Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
gop-debate.jpg

January 11, 2012
The Myth of Bad Republican Candidates
By Selwyn Duke

Repeat a big Democrat talking point often enough, and it becomes the truth. There is a certain liberal narrative that has recently filtered down to many independents and even some conservatives: the idea that the current crop of Republican candidates is weak, wanting, and worrisome. The lament is, "Hell's bells, the guy in the White House is out of his depth, but what alternatives does the GOP offer?" The idea, I suppose, is that we might as well just re-elect Barack Obama. At least he has four years of golfing, government-growing, and greenback-gobbling experience.

This characterization of the Republican field much reminds me of the gratuitous criticism of the U.S. by the hate-America-first crowd. Okay, you say America is a bad country. Compared to what? Some imaginary Utopia that will never exist? Because in the real world, the U.S. has been besting her competition for a long time.

Many repeat the statist talking point about the GOP contenders' alleged ineptitude simply because of media spin and the branding iron of repetition. Yet others do, in fact, have unrealistic expectations. They have in mind an ideal, a utopia of a politician -- a person who agrees with them on every major issue, possesses eloquence and decent looks, and has never strayed from ideological purity. And when this imaginary figure doesn't appear, they ask, "Is this the best our political class has to offer?!"

Yet to what are we comparing these candidates? And are we being mindful of Bismarck's sage observation that "[p]olitics is the art of the possible"? For even insofar as a true traditionalist's ideal candidate does exist -- and this is important to understand -- he could not win election given the current state of our culture.

Link

Read more:
Articles: The Myth of Bad Republican Candidates

Gee. Too bad they didn't do this when Barry was running.

Talk about bad candidates for POTUS.

I've said this before.

If the name Cass Sunstein sounds familiar you would not be surprised to that he is a member of the Obama Administration.

An availability cascade is a self-reinforcing cycle that explains the development of certain kinds of collective beliefs. A novel idea or insight, usually one that seems to explain a complex process in a simple or straightforward manner, gains rapid currency in the popular discourse by its very simplicity and by its apparent insightfulness. Its rising popularity triggers a chain reaction within the social network: individuals adopt the new insight because other people within the network have adopted it, and on its face it seems plausible. The reason for this increased use and popularity of the new idea involves both the availability of the previously obscure term or idea, and the need of individuals using the term or idea to appear to be current with the stated beliefs and ideas of others, regardless of whether they in fact fully believe in the idea that they are expressing. Their need for social acceptance, and the apparent sophistication of the new insight, overwhelm their critical thinking.

The idea of the availability cascade was first developed by Timur Kuran and Cass Sunstein, building upon the concept of information cascades and on the availability bias as identified by Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky.
Availability cascade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

220px-Sunstein.jpg

Cass R. Sunstein (born September 21, 1954) is an American legal scholar, particularly in the fields of constitutional law, administrative law, environmental law, and law and behavioral economics, who currently is the Administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs in the Obama administration. For 27 years, Sunstein taught at the University of Chicago Law School,[1] where he continues to teach as the Harry Kalven Visiting Professor. Sunstein is currently Professor of Law at Harvard Law School, where he is on leave while working in the Obama administration.

Cass Sunstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is how Democrats pulled the wool over our eyes with respect to Global Warming, TARP, the Stimulus Bill, Health Care Reform, etc,.

It may have had something to do with the housing crash and the banking crisis.

If you want one crisis after another just give Obama 4 more years. It's a given.

Oh, please, guy.

This is the weakest feild of GOP Candidates I've seen in 32 years of being involved in politics.

Really? You'd prefer an old actor who was governor and a washed up MI congressman?
No, the article was spot on. The truth is we have a pretty accomplished slate of candidates. You'd never know it because the press constantly belittles them and their achievments. But they are all very bright people with tremendous records.

I've said this before.

If the name Cass Sunstein sounds familiar you would not be surprised to that he is a member of the Obama Administration.

An availability cascade is a self-reinforcing cycle that explains the development of certain kinds of collective beliefs. A novel idea or insight, usually one that seems to explain a complex process in a simple or straightforward manner, gains rapid currency in the popular discourse by its very simplicity and by its apparent insightfulness. Its rising popularity triggers a chain reaction within the social network: individuals adopt the new insight because other people within the network have adopted it, and on its face it seems plausible. The reason for this increased use and popularity of the new idea involves both the availability of the previously obscure term or idea, and the need of individuals using the term or idea to appear to be current with the stated beliefs and ideas of others, regardless of whether they in fact fully believe in the idea that they are expressing. Their need for social acceptance, and the apparent sophistication of the new insight, overwhelm their critical thinking.

The idea of the availability cascade was first developed by Timur Kuran and Cass Sunstein, building upon the concept of information cascades and on the availability bias as identified by Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky.
Availability cascade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

220px-Sunstein.jpg

Cass R. Sunstein (born September 21, 1954) is an American legal scholar, particularly in the fields of constitutional law, administrative law, environmental law, and law and behavioral economics, who currently is the Administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs in the Obama administration. For 27 years, Sunstein taught at the University of Chicago Law School,[1] where he continues to teach as the Harry Kalven Visiting Professor. Sunstein is currently Professor of Law at Harvard Law School, where he is on leave while working in the Obama administration.

Cass Sunstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is how Democrats pulled the wool over our eyes with respect to Global Warming, TARP, the Stimulus Bill, Health Care Reform, etc,.

It may have had something to do with the housing crash and the banking crisis.

If you want one crisis after another just give Obama 4 more years. It's a given.

This would actually explain pretty well Ron Paul's surge, which was a mystery to me. But the truth is that on internet circles etc the lie is repeated that Paul is somehow different from everyone else, that he will accomplish great things, despite a 30 year record of running his mouth and not much more.

Oh, please, guy.

This is the weakest feild of GOP Candidates I've seen in 32 years of being involved in politics.

I guess you fell for it then.

No.

Any field where a crank like Bachmann or Cain can be considered a real contender is a weak field.

Did we forget, a mere three months ago, Herman Cain, crazy person, was considered a "frontrunner"?

After looking at all the GOP hopefuls, and finding them wanting, the GOP is going to pick the guy it soundly rejected four years ago becuase the party elites insist on it. A guy who won't even carry his home state.

Now, I'll admit, I really do wish Perry hadn't turned out to be such a dud. But what did him in was his own weaknesses.

Claiming that this is not a weak field is either an exercise in abject denial or intellectual dishonesty. Maybe both.

OK, who would you prefer to see.
(this ought to be good).

Doesn't matter to me, as I have no dog in this hunt. Because of my strong disagreements with both "major" parties, I'm stuck voting alternate party.

The one Republican I was interested in was Daniels. If you're honest, you'd admit you'd love to see him in there, along with Jeb, Christy and Ryan. If you're honest. Or you can just pretend you're happy with this group. Your call.

Claiming that this is not a weak field is either an exercise in abject denial or intellectual dishonesty. Maybe both.

(this ought to be good).

Mike Huckabee would have been strong. (Except that those four dead cops did him in.)

Jeb Bush would be great if his name wasn't Bush. Maybe in 2016.

Thune would be a good candidate.

I think there are two problems here. First, 2006 and 2008 cleared the GOP Bench.

Second- Bush's refusal to groom a successor left the GOP rudderless.

I think the larger problems the GOP has is that it needs to connect with non-whites better. (McCain won the White Vote, but minorities put Obama over the top.) and that it doesn't connect well with working folks who aren't making a killing off of Wall Street.

Romney doesn't help either of these problems. And he belongs to a crazy religion, to boot.

Oh, please, guy.

No.

Any field where a crank like Bachmann or Cain can be considered a real contender is a weak field.

Did we forget, a mere three months ago, Herman Cain, crazy person, was considered a "frontrunner"?

After looking at all the GOP hopefuls, and finding them wanting, the GOP is going to pick the guy it soundly rejected four years ago becuase the party elites insist on it. A guy who won't even carry his home state.

Now, I'll admit, I really do wish Perry hadn't turned out to be such a dud. But what did him in was his own weaknesses.

Neither Cain nor Bachmann is running. That's what primaries are all about, winnowing and testing.
Remember Gary Hart and Monkey Business? Yeah, that was some quality choice right there.

Neither Cain nor Bachmann is running. That's what primaries are all about, winnowing and testing.
Remember Gary Hart and Monkey Business? Yeah, that was some quality choice right there.

NO, what primaries about on the GOP side is affirming the picks of the establishment.

WHich is why the GOP has lost four of the last five popular votes for President.

Soon to be five out of six.

(this ought to be good).

Mike Huckabee would have been strong. (Except that those four dead cops did him in.)

I think there are two problems here. First, 2006 and 2008 cleared the GOP Bench.

I think the larger problems the GOP has is that it needs to connect with non-whites better. (McCain won the White Vote, but minorities put Obama over the top.) and that it doesn't connect well with working folks who aren't making a killing off of Wall Street.

Romney doesn't help either of these problems. And he belongs to a crazy religion, to boot.

Huckabee is basically Santorum, but not as bright.
Bush--well, that was a loser.
Thune no one has heard of. He is the TPaw of candidates.
Bush was poison when he left office. Anyone associated with him was doomed.
I agree the GOP has particularly a Hispanic problem. Bush won both times in part because he speaks Spanish and could connect with voters. The anti-immigrant crap turned many of them off.

Romney probably realizes he;s got these demographic issues and if he is the candidate will probably pick a minority, like a Hispanic, as his VP. The blacks are going to vote for Obama no matter what.

(this ought to be good).

Huckabee is basically Santorum, but not as bright.
Bush--well, that was a loser.
Thune no one has heard of. He is the TPaw of candidates.
Bush was poison when he left office. Anyone associated with him was doomed.
I agree the GOP has particularly a Hispanic problem. Bush won both times in part because he speaks Spanish and could connect with voters. The anti-immigrant crap turned many of them off.

Romney probably realizes he;s got these demographic issues and if he is the candidate will probably pick a minority, like a Hispanic, as his VP. The blacks are going to vote for Obama no matter what.

I can't see any self respecting Hispanic politician getting on a ticket with Romney. Not after the way he demagouged the immigration issue to take out Perry.

These days anyone can be torched.

Reveal something in their past that is a surprise and the candidate doesn't walk on water anymore.

I read "Killing Lincoln" and using that information alone I could make a convincing case that our 16th President was disorganized and ran a White House that was in constant turmoil. People were often sleeping in the hallways waiting to petition the President. Members of his administration were constantly intoxicated. His VP was a prime example.

The way the press and the media holds sway over political discourse Obama got into the White House with no leadership experience and no record of accomplishment. His image of being a great speaker and a nice guy is enough to keep plenty of people supporting him, even though he's nothing but trouble in real life. This is why his records have been sealed under court order and his past practically erased. Yet any one of the GOP candidates could mop the floor with him if they would just compare resumes.

Last edited:
Oh, please, guy.

Really? You'd prefer an old actor who was governor and a washed up MI congressman?
No, the article was spot on. The truth is we have a pretty accomplished slate of candidates. You'd never know it because the press constantly belittles them and their achievments. But they are all very bright people with tremendous records.

Tremendous records?? :lmao:

Gingrich's record looks like today's democrat. The man presided over some of the largest expansion in the size of government, and has plenty of YES votes to go along with it.

Santorum's record should appeal to democrats too, he's voted to spend insane amounts of money, increase deficits, increase debt ceilings, grow government, etc.

We don't know about Romney because he has no record at a federal level, but his state record is pretty liberal. For crying out fucking loud, the guy has a state version of fucking OBAMACARE.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Have you actually looked at ANY of these guys? :lol:

Oh, please, guy.

I'm afraid you fell for it. The article blaming it on the Dems, that is. What of all the Reps saying the same thing? Wouldn't Christie and Bush, to name just two, have been much better?

Forum List

Back