The mindset of the typical message board poster

JustTheFacts

Rookie
Dec 28, 2012
Started in this forum to , hopefully preclude pointing fingers at any specific posters. As that is not my intent with this thread.

Rather, I wish to discuss ( or debate, because in this context they mean the same thing) whether the bickering, arguing, lying, deceitfulness, denial, and just outright dishonest we see on message boards is a microcosm of real life, or if rather it is merely a product of the anonymity provided by message boards.

In either case, my next question is why do people feel the need to resort to such tactics to win what is essentially pointless debate?

I think it's a mixture of the two myself. I think people ARE that big of assholes in real life, but know that if they behaved to the extremes that they behave on anonymous message boards someone would put their dick in the dirt.

Next question. Has this forum affected the manner in which you debate elsewhere on this board, or others. Meaning do you follow the different rules set forth in this forum in other forums or do you adjust to fit the other forums and boards as well or do you just avoid other forums and boards altogether, or at least try to?

Started in this forum to , hopefully preclude pointing fingers at any specific posters. As that is not my intent with this thread.

Rather, I wish to discuss ( or debate, because in this context they mean the same thing) whether the bickering, arguing, lying, deceitfulness, denial, and just outright dishonest we see on message boards is a microcosm of real life, or if rather it is merely a product of the anonymity provided by message boards.

In either case, my next question is why do people feel the need to resort to such tactics to win what is essentially pointless debate?

I think it's a mixture of the two myself. I think people ARE that big of assholes in real life, but know that if they behaved to the extremes that they behave on anonymous message boards someone would put their dick in the dirt.

Next question. Has this forum affected the manner in which you debate elsewhere on this board, or others. Meaning do you follow the different rules set forth in this forum in other forums or do you adjust to fit the other forums and boards as well or do you just avoid other forums and boards altogether, or at least try to?

You know, I ask myself why I waste as much time as I do on pointless postings to people that could care less what I or anyone else thinks. IMO, these formats are simply a way to connect with like minded people and present a unified postition on a range of topics.
By having other people reinforce a belief or opinion that I might hold, it helps me believe my opinion is correct. And has merit.

Look at how younger people bully others on the 'Net. A group puts a person on an attack list and bam, a dozen pepole are posting stuff about this person. Same basic thing here except we use topics, then attack the person. Lots of would be bullies I see around here. Sometimes when a strongly worded messages is presented by hard core right wingers, you might see a dozen different people expressing their thanks for that position. No matter how off the wall. It's like a big gang bang. Don't see quite the same thing for the left opinion. It's more a love fest. One or two thanks is more typical. Why is that?

But as a format for true debate. This ain't it. To easy to ignore a person that engages you with real questions. Believe me, I have tried. Ask real questions about real problems and try and find out what a person would do if they could, good luck. For instance, ask what cuts in government spending a person would support, specifially. No one wants to be specific. You can't debate a broad based announcement that " the goverment should cut its spending 15%." OK, what 15%. Then nothing but silence or weird personal attacks.

Hey, but nice of you to ask. And no I don't change the way I post here or somewhere else.
Except I can't say my favorite three letter word.

:lmao:

alright..... ill bite...

how about we start off with socks who always seem to come back and try and be other people. I would say that they display everything you just described.

so maybe another questions should be a nice focus on their motives for coming back and trolling. I will suggest the reason for their continued return.... IS the need to win.

Oh and yes, I have no doubt that if some people on here came face to fact, and they continued to treat each other the same, their would be violence. For sure I think that. And of course being pretty much assured that you won't come fact to face with a person you are trash talking to, make some have pretty big balls I think.

• Banned

You know, I ask myself why I waste as much time as I do on pointless postings to people that could care less what I or anyone else thinks. IMO, these formats are simply a way to connect with like minded people and present a unified postition on a range of topics.
By having other people reinforce a belief or opinion that I might hold, it helps me believe my opinion is correct. And has merit.

Look at how younger people bully others on the 'Net. A group puts a person on an attack list and bam, a dozen pepole are posting stuff about this person. Same basic thing here except we use topics, then attack the person. Lots of would be bullies I see around here. Sometimes when a strongly worded messages is presented by hard core right wingers, you might see a dozen different people expressing their thanks for that position. No matter how off the wall. It's like a big gang bang. Don't see quite the same thing for the left opinion. It's more a love fest. One or two thanks is more typical. Why is that?

But as a format for true debate. This ain't it. To easy to ignore a person that engages you with real questions. Believe me, I have tried. Ask real questions about real problems and try and find out what a person would do if they could, good luck. For instance, ask what cuts in government spending a person would support, specifially. No one wants to be specific. You can't debate a broad based announcement that " the goverment should cut its spending 15%." OK, what 15%. Then nothing but silence or weird personal attacks.

Hey, but nice of you to ask. And no I don't change the way I post here or somewhere else.

cursing isn't prohibited in here. cursing AT someone is, but my understanding of the rules is you can curse. In fact I believe I've even dropped the fuck bomb a few times and no one has complained.

Don't know much about trolls. Except that they seem to really crave any form of attention. Isn't that why that take such outlandish positions at times? Just to get the attention.

I have heard that some may be paid trolls. Think there's any truth to that?

cursing isn't prohibited in here. cursing AT someone is, but my understanding of the rules is you can curse. In fact I believe I've even dropped the fuck bomb a few times and no one has complained.

?? OK. But I am trying to clean up to enjoy better levels of discourse. Might have to get Mac to stop by. I don't want to trash talk. You seem to have a pretty level head. Hey I read where you said "nukes don't kill by themselves, but we don't let people have nukes". I am paraphrasing, but that was the sentiment. Wasn't it?

Don't know much about trolls. Except that they seem to really crave any form of attention. Isn't that why that take such outlandish positions at times? Just to get the attention.

yes, in my opinion, liesmatters is a paid poster.

as for the socks.... attention whore is the proper term for them. They keep coming back for more.

But who doesn't love a good chew toy before it gets itself banned.

as for the socks.... attention whore is the proper term for them. They keep coming back for more.

As we got closer to the election in Nov., I was pretty sure a couple of paid posters showed up. Very articulate, obviously with a great command of the issues and quick with the comeback. And the ones I read were left wingers. Obama had a really good 'Net campaign.

Those your legs? Hope so They are attention getters. Better any troll. eusa_angel:

As we got closer to the election in Nov., I was pretty sure a couple of paid posters showed up. Very articulate, obviously with a great command of the issues and quick with the comeback. And the ones I read were left wingers. Obama had a really good 'Net campaign.

Those your legs? Hope so They are attention getters. Better any troll. eusa_angel:

agreed.... they are still amusing to watch...even if they are paid trolls.

alright..... ill bite...

how about we start off with socks who always seem to come back and try and be other people. I would say that they display everything you just described.

so maybe another questions should be a nice focus on their motives for coming back and trolling. I will suggest the reason for their continued return.... IS the need to win.

Right! And the need to be "right" which precludes the ultimate goal, of winning.

My behavior on any public message board is the same as when I am in public. I try to stay civil and avoid becoming homogenized.

For example, my fave expression, is the F-bomb word, but I think I have only used it once here, in almost 3 years. I used it once in public, too. How dare that server in the restaurant demand I open my brown bag containing a bottle of wine, to see if it were an opened container. I had just purchased it at a gift shop...lol, and had not uncorked it.

Oh well, she couldn't speak English and was/is from Thailand, so I forgive the invasion and assault on my personal liberties, as she was ignorant, no doubt of our customs at that time. She and her hubby are no longer in business.

What goes around____???

alright..... ill bite...

Right! And the need to be "right" which precludes the ultimate goal, of winning.

My behavior on any public message board is the same as when I am in public. I try to stay civil and avoid becoming homogenized.

For example, my fave expression, is the F-bomb word, but I think I have only used it once here, in almost 3 years. I used it once in public, too. How dare that server in the restaurant demand I open my brown bag containing a bottle of wine, to see if it were an opened container. I had just purchased it at a gift shop...lol, and had not uncorked it.

Oh well, she couldn't speak English and was/is from Thailand, so I forgive the invasion and assault on my personal liberties, as she was ignorant, no doubt of our customs at that time. She and her hubby are no longer in business.

What goes around____???

no kidding. The absolute need to be right! :thup:

I agree... several of the well worn retread socks are like that. Last word, right and must come back to finish and win!

alright..... ill bite...

What goes around____???

I agree... several of the well worn retread socks are like that. Last word, right and must come back to finish and win!

is that all you think about is socks? You seem obsessed with them to the point where you fail to realize that this thread isn't about socks.

It is about the way people communicate on message boards, please stick to the topic.

What goes around____???

is that all you think about is socks? You seem obsessed with them to the point where you fail to realize that this thread isn't about socks.

It is about the way people communicate on message boards, please stick to the topic.

You asked about dysfunctional posters...and the reasons why they are the way they are...

As you know.....socks figure greatly into that.

so again.....

becasue... socks have a psychological need to WIN!

of which i agree.... you have described several of our socks perfectly.

so in light of

just the facts

i would say

socks are the major problem on messages boards. They are obsessed and have a pathological need to win.

anything else you want to know?

so in light of

just the facts

i would say

socks are the major problem on messages boards. They are obsessed and have a pathological need to win.

The meaning of life and how come I keep losing socks in the washer?

so in light of

just the facts

i would say

The meaning of life and how come I keep losing socks in the washer?

aahh... the meaning of life is up to what each of us makes of life..... :tongue:

As for the socks.... they all unravel with time....

Forum List

Back