The Kings Speech

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This film has had almost universal acclaim...

The 'New Republic' magazine published the most unusual review of this film that I have seen. What I liked about it was the demand for historical authenticity, hardly a bar that the film industry has had to surmount- until now.

It is worth reading before you decide to see the flick...here is part:

1. The movie has been nominated for just about every existing award, and a bevy of Oscar nominations are forthcoming. The period drama is also on its way to financial success.

2. The King’s Speech is historically inaccurate, entirely misleading, and, in its own small way, morally dubious.

3. The film tells the story of King George VI (Colin Firth) and his battle with a speech impediment. Bertie, as he was known, seeks the help of a speech therapist (played by Geoffrey Rush), and the two spend most of the film—differences in social status be damned—bonding.

4. The only reason that Bertie managed to ascend to the throne in the first place was that his older brother, David (aka Edward VIII), decided to abdicate so he could marry a Baltimore divorcee by the name of Wallis Simpson. In the film, Edward VIII (nicely played by Guy Pearce) is presented as childish and cruel to his brother (which no doubt he was).

5. And, as a way of presenting his political views, we see him make a single foolish comment about the Nazis. What the film never mentions is that Edward VIII was an ardent admirer of Hitler and of fascism, and a proponent of appeasement long after Germany moved onto Polish soil and hostilities began in earnest. Edward lived in continental Europe with Simpson after abdicating; following the German invasion of France, he absurdly asked the Nazis to look after his house.

6. Bertie himself is also romanticized. He is seen presciently raising the question of German aggression before the invasion of the Sudetenland. Edward waves off Bertie’s warning, and, the next time we are instructed to focus on political questions, the King is heroically rallying his people to the battle against fascism. The film leaves out what happened in the intervening period.

7. Bertie ascended to the throne at the end of 1936. Three years later, he gives the speech of the film’s title. In the time between these two events, the British government notoriously blundered and appeased the Nazis, most famously at Munich. Less well-remembered is that after Prime Minister Chamberlain returned from giving away a chunk of Europe to the Germans, he was immediately invited to Buckingham Palace to appear on the balcony with the King and Queen (the latter is now better known as the recently departed but beloved “Queen Mum”).

8. This was both a violation of protocol—the Royals are supposed to stay out of politics—and an extraordinary endorsement of a prime minister whose foreign policy was disastrous. Much of the Labour Party was rightly furious. This despicable historical fact is less well-known than it should be, but the film fails twice—first, by not showing it at all, and, second, by implying that Bertie was staunchly anti-fascist from the start.

9. ...The King’s Speech has taken things a step further by not only simplifying its story but grossly misrepresenting real events and people.
?The King?s Speech? Is An Ugly Distortion Of History | The New Republic

So, do you feel that there is a need for accuracy, or does art have the right, the license to alter history as it sees the need?

Need one support the production, and ignore the reality?

the British government notoriously blundered and appeased the Nazis, most famously at Munich.

And by doing so, the argument can be made, emboldened Hitler to continue his militarization.

Once Hitler no longer had to fear the Czechs (because the land that he was given included Czecholsokia's fortress ridden frontier with Germany..a system of fortresses that the Germans could ill afford to tackle) his vunerable underbelly was secure and he could continue to prepare for war.

At the time this land was given to him, it is even dubious that his military forces could have defeated the Czechs, let alone the French, Brits and their allies.

But sans allies, or more correctly, with their allies pressuring the Czechs to give up their defensive posture by threatening to abandon them as allies if they did not give up the Sudendenland, that young nation became a sacrificed pawn whose sacrifice ultimately served no good purpose.

It was, in retrospect, possibly the dumbest move that Chamberland could have made.

Last edited:
I'm completely confused. I thought the Queen Mum was married to George VI and that he ascended to the throne after Edward abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson. And on George VI's death that Elizabeth II ascended to the throne. Wasn't there some connection to German royalty somewhere in the family - House of Hannover or something? Are George and Bertie the same person?

I thought the movie was going to be about Edward's abdication speech - because it would have been an important message to the Brits. In any event, I'll probably pass on the movie now.

So, let me get this straight..... Hollywood regularly destroys history and people cheer it. A British movie - about the affliction of stammering get panned because it doesn't insist on being perfectly accurate historically.

What's the matter? Are Americans afraid that it's gonna scope the Oscars?

My wife loved it but I fell asleep halfway through. I thought "True Grit" should have won the Best Picture Oscar.

I liked it. I get sick of all the special effects, CGI, shoot 'em up, blow 'em up, whatever movies. It was nice to watch a movie that the story line and actors made the movie.

Thumbs up for me. Good movie.

I just watched The King's Speech.

It was a great movie.

I didn't care about the accuracy; I don't count on Hollywood to teach me history. If they give me a good story, I'm happy. If I find it interesting enough, I do my own research. I don't feel any resentment that the movie folks got it wrong...they are presenting a story.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I saw the movie. I thought it was rather dry and dull. The wife enjoyed it because a relative of hers was in the movie. I'm no movie critic but I know what I like and what I don't like. It' left me "empty" and I think it was very boring.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back