Christianity: The Presuppositional Foundation of Modern Science

Ringtone

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2019

In reality, modern Western science was founded upon Judeo-Christian presuppositional foundations from the Bible. Moreover, the scientific method today—with an emphasis on logical experimentation and mathematical formulation—still operates on those biblical assumptions.

1. Nature is real, not imaginary.
2. Nature is a thing, not God.
3. Nature is unified and orderly.
4. Nature is mathematically quantifiable.
5. Nature is the creature of a rational mind.
6. Human minds can discover and understand the natural order.

Last edited:
In reality, modern Western science was founded upon Judeo-Christian presuppositional foundations from the Bible.
I have to disagree. Science doesn't recognize anything supernatural since, by definition, it is the study of nature. Science really began when people realized that the laws of nature, unlike the laws of God, are discoverable by anyone.

I have to disagree. Science doesn't recognize anything supernatural since, by definition, it is the study of nature. Science really began when people realized that the laws of nature, unlike the laws of God, are discoverable by anyone.
Religion and science seek to answer vastly different questions. Where they overlap are areas like the origin of the universe, which can never be known.

Science and faith are in no way incompatible -- except in the minds of people who hate people of faith.
Though I understand what you ultimately mean, the mythologies of naturalists and materialists are no less faith-based. Classical theists put their faith in the reliability of the incontrovertible imperatives of logic, mathematics, and metaphysics. These things tell us that God necessarily exists. The fact of the matter is that naturalism and materialism are antirational presuppositions.

Though I understand what you ultimately mean, the mythologies of naturalists and materialists are no less faith-based. Classical theists put their faith in the reliability of the incontrovertible imperatives of logic, mathematics, and metaphysics. These things tell us that God necessarily exists. The fact of the matter is that naturalism and materialism are antirational presuppositions.
Science purports to explain the origin of the universe, advancing theories that fit current observations, but with no way to prove what happened.

People take these theories on faith...and some of them get angry at people suggesting any other ideas.

Nonsense. The modern scientific method is predicated on the Christian imperative that nature is rational per the laws of nature established by God and that we as rational beings can understand it via experimentation and verification.

Nonsense. The modern scientific method is predicated on the Christian imperative that nature is rational per the laws of nature established by God and that we as rational beings can understand it via experimentation and verification.
Religion is revealed knowledge, science is discovered knowledge. They should be compliments not competiters

Science purports to explain the origin of the universe, advancing theories that fit current observations, but with no way to prove what happened.

People take these theories on faith...and some of them get angry at people suggesting any other ideas.
Am I right to assume that you're alluding to the exact physics of origin?

Classical theists put their faith in the reliability of the incontrovertible imperatives of logic, mathematics, and metaphysics. These things tell us that God necessarily exists. The fact of the matter is that naturalism and materialism are antirational presuppositions.
There is nothing more irrational than metaphysics, only existentialism is real and rational!

There is nothing more irrational than metaphysics, only existentialism is real and rational!
Well, given that existentialism is a metaphysical construct, I find your assertion ironic. Just saying. ;)

In reality, modern Western science was founded upon Judeo-Christian presuppositional foundations from the Bible.
While that is absurd and laughable, the quality and progression of science is measured in part by how far it has left all of that childish nonsense behind. So even if this were an important point, it would serve only to highlight the failure of the primitive, magical, religious thinking.

Last edited:
Well, given that existentialism is a metaphysical construct, I find your assertion ironic. Just saying. ;)
BULLSHIT!
Existentialism is real and we see it everywhere, whereas metaphysics is purely faith based with no proof of its existence.

Forum List

Back