The Infamous Ipod

um, did you read that story?
that doesnt look like its a part of the internet to me

No, it is about the new modern internet. One of the latest ways modern scientists are looking at the internet is by using massive supercomputers as servers, that will enable you to use just a screen, a keyboard, a mouse and a router to operate a computer (at least that is the idea).

maybe this is a better link

'The Grid' Could Soon Make the Internet Obsolete
Monday, April 07, 2008
E-MailPrint
Share:
The Internet could soon be made obsolete. The scientists who pioneered it have now built a lightning-fast replacement capable of downloading entire feature films within seconds.

At speeds about 10,000 times faster than a typical broadband connection, “the grid” will be able to send the entire Rolling Stones back catalogue from Britain to Japan in less than two seconds.

The latest spin-off from Cern, the particle physics centre that created the web, the grid could also provide the kind of power needed to transmit holographic images; allow instant online gaming with hundreds of thousands of players; and offer high-definition video telephony for the price of a local call.

David Britton, professor of physics at Glasgow University and a leading figure in the grid project, believes grid technologies could “revolutionise” society. “With this kind of computing power, future generations will have the ability to collaborate and communicate in ways older people like me cannot even imagine,” he said.

The power of the grid will become apparent this summer after what scientists at Cern have termed their “red button” day - the switching-on of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the new particle accelerator built to probe the origin of the universe. The grid will be activated at the same time to capture the data it generates.

Cern, based near Geneva, started the grid computing project seven years ago when researchers realised the LHC would generate annual data equivalent to 56m CDs - enough to make a stack 40 miles high.

This meant that scientists at Cern - where Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented the web in 1989 - would no longer be able to use his creation for fear of causing a global collapse.

This is because the Internet has evolved by linking together a hotchpotch of cables and routing equipment, much of which was originally designed for telephone calls and therefore lacks the capacity for high-speed data transmission.

By contrast, the grid has been built with dedicated fibre optic cables and modern routing centres, meaning there are no outdated components to slow the deluge of data. The 55,000 servers already installed are expected to rise to 200,000 within the next two years.

Professor Tony Doyle, technical director of the grid project, said: “We need so much processing power, there would even be an issue about getting enough electricity to run the computers if they were all at Cern. The only answer was a new network powerful enough to send the data instantly to research centres in other countries.”

That network, in effect a parallel Internet, is now built, using fibre optic cables that run from Cern to 11 centres in the United States, Canada, the Far East, Europe and around the world.

One terminates at the Rutherford Appleton laboratory at Harwell in Oxfordshire.

From each centre, further connections radiate out to a host of other research institutions using existing high-speed academic networks.

It means Britain alone has 8,000 servers on the grid system – so that any student or academic will theoretically be able to hook up to the grid rather than the internet from this autumn.

Ian Bird, project leader for Cern’s high-speed computing project, said grid technology could make the internet so fast that people would stop using desktop computers to store information and entrust it all to the internet.

“It will lead to what’s known as cloud computing, where people keep all their information online and access it from anywhere,” he said.

Computers on the grid can also transmit data at lightning speed. This will allow researchers facing heavy processing tasks to call on the assistance of thousands of other computers around the world. The aim is to eliminate the dreaded “frozen screen” experienced by internet users who ask their machine to handle too much information.

The real goal of the grid is, however, to work with the LHC in tracking down nature’s most elusive particle, the Higgs boson. Predicted in theory but never yet found, the Higgs is supposed to be what gives matter mass.

The LHC has been designed to hunt out this particle - but even at optimum performance it will generate only a few thousand of the particles a year. Analysing the mountain of data will be such a large task that it will keep even the grid’s huge capacity busy for years to come.

Although the grid itself is unlikely to be directly available to domestic internet users, many telecoms providers and businesses are already introducing its pioneering technologies. One of the most potent is so-called dynamic switching, which creates a dedicated channel for internet users trying to download large volumes of data such as films. In theory this would give a standard desktop computer the ability to download a movie in five seconds rather than the current three hours or so.

Additionally, the grid is being made available to dozens of other academic researchers including astronomers and molecular biologists.

It has already been used to help design new drugs against malaria, the mosquito-borne disease that kills 1m people worldwide each year. Researchers used the grid to analyse 140m compounds - a task that would have taken a standard internet-linked PC 420 years.

“Projects like the grid will bring huge changes in business and society as well as science,” Doyle said.

“Holographic video conferencing is not that far away. Online gaming could evolve to include many thousands of people, and social networking could become the main way we communicate.

“The history of the internet shows you cannot predict its real impacts but we know they will be huge.”

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,347212,00.html

Last edited:

Notice ... it took 100,000 to start it, and those are just the servers counted. Really, you are looking at the net like it's some box buried deep in a basement, it's far far far more complex than that.

As I said, start looking up and studying the info, or just ... well ... stop pretending it's a solution to all our problems. There is nothing the government can do, much less afford, to make it profitable. They can't even police it anymore than they could the BBS's way back when (which is also the root of how the internet started). It's a huge system made up of a lot of huge systems, connected by several huge systems, which include networks, private servers, public servers (the least popular) and personal computers. It's not a "network" because it isn't even one solid technology, there are several technologies involved, and several versions of each technology, with several hundred software packages and OS's running on several million machines world wide. The W3C is a consortium of gray matter that attempts to make some order from this chaos, though even they know, it's just not possible. One person on here equated it to a living thing, I never countered that because it is actually very close to such. It changes and evolves based on who connects what to it, and even the IP routers are not static, they change just as often as the rest of it. It is constantly updated, constantly changing, and never ending. You can't just "upgrade" anything on it, and while you can improve ISP connections, those are privately owned and maintained. Anyone with enough money could start their own, and many have, this is one of the reasons our country "looks bad" with reports such as you posted, there are too many ISP's here, while other countries only have a few (I think China has 3, total). Anyone with a phone line and the right equipment can start an ISP company, the more phone lines you have the faster you can offer, if you have the right know how and equipment.

No, it is about the new modern internet. One of the latest ways modern scientists are looking at the internet is by using massive supercomputers as servers, that will enable you to use just a screen, a keyboard, a mouse and a router to operate a computer (at least that is the idea).
that server farm is to digest all the new data collected from the super collider
not to be a part of the internet
that had nothing to do with the internet or internet speeds

Damnit, now I have to read it.

Crap, I am not going to bother editing mine in light of this new gem, but yeah, I should have read it to. Still, it doesn't change my last post much.
the first paragraph tells you what you need to know

well, the first few paragraphs
and then they go on to claim CERN "invented" the internet :lol:

Last edited:

that server farm is to digest all the new data collected from the super collider

Also notice how Munin mentions old tech in his post. I know many office buildings that have had that style of network for many years now, some even before the internet was popular.

maybe you should read the other article I ve posted, in that one it is much more clear that it is about the internet and internet speeds

Damnit, now I have to read it.

Crap, I am not going to bother editing mine in light of this new gem, but yeah, I should have read it to. Still, it doesn't change my last post much.
the first paragraph tells you what you need to know

well, the first few paragraphs
and then they go on to claim CERN "invented" the internet :lol:

:lol::lol:

You're right, they did make that claim.

maybe you should read the other article I ve posted, in that one it is much more clear that it is about the internet and internet speeds

I did read it ... and all they talked about was what medical practitioners have been using for a few years as well as well as ... co-op CPUs, like ... oh I don't know ... math-co processors ... same concept just on a larger scale, old tech, old news, from a bunch of nuts who actually think they invented the internet. (thanks for that one DiveCon) Synchronizing multiple CPUs always boosts speeds, it's the same technology and concept the "Blade" centers work on as well. I can buy some Blade centers from 10 years ago at my local junk shop, was even going to soon and switching my site to my own personal server. Really, you need to look this up more before using articles like this.

are you talking about the IPv6 protocol?

I did read it ... and all they talked about was what medical practitioners have been using for a few years as well as well as ... co-op CPUs, like ... oh I don't know ... math-co processors ... same concept just on a larger scale, old tech, old news, from a bunch of nuts who actually think they invented the internet. (thanks for that one DiveCon) Synchronizing multiple CPUs always boosts speeds, it's the same technology and concept the "Blade" centers work on as well. I can buy some Blade centers from 10 years ago at my local junk shop, was even going to soon and switching my site to my own personal server. Really, you need to look this up more before using articles like this.
he's talking about coprocessors?
:eek:
hell, the 486's had math coprocessors
now they are up to quad core on a single CPU

That's pretty much what "hooking up a bunch of computers" means ... just the synchronization methods are a bit different but yeah, it's all old tech.

That's pretty much what "hooking up a bunch of computers" means ... just the synchronization methods are a bit different but yeah, it's all old tech.
sever farms have been around for years
thats nothing new

what i've been waiting for is the POP4 protocol to come out

thats nothing new

Most POP upgrades hold little to no value to me personally, as such I never pay much attention to them and only upgrade when needed to keep up. I just can't wait until all browsers finally catch up to HTML4, now that would rule. It makes site design so much easier, a simplified XHTML. Works smoother with PHP5 as well.

Java 7 may however be frightening, for one reason, Sun got bought out and there is a possibility that the new owners may want to go the route of Adobe Flash, making it closed source, which will suck because then I'll have to buy the latest JDK instead of downloading it for free.

I am debating upgrading to SQL5 though, debating because so far most servers are still at 4+, but when I get my own server I will upgrade that.

One upgrade I am hoping is PHP soon, but with a more streamlined and coherent native function list, the current functions are all over the map, like Java 3 was before they started actually worrying about such things. PHP5 recently added object oriented code, not very useful yet but it makes overrides easier ....

... bah! Now I ramble.

thats nothing new

Most POP upgrades hold little to no value to me personally, as such I never pay much attention to them and only upgrade when needed to keep up. I just can't wait until all browsers finally catch up to HTML4, now that would rule. It makes site design so much easier, a simplified XHTML. Works smoother with PHP5 as well.

Java 7 may however be frightening, for one reason, Sun got bought out and there is a possibility that the new owners may want to go the route of Adobe Flash, making it closed source, which will suck because then I'll have to buy the latest JDK instead of downloading it for free.

I am debating upgrading to SQL5 though, debating because so far most servers are still at 4+, but when I get my own server I will upgrade that.

One upgrade I am hoping is PHP soon, but with a more streamlined and coherent native function list, the current functions are all over the map, like Java 3 was before they started actually worrying about such things. PHP5 recently added object oriented code, not very useful yet but it makes overrides easier ....

... bah! Now I ramble.
the POP4 protocol is supposed to make it next to impossible to spam
as each address doing the sending will need to verify that it is an active account
not sure how its supposed to do that, but i sure hope it is possible
think of how much less bandwidth would be wasted if they could stop the fucking spammers

thats nothing new

... bah! Now I ramble.
the POP4 protocol is supposed to make it next to impossible to spam
as each address doing the sending will need to verify that it is an active account
not sure how its supposed to do that, but i sure hope it is possible
think of how much less bandwidth would be wasted if they could stop the fucking spammers

True, but I rely on Google for my email so whatever they do is all I need.

As for the technical side, it is possible by "pinging" (more than just an echo between computers now) the account. Though it would not be entirely effective until everyone upgrades to it, you may not want to put the full filter on for a while lest you lose a friends message to you in other words, once everyone is using the same protocol it would work in reducing a lot. The ping would basically send a "please tell me if you are there" request to the account sending the message, if there is no response then the account doesn't exist, if it responds, usually with a "here I am" type response, then it's an acceptable message. It won't clean it perfectly but will reduce about 80% of the spam we get today, because about that much of it is from fake addresses.

Forum List

Back