The Jason Aldean factor

Discussion in 'Stock Market' started by Tommy Tainant, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Tommy Tainant

Tommy Tainant Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,502
    A company I am following has just bought the rights to a lot of his songs including his new album. I have never heard of him and was looking for some feedback from the more culturally aware amongst you.

They have already got Dave Stewarts stuff and Al Jackson and I have been looking at it for a little while.

INVESTMENT OBJECTIVE AND POLICY — Hipgnosis Songs Fund Limited

2. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,328
    Eh, he's one of the more popular crap-pop-country modern singers.

It was his concert in Las Vegas where there was a bunch of shooting. He ran offstage without a "Get down, y'all", or anything.

Kinda shows that he didn't care too much for his fans, only himself.

If anyone else out there feels like I do about him, you may have bought into a loser.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dekster

Dekster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,739
    The company seems to be focused on acquiring the writer's share of royalties. It is a lot easier for them to say "When we get to (x%) of the market, we will be in a position to increase the writer's cut" than it will be to actually do it.

4. Tommy Tainant

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,502
    I think it's a one off payment.

5. Dekster

Dekster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,739
    Sure. There are a dozen or so different rights in a song and often even owning them doesn't guarantee much if they have been assigned to a label other than whatever deal the signed was for about the first 20 years after release. It is also an area that is in great flux as people like Taylor Swift are pushing to own their own catalogs. I am not saying do or don't here. I am just pointing out exercise great care with them before your leap off that bridge.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Tommy Tainant

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,502
    Yup. The music business breeds sharks. I am looking at the bid/offer spread at the moment and it's too wide to tempt me. However they have just delivered figures in line with forecasts and the roster is growing. One to watch.

7. Dekster

Dekster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,739
    It has been said many times that the music business is about the business not the music.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tommy Tainant

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,502
    Even that band in your local pub have to pay rent.

9. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,476
    Most songwriters like the liquidity of being able to sell their songbooks. The Beatles certainly never objected to the sale of theirs, and in any case many of these labels barely make a 5% return on their music labels; for every Swift out there they carry around about 30 mediocre and loser acts, so it's not like they're all cheaters, though there are some hustlers, of course. Most musician aren't any more honest so I can't work up much of a Pity Party for most of them. Swift has every right to buy back her rights, but nobody is obligated to give them back to her for free; she made a choice; they put up the front money to get her career going and still do.

Most people don't have any idea what it costs to market a band or just a single musician; it cost a lot, unless you';re happy with being a YouTube millionaire, and there are many of those. Travel expenses, crew, venue rentals, etc., so yeah, many acts don't even sell enough to break even.

10. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,476
    Pop and rock n roll has always just been about prying disposable incomes out of the pockets of teenagers and kids; most of it is trash as a result. Some like to pretend they're 'artists' but mostly it's just the art of the con, conning kids and fashion victims out of their cash.

• Agree Agree x 2