterback. Number one strength (skill), lecturer (that can put people to sleep in under 5 minutes)

the trillions added to the debt, yes.

the world is NOT more hostile towards america than under President Bush.....

The American economy was destroyed under the bush reign in 2008....

Energy availability is UP....way up under president Obama reign....just look at the numbers for the truth.

Energy prices are high, agree...however they STILL have NOT reached the high price of energy reached under the bush Administration reign.

high food stamp receivers is EXPECTED with the 2008 economy crash to nearly the level of the great depression....

Same with poor people....without the 2008 CRASH AND BURN BUST, the citizens would have not gotten poorer....

please show exactly what the president has done that breaks the constitution that has not been done by every single president....

You see, I agree that times are tough under Obama reign, but I do not live in a fairy tale land or glass bubble and KNOW where all of these woes came from....which is the 2008 bank crash and the housing boom bust, which ALL OCCURRED under the Bush reign....the woes from the 2008 CRASH/BUST just don't go away because we have a new man in the whitehouse, and for people to just expect them to disappear are kidding themselves imo.

No.

Any field where a crank like Bachmann or Cain can be considered a real contender is a weak field.

Did we forget, a mere three months ago, Herman Cain, crazy person, was considered a "frontrunner"?

After looking at all the GOP hopefuls, and finding them wanting, the GOP is going to pick the guy it soundly rejected four years ago becuase the party elites insist on it. A guy who won't even carry his home state.

Now, I'll admit, I really do wish Perry hadn't turned out to be such a dud. But what did him in was his own weaknesses.

And Obama, the undocumented "citizen" that has caused deceit, destruction and deaths (military assisted) is better than which one of them?

WOW! I thought all the birthers had died of rabies or brain anurisms. The military assisted deaths (Ossama etc) are still playing well for Obama. That's pretty much all I hoped he would accomplish in that Clinton and Bush couldn't drop that sucker and most of his Al Queda elites in over 10 years. I didn't have high hopes for the economy like many crybabies on this MB. NOBODY was going to turn the economy around on a dime.

It took the Democrats awhile to make it look like it was gonna collapse and now it's taking awhile to turn it around. Especially since the people that screwed it up are still running things. Except for a few that went back to being college professors. Unfortunately one of the professors Obama hired to screw things up is still the regulatory czar, so he's still doing damage.

I'm sure some will not argue that Washington Democrats have been using the media to change public perceptions, shape the political discourse, push the economy one direction or another by sowing seeds of fear and fostering a lack of confidence in it. Now they're trying to tell us that the economy is finally turning around but they don't tell us why. Everyone assumes Obama is the cause, but what did he do to turn it around? They can't tell you that.....mainly because Obama had nothing to do with it.....other than stop signing bills like Dodd - Frank and the Affordable Health Care Act.

Now he's sounding like a Republican, talking about trimming government and cutting taxes. It's all total horseshit. If he was gonna trim government he would have done that on day 1, not on day 1087.

Last edited:
Hah. Did I call that or what?
Yeah, she was a bozo the whole time. The media only reported it so everyone found out.
Attention: As governor she was constantly in the spotlight of the state media.

There's a difference between being competent at the State level, and competent on the national stage. Rick Perry is painfully learning that too.

I actually liked the choice of Palin initially. Her record in Alaska was pretty solid. Ditto Perry. The problem once they opened their mouth on national issues they were just clueless. I can respect a lot of things, but willfully ignorant isn't one of them.

In Perry's case it was a matter of not being polished enough.

Palin was plenty polished, and still has a huge following, but she got screwed by Katy Couric. Some of Palin's interviews were edited to make her appear clueless. I've read the transcripts from those interviews, and it's pretty obvious when you match them with the video CBS released of the interviews.

Course this type of dishonesty by the media doesn't bother Democrat voters because we all assume that anyone who believes in God has to be an idiot........but only if they're a Conservative. Democrats that believe in God know how to say it but not live it. Hypocrisy in a nut-shell, but that is acceptable to liberals.

Last edited:

Energy availability is UP....way up under president Obama reign....just look at the numbers for the truth.

Energy prices are high, agree...however they STILL have NOT reached the high price of energy reached under the bush Administration reign.

high food stamp receivers is EXPECTED with the 2008 economy crash to nearly the level of the great depression....

Same with poor people....without the 2008 CRASH AND BURN BUST, the citizens would have not gotten poorer....

please show exactly what the president has done that breaks the constitution that has not been done by every single president....

You see, I agree that times are tough under Obama reign, but I do not live in a fairy tale land or glass bubble and KNOW where all of these woes came from....which is the 2008 bank crash and the housing boom bust, which ALL OCCURRED under the Bush reign....the woes from the 2008 CRASH/BUST just don't go away because we have a new man in the whitehouse, and for people to just expect them to disappear are kidding themselves imo.

Can you go to Egypt? Can you travel easily to other ME countries? Americans are more at risk for traveling today than under Bush.

I get that you want to blame all this on "Bush", at what point is boy wonder supposed to actually perform? What has he done to make any of it "better"? His "stimulus plans" that were promised to fix the infrastructure and make shovel ready jobs went to shore up his voting union minions. The debt, seriously, you are just blowing that off when that money went to Obama's "corporate friends"? His record is poor, his character is sad. There just is not one logical reason to re-elect this man that seem bent on destroying the middle class.

Hah. Did I call that or what?
Yeah, she was a bozo the whole time. The media only reported it so everyone found out.
Attention: As governor she was constantly in the spotlight of the state media.

There's a difference between being competent at the State level, and competent on the national stage. Rick Perry is painfully learning that too.

I actually liked the choice of Palin initially. Her record in Alaska was pretty solid. Ditto Perry. The problem once they opened their mouth on national issues they were just clueless. I can respect a lot of things, but willfully ignorant isn't one of them.

Palin was plenty polished, and still has a huge following, but she got screwed by Katy Couric. Some of Palin's interviews were edited to make her appear clueless. I've read the transcripts from those interviews, and it's pretty obvious when you match them with the video CBS released of the interviews.

Course this type of dishonesty by the media doesn't bother Democrat voters because we all assume that anyone who believes in God has to be an idiot........but only if they're a Conservative. Democrats that believe in God know how to say it but not live it. Hypocrisy in a nut-shell, but that is acceptable to liberals.

Perrys problem was not just that he was stupid, but that he was stupid and lazy. He thought he could just show up at the debates and flash his country boy charm and everyone would eat it up. He quickly faltered
Even though Bachmann may not have been a rocket scientist, she worked hard and came to each debate prepared.

But of course Perry gets to blame the media for his own failures......just like a good republican

Perrys problem was not just that he was stupid, but that he was stupid and lazy. He thought he could just show up at the debates and flash his country boy charm and everyone would eat it up. He quickly faltered
Even though Bachmann may not have been a rocket scientist, she worked hard and came to each debate prepared.

But of course Perry gets to blame the media for his own failures......just like a good republican

I don't think Perry ever blamed anyone but himself.

He could have been poorly prepared by his handlers. He may have been overconfident. His last few debates have been pretty decent, but it's way too late now. He had his chance and blew it. Maybe if he wants to try again he can do a bit more prep work and not have the same thing happen. However, I think once Romney gets in and shows what he can do Perry won't have a chance.

If you look at Romney and Obama you'll discover that it's a battle between an accomplished workaholic and a smooth bullshit artist. Obama has never worked hard while he's getting paid, never. It takes work to make it through college, much less Harvard, but I don't see anything to prove to me that Obama has the energy level to handle the challenges that he faces. He has to take constant breaks to keep from pulling his hair out. He simply delegates his responsibilities to his underlings and when they fuck up he never accepts responsibility.

I don't see this in Romney. Romney is a good man. He gave up two years of his life to help people on a mission. Not every Mormon volunteers for a mission. Time after time the man has shown to be compassionate. They'll tear him down for changing his stance on issues and for being a successful capitalist.

I think Obama is the anti-capitalist. His entire campaign is geared toward bringing down the engine that runs our economy. If he wins the United States will drop down several notches in the world. Europe will make jokes about how the once powerful America was brought down by their own President. Then the reality that America won't be there to prop them up anymore will hit them squarely in the face.

Last edited:
Actually that is a loaded question. My first reacion would be to say 08'. However I'm certain that other years in our nation's history have been worse.

A better question would be could there be a worse Democrat field than last year.

The frontrunners were a drunk from Delaware, a former First Lady, and a junior senator with zero leadership experience.

The drunk was the best candidate btw, even though even his own party considers him an idiot. But he's their idiot.

2008 Republicans included McCain, Huckabee, Romney, Paul an Guiliani. Romney and Paul are leading the 2012 field and there are no other candidates as good as McCain, Huckabee or Rudy G

This field of Republicans lacks star power. Outside of Ron Paul, there is nobody who can generate enthusiasm and draw crowds

In 2008, Obama was a superstar. Probably the biggest personal attraction since JFK. Obama drew up to 75,000 people to hear him speak. there are no current Republicans near that. The only Republican who is close is Sarah Palin and she is unelectable

Hillary is another political superstar who ran in 2008. If Obama didn't smash McCain, Hillary would have.

How many people does Obama "draw" now? Have you seen pictures of his speaking engagements? The places are empty.

Which speaking engagements was this??? I'd love to know.

This thread is about good candidates, not good leaders

You have to get elected first, and being a superstar helps. The GOP does not currently have any candidates who draw real enthusiasm out of the voters. Paul comes the closest

What made Obama a superstar?

His speahces (spechwriters)
His articulation? (Romeny is articulate)
His success as a senator? (he was simply a freshman in the group of 50)

You forgot: He was black, this could be, like, historical!

Ah, the Race Card Card....haven't seen it for a few weeks.

Some of the damage happened with a Democrat Congress. So Bush doesn't get all of the blame.

Obama had a Democrat Congress so he gets the blame for whatever he spent.

The price of gas when Obama took over was around 2 dollars a gallon. In some places gas is close to 3.65 a gallon. Obama isn't doing anything to improve this.

Nearly doubling the price of gas is nothing to crow about. As a matter of fact he and his Energy Sec wanted it to go higher saying it should be 10 as it is in Europe.

Last edited:

I wanted to respond to something you said earlier....

You said the public is smarter than the GOP thinks they are and that the public does not get swayed by the media....or something like that..

Hear me out on this...dont get caught up in the fact that I chose Palin as an example. Put in her place any governor of any state....but it was Palin that this happened to...

She entered the media "vetting" process as a highly regarded governor of her state. She had a grass roots personae, a very high approval rating, many successes for her state and its population...some failuers (Bridge to nowhere)...but overall, her constituants saw her as an outstanding choice....I believe north of 80% at its peak.

Then the media hit...and anyone who says the media was NOT looking for dirt is disingenuous.....and that is expected....as they did with Obama...and McCain...

But...

All of a sudden, it was all about the Palin dirt...the bridge...her educational background, her daughter's preganancy...

Sure, they would mention her tax rebate to the people....but explain it as "going to bed with big oil"

Sure, you heard about her high approval rating....but only when the media would say "her high approval rating as governor has been dropping steadily"

And that is the point...

A woman with a very high approval rating saw her numbers drop as the media vetted her negatively...the people were quite happy with her......until the media started to tell them they shouldnt be.

Sure...you can say "well, the media made them realize what a bozo she was, so the media did the right thing"

Well, if she was doing nothing illegal...and she was not compromising the constitution of the state....and the people were happy with the lifestyle she is overseeing......why would the people care?

But they did anyway...becuase the media told them they should.

Palin came out of nowhere and gave a scripted speech that was chock full of one-liners. That was the peak of her popularity. After that, whenever she spoke unscripted she betrayed how stupid she is.

Forum List

Back