The mystery of Jupiter's coloured bands is finally solved!

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
4EFCA4B200000578-6047363-image-a-5_1533908007318.jpg

Why is this important? Why should we care?

Why not? Advancing our knowledge is important to our future. Perhaps what is happening there could have some meaning for something similar here.

Several strong jet streams flow west to east in Jupiter's atmosphere, which are similar to Earth's jet streams.

However, unlike on Earth where the jet streams meander across the surface, Jupiter's jet streams are more even and straight.

There are also no continents and mountains below Jupiter's atmosphere to obstruct the path of the jet streams.

As a result, the jet streams on Jupiter are much simpler than those on Earth, causing less turbulence in the upper atmosphere.

Clouds of ammonia at Jupiter's outer atmosphere are carried along by these jet streams to form Jupiter's regimented coloured bands.

More w/video @ The mystery of Jupiter's coloured bands is finally solved! | Daily Mail Online

Why not? Advancing our knowledge is important to our future. Perhaps what is happening there could have some meaning for something similar here.

Several strong jet streams flow west to east in Jupiter's atmosphere, which are similar to Earth's jet streams.

However, unlike on Earth where the jet streams meander across the surface, Jupiter's jet streams are more even and straight.

There are also no continents and mountains below Jupiter's atmosphere to obstruct the path of the jet streams.

As a result, the jet streams on Jupiter are much simpler than those on Earth, causing less turbulence in the upper atmosphere.

Clouds of ammonia at Jupiter's outer atmosphere are carried along by these jet streams to form Jupiter's regimented coloured bands.

More w/video @ The mystery of Jupiter's coloured bands is finally solved! | Daily Mail Online

I'm just trying to gather how any of this is news not long known.

It's not news. I learned that in jr high.

Because, until recently (past 20 years), we didn't have the tech to be able to measure and detect stuff like this.

Pretty sure this is something we've know for a few decades, I remember hearing about it in school.amd I'm over 50.

This one of a polar cap is fairly recent. There is a octagonal symmetry of 8 vortexes about the pole. Click on the picture to see it in full resolution.

PIA22335.jpg

I have a NASA pic of Jupiter's amazing weather as my desktop pic,better than any Jackson Pollock.
We should keep space for science, and ban military operations!

I have a NASA pic of Jupiter's amazing weather as my desktop pic,better than any Jackson Pollock.
We should keep space for science, and ban military operations!

I have a Jackson Pollack. I don't think NASA's other photos look like the one in the article.

jackson-pollock-working.jpg

What was not known until now was details of the activity below the very top layer. Juno was able to peer into juoiter's atmosoheric, confirming the fact that these jet streams go seep into the atmosphere and detailing how the interatc with juoiter's magnetic field.

Forum List

Back