The Main Problems With Electric Cars

the basic batteries are about 25% larger than a AA. Might be called an F-Cell. There is a hierarchy of batteries, cells, and modules that is used. Here's is the battery design for a Tesla. There's about 7000 in the mid-range option Tesla S.

car-3.png

The way this is done makes recycling potentially a "revenue loser". And in combination with the ABSURD PLAN to "fix" the unreliable delivery scheduling of wind and solar -- that will add battery creation/disposal problem AS BIG or BIGGER than the estimate of EV use by 2030.

We will be NECK HIGH in very bad environmental muck due to the mining, manufacturing, disposal/recycling if we let morons sell us a BATTERY CENTRIC GRID trying to power BATTERY CENTRIC cars as any kind of "alternative energy infrastructure.

I admire what Musk does. But he's an entrepreneur and his drive is to SELL IDEAS. Like the quick charging options. He had also proposed that these would be nationwide and "solar powered". That promise is a lie. He'd need to have them in the Southwest with no weather to speak of and about 6 football size fields of solar panels and buildings the size of gymnasiums for power control and conditioning at each site. And on days when the sun dont shine or it snows, he's sucking from a grid that would ALSO be "solar based".

As far as the 15 minute charge which is the energy equivalent of mid-range battery option for the Model S is 90KWhr. That's almost 4 DAYS of a modest single family use going thru the cable in 15 minutes !!

Neither me or my family would be within 30 yards of that happening. It's just pushing the edge a bit too much to make that a mundane regular exercise. ESPECIALLY with battery modules near end of life.
Oh, I don't completely disagree with what you are saying but in the last 5 years, the EV has moved ahead light speed. And it's moving faster each year. Right now, EVs have a way to go to become the4 priority vehicle. As it stands now, the EV makes a fantastic 2nd vehicle. But I do predict that starting in 2024, things are going to change drastically. But the switch won't happen until about 2026. But it's going to happen.

Oh, I don't completely disagree with what you are saying but in the last 5 years, the EV has moved ahead light speed. And it's moving faster each year. Right now, EVs have a way to go to become the4 priority vehicle. As it stands now, the EV makes a fantastic 2nd vehicle. But I do predict that starting in 2024, things are going to change drastically. But the switch won't happen until about 2026. But it's going to happen.

Your dates are kinda funny. Because the 2024/26 cars are already mostly designed and NO HUGE ADVANCES in battery or charging tech have been made in about a decade.

Same deal going on over at the "we'll power it all with wind/solar/batteries" sideshow. Not much has changed in a decade to FIX the fatal flaws of the energy system SUPPOSED to make EVehicles CLEAN.

Right now -- people are virtue signaling in coal or gas fired EVs.

You want an electric vehicle that SOLVES SOMETHING without CREATING BIGGER problems? Buy a Hybrid. Or wait until fuel cell tech -- which IS advancing -- pushes us to a HYDROGEN energy system.

You and Musk have a lot in common. You're both competing to be a bigger salesman than P.T. Barnum. Perception is not progress. Exaggerated claims by powerful people can be VERY dangerous.

I own both a Hemi Powered (Okay, I can't look to far down my nose at your) but I also have an electric. The EV warms up faster since it isn't depending on the engine to warm up first.
But in freezing weather the EV wont travel as far either

The major problem with electric cars, and others as well, is that people want ones that are too big, heavy and over powered. An electric car similar to the dimensions and horsepower of the VW Beetle would be much more in line with reason.

You mean like by gas car? Or my old 1988 Ford F-250 which parts have ceased to be made? How many old Ford Trucks are still on the road. But there are some parts that just aren't offered anymore for them.

Okay, let's take a look at the charging stations for Tesla. On the average, in Colorado, they are no further than 150 miles apart. These stations (we have 10 of them at Sams Club and a few other places around here) are financed by the State. If the State requires something better than the Feds, the State is going to have to foot the bill. Just because your state cannot afford it doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't do it. I suggest you get better politicos that take care of the worth of the state better.
It still doesn't negate range fears. That's not going to fix it. EVs are still such a minor percentage of cars sold or on the marketplace that parts aren't available readily or easily.

And even old vehicles like an 88 model Ford truck...the mechanics can get used parts all day long from just about everywhere.

One of the things they need to address is passive charging. Once that gets solved, you'll see EVs as the standard.

What you'll see is something like this... Lets say Tesla has a campus in Phoenix. Instead of doing the conventional thing...driving your car into a parking spot and walking to the office, you pull up to the front door under the covered entry way. There is no parking but you get out anyway. Once you get out of your EV, the car navigates itself to a parking spot. I don't know if any of you have experienced it but sometimes lots are full but nobody tells you...so you drive around for a while looking for a non-existent empty spot. In the future, you won't have that problem. As one lot fills up, the car is re-routed to an empty spot in another lot. Once parked, the car docks with a recharging mechanism while you're working. When you leave, you "call" the car up on your phone and it comes to you.
So identity theft is common....sounds like a great way to get your car stolen. Or for the gizmo to have a massive meltdown and break down (kiss of engineering) then you can't get your car back while stuck at work. And the overcharging of your batteries is going to damage them.

Just no! I don't want any part of that vision.

When it takes off there will be options. Like battery swap stations.

I can see that being problematic too...
Like someone swaps their broken batteries for good ones. Or the swapper claims my batteries are bad and charges me replacement costs. Again more headaches I don't want.

So identity theft is common....sounds like a great way to get your car stolen. Or for the gizmo to have a massive meltdown and break down (kiss of engineering) then you can't get your car back while stuck at work. And the overcharging of your batteries is going to damage them.

Just no! I don't want any part of that vision.

Did you feel that way when remote control televisions came out--that someone outside your house would be able to change your channel?

Did you feel that way when remote control televisions came out--that someone outside your house would be able to change your channel?
Nope... television is in my home. And when they were Old School style remotes even CB radios could change the channel. Or garage door openers. But there weren't many around at the time.

Your dates are kinda funny. Because the 2024/26 cars are already mostly designed and NO HUGE ADVANCES in battery or charging tech have been made in about a decade.

Same deal going on over at the "we'll power it all with wind/solar/batteries" sideshow. Not much has changed in a decade to FIX the fatal flaws of the energy system SUPPOSED to make EVehicles CLEAN.

Right now -- people are virtue signaling in coal or gas fired EVs.

You want an electric vehicle that SOLVES SOMETHING without CREATING BIGGER problems? Buy a Hybrid. Or wait until fuel cell tech -- which IS advancing -- pushes us to a HYDROGEN energy system.

You and Musk have a lot in common. You're both competing to be a bigger salesman than P.T. Barnum. Perception is not progress. Exaggerated claims by powerful people can be VERY dangerous.

Just go back to sleep.

No, take it from an old motorhead, there is ALWAYS an upgrade available if you are willing to pay for it.
dude you couldnt fix a simple problem in your own car and your telling people youre a motorhead??

my ass youre a motorhead,,

I have 30 years of professional auto repair experience. Why don't you teach me some more?

I have 47 years of working on cars including building custom, souped up street rods, not to mention a masters in electronic engineering. And I'm not talking about body work. Why don't you go get screwed.

Forum List

Back