The Liberal Myth that the Rich Pay "Virtually No Taxes"

taxmageddon.png

Our ultra rich have seen a 528% in tax rate..........does that equate to "virtually no taxes"?

Sorry Mike but....on factual grounds you may win this arguement. You will also win this arguement on moral grounds. But you will never win this arguement under the current conditions of politics/tax code in this country. As long as a large % of the adult population in the US pays 0 or less federal tax, they have no inclination to fight against overtaxing. The politicians have purposely set it up this way so as they have a group to pander to in elections. We both know this, and so does every lefty on this board, and good luck beating your head against the wall trying to get them to admit it; although I do appreciate your using facts in an attempt to try and get them to do so!

As the wise say...........a 10% rise in taxes on 100 dollars is 10 bucks. A 10% rise on zero taxes is still zero. Nothing from nothing means nothing to them financially, so how we gonna win that arguement on any political grounds?

he wins neither argument. and the people who pay no taxes CAN'T pay taxes because they don't have sufficient earnings or they are exempt (e.g., social security recipients or those in the military).

when people say the rich pay no taxes, they mean PROPORTIONATE TO THEIR EARNINGS.

I pay a certain percentage of income in taxes. someone who makes millions should pay the same percentage.

and multinational corporations like exxon mobile pay almost nothing.... or nothing at all.

and if someone earns their money from dividends, they should be taxed at the same rate as someone who earns the same amount as a W-2 employee or independent contractor

If the rich pay "virtually nothing" in taxes, as liberals continue to claim, how is it that they pay the majority of federal personal income taxes? According to federal income tax data, the top 1% pay about 45% of all federal income taxes. The top 10% pay at least 60% of all federal income taxes. And the top 20% pay over 80% of all federal income taxes.

Top 1% pay nearly half of federal income taxes

Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid 68 Percent of Federal Income Taxes

Top 20% of Earners Pay 84% of Income Tax

STEPHEN MOORE: Do the rich pay their fair share of taxes?

Do the rich pay lower taxes than the middle class?

The Rich Pay More than Their Fair Share of Taxes | Economics21

What's more, the top 1% pay around 24% of all federal taxes (income taxes, corporate taxes, tariffs, etc.). The top 10% pay over 50% of all federal taxes.

1 Percenters Pay 24 Percent and Top 10 Percent Pay 53.3 Percent of All Federal Taxes

And this is on top of the huge amount of county and state taxes that the rich pay, especially rich people who own businesses. I have two relatives who own businesses, and I can't believe how much they get soaked in county and state taxes, especially property taxes.

Liberals who go around peddling the kool-aid myth that "the rich pay virtually no taxes" or that "the average rich person pays less than a middle-income earner" obviously don't know any rich people and/or any business owners and are basing these silly claims on grossly misleading "studies" churned out by liberal think tanks and economists.

Who says the Rich pay 'virtually no' taxes?

he seems to need to make up what other people say and then argue against what he made up.

Are fed income taxes the only taxes out there ?? These threads always ignore the fact that there are a shit load of other taxes out there .

The real question is what is the real tax rate of the rich . Whenever some rich guy (usually a politician ) has to reveal his taxes it is always a lot lower than the posted rates because we have so many tax shelters.

Are fed income taxes the only taxes out there ?? These threads always ignore the fact that there are a shit load of other taxes out there .

The real question is what is the real tax rate of the rich . Whenever some rich guy (usually a politician ) has to reveal his taxes it is always a lot lower than the posted rates because we have so many tax shelters.
Almost all State taxes are REGRESSIVE TAXES.

Please tell us how Regressive Taxation burdens the Rich even more?

Sorry Mike but....on factual grounds you may win this arguement. You will also win this arguement on moral grounds. But you will never win this arguement under the current conditions of politics/tax code in this country. As long as a large % of the adult population in the US pays 0 or less federal tax, they have no inclination to fight against overtaxing. The politicians have purposely set it up this way so as they have a group to pander to in elections. We both know this, and so does every lefty on this board, and good luck beating your head against the wall trying to get them to admit it; although I do appreciate your using facts in an attempt to try and get them to do so!

As the wise say...........a 10% rise in taxes on 100 dollars is 10 bucks. A 10% rise on zero taxes is still zero. Nothing from nothing means nothing to them financially, so how we gonna win that arguement on any political grounds?
And a 10% raise on a billion dollars is a hundred million. What is it you could do with 1,000,000,000 dollars that you couldn't do with 900,000,000?

Almost all State taxes are REGRESSIVE TAXES.

Please tell us how Regressive Taxation burdens the Rich even more?

Those taxes are also misleading . It's like buying a car . No one pays the sticker price . I think the only rich who pay the top rates are lottery winners .

But hey, Tom Brady and I drive the same distance to work . We pay the same for tolls and gas taxes even though he's a multi millionaire .

And a 10% raise on a billion dollars is a hundred million. What is it you could do with 1,000,000,000 dollars that you couldn't do with 900,000,000?

That's a false premise

What can you do with 2 pairs of shoes that you can't do with one?

What right does the government have to take a persons property ? One's money is one's property after all

That's a false premise

What right does the government have to take a persons property ? One's money is one's property after all

You want no government. You're mentally retarded.

That's a false premise

Where on earth did I say that?

You have the IQ of an oyster

That's a false premise

There can be no government without revenue to pay for it. You stated unequivocally that you believe the government has no right to take anyone's money.

You're a retard.

What a stupid op.

Where are those liberals who make the claim that the ultra rich pay virtully nothing in the way of income taxes....where are those people other than in the head of the OP.

Uhhhh, there are two threads going right now in which liberals have claimed that the rich "pay virtually nothing" in taxes and/or that "the rich pay less in taxes than the middle class," etc., etc. Those comments, and many others I've seen/heard in recent years, prompted me to write this thread.

If the wealthy are paying 17% effective tax rate compared to the 50% they should be paying, does that qualify as "virtually nothing"?

You make two dubious assumptions and then proceed from there.

Why should anyone have an effective tax rate of 50%?

Does your fuzzy-math claim about a 17% effective tax rate include all the taxes that the rich pay in state and county taxes? I am barely in the top 20% and my state takes about 5% of my gross income and refunds about $100 of that money to me each year. And, good grief, I pay many thousands of dollars in state sales tax and county property tax. Two of my relatives own businesses, and they pay a huge amount in state and county business and property taxes. Does your 17% figure include state and county taxes?

Why?

Because that is where our tax rate used to be before we were running up record debt. It is where our tax rate used to be when taxes actually paid more for infrastructure, education and healthcare. It is where our tax rate used to be when the Government actually accomplished things

We have seen what Supply Side tax rates have done for this country...time to fix the mistake

You are totally confused. Every major tax cut has been followed by a huge increase in federal revenue. So you can't blame tax cuts for the rise in the debt. If we had just held spending to a growth rate that mirrored inflation after 2003, the debt would have gone no higher than maybe $6 trillion, we would have had a balanced budget by 2007, and would have paid down a sizable chunk of the national debt by now.

Last edited:

That's a false premise

There can be no government without revenue to pay for it. You stated unequivocally that you believe the government has no right to take anyone's money.

You're a retard.

There are other ways to tax than by confiscation of earnings moron

Obama's 'smoothest transition evuh' was delayed and fraught with problems, as it seemed almost every Liberal he picked to fill a Cabinet position - to, sadly, include the position of Secretary of the TREASURY Lil' Timmy Tax Cheat, had not made attempts to pay their taxes.

Charlie Rangel, who presided over the committee responsible for WRITING tax laws, was caught MULTIPLE times trying to defraud the IRS, hiding and refusing to pay the taxes he owed. Instead of being put in jail, fined, or even having to pay penalties / interest on back taxes he owed he was simply forced to cut a check for what he owed. ("Garsh, ya got me AGAIN. I'll just cut you a check for what I owe, and we can let this whole 'criminal' thing go...again...".)

Al Sharpton, the 'Million Dollah Minister', a tax cheat / welcher.

You can call the FACT that Liberals don't like to pay their fair share until they have to a myth, but it has been proved in many a case.....

That's a false premise

You're a retard.

I don't hear you telling us what those ways are.

That's a false premise

You're a retard.

I don't hear you telling us what those ways are.

You really are dumb aren't you?

What a stupid op.

Where are those liberals who make the claim that the ultra rich pay virtully nothing in the way of income taxes....where are those people other than in the head of the OP.

Uhhhh, there are two threads going right now in which liberals have claimed that the rich "pay virtually nothing" in taxes and/or that "the rich pay less in taxes than the middle class," etc., etc. Those comments, and many others I've seen/heard in recent years, prompted me to write this thread.

If the wealthy are paying 17% effective tax rate compared to the 50% they should be paying, does that qualify as "virtually nothing"?

You make two dubious assumptions and then proceed from there.

Why should anyone have an effective tax rate of 50%?

Does your fuzzy-math claim about a 17% effective tax rate include all the taxes that the rich pay in state and county taxes? I am barely in the top 20% and my state takes about 5% of my gross income and refunds about $100 of that money to me each year. And, good grief, I pay many thousands of dollars in state sales tax and county property tax. Two of my relatives own businesses, and they pay a huge amount in state and county business and property taxes. Does your 17% figure include state and county taxes?

Why?

Because that is where our tax rate used to be before we were running up record debt. It is where our tax rate used to be when taxes actually paid more for infrastructure, education and healthcare. It is where our tax rate used to be when the Government actually accomplished things

We have seen what Supply Side tax rates have done for this country...time to fix the mistake

You are totally confused. Every major tax cut has been followed by a huge increase in federal revenue. So you can't blame tax cuts for the rise in the debt. If we had just held spending to a growth rate that mirrored inflation after 2003, the debt would have gone no higher than maybe $6 trillion, we would have had a balanced budget by 2007, and would have paid down a sizable chunk of the national debt by now.

We added two wars in 2001 and 2003.

Tax cuts do not increase revenue. No cause and effect has ever been proven.

Forum List

Back