The Immigration Dilemma

17%2B-%2B1

Immigration is on the whole a significant benefit to the accepting country and community.
Bad people who do bad things certainly need to be dealt with effectively.

Every country has a right to refuse entry to people who do not respect that countries culture and laws. I have to agree with people who want these bad examples dealt with fairly under law. Removal and strong effective borders just makes sense and is what the majority want, regardless of political bias.

But to make immigration work well, communities and individuals need to make immigrants feel like they are home so that they will become contributors to their communities.

If you have come to a country to commit crime against its people, you need to go back and stay out.

However, if you have come to a country to prosper and contribute and you are treated with hateful prejudiced acts simply because you struggle to speak that language or look different, then you have my support.

I am currently in the process of hiring someone. We flew six people in for an interview. Five of them weren't born in the United States.

I had dinner with nine people at an industry conference a few weeks ago. Eight of us were born outside of the United States.

This country attracts the best and brightest from around the world and benefits from it.
It is not that Americans are not good employees, we are among the best in the world but there are 25 times as many people living elsewhere. If want the best we should not limit ourselves because the best can be found almost anywhere.

Immigration is on the whole a significant benefit to the accepting country and community.

Every country has a right to refuse entry to people who do not respect that countries culture and laws. I have to agree with people who want these bad examples dealt with fairly under law. Removal and strong effective borders just makes sense and is what the majority want, regardless of political bias.

But to make immigration work well, communities and individuals need to make immigrants feel like they are home so that they will become contributors to their communities.

If you have come to a country to commit crime against its people, you need to go back and stay out.

However, if you have come to a country to prosper and contribute and you are treated with hateful prejudiced acts simply because you struggle to speak that language or look different, then you have my support.

We are dealing with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION mostly. To say "significant benefit" is not exactly correct. There have been many threads here going over the financials on the illegal matter.
This 2013 report estimates the annual costs of illegal immigration at the federal, state and local level to be about $113 billion;

The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013)

We are dealing with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION mostly. To say "significant benefit" is not exactly correct. There have been many threads here going over the financials on the illegal matter.
This 2013 report estimates the annual costs of illegal immigration at the federal, state and local level to be about $113 billion;

The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013)
You do realize that this report? is an opinion piece by an extremist organization that ignores the contribution to the economy of undocumented immigrants and the fact that they are not eligible for welfare, food stamps, or medicaid. What they present as facts are assumptions based on estimates that can be off by over 100%.

Almost half the cost they quote is for education of children of illegal immigrants. What they don't mention is that these children are US citizens and many if not most were born to legal US residents that are now illegal due visa expiration. They also omit the millions paid in social security and medicare taxes that they will never be able to use. They omit the fact that undocumented immigrants own businesses that create jobs, and they all pay sales taxes and many pay property which finance schools.

In the US, crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor such as fishing without a license or disorderly conduct. If it is a first offense, there is no trial just a hearing in immigration court, a civil court. There is no punishment just deportation. If the person waives his immigration hearing, deportation will often be immediate and the person will be able to enter the US legally. If he request a hearing and the court decides to deport him, he will deported and not allowed to enter the US legally for 10 years. If he continues to enter the US illegally, then it will be treated as a felony which carries jail time and deportation.

Overstaying a visa, which accounts for almost half of the undocumented immigrants is not considered a crime. If the person leaves the country or request a hearing within few days, immigration status remains the same and their record remains clean. If the person stay longer, their status changes to an undocumented immigrant and they can be detained by ICE and deported by the immigration court.

Violators of immigration law are detainees, not prisoners. Except for habitual violation which is a felony, there is no trial, just a hearing. There is no punishment, just correction of status, deportation.

If Americans are really serious about stopping illegal immigration, violation of immigration laws need to be considered a criminal offense, immigration court needs to be criminal court, and the loopholes in the law need to be closed. However, with that said, I don't think most American really want strict immigration laws and the inevitable human tragedies that would entail.

Flopper, that report had a summary at the end explaining how they calculated totals. In great detail.

If you have an Anchor baby (millions do) they are not dying on the streets. They are eating, living, driving around. Henceforth, benefits are give to the Anchor baby. Funneled through the parents. Do you think they are going to let Anchor babies die on the streets because Mom and Dad can't pay $2K/mo rent in LA? come on. PLEASE! Do you think if Senior Gomez needs an operation.......with an Anchor baby. come on people. Quit drinking the kool-aid so easily.

Last edited:
I am currently in the process of hiring someone. We flew six people in for an interview. Five of them weren't born in the United States.

I had dinner with nine people at an industry conference a few weeks ago. Eight of us were born outside of the United States.

This country attracts the best and brightest from around the world and benefits from it.
Thank for admitting that you are willfully hurting your country. I'd say prosecute you.

Flopper, that report had a summary at the end explaining how they calculated totals. In great detail.

If you have an Anchor baby (millions do) they are not dying on the streets. They are eating, living, driving around. Henceforth, benefits are give to the Anchor baby. Funneled through the parents. Do you think they are going to let Anchor babies die on the streets because Mom and Dad can't pay $2K/mo rent in LA? come on. PLEASE! Do you think if Senior Gomez needs an operation.......with an Anchor baby. come on people. Quit drinking the kool-aid so easily.
I'm not sure what report you are referring to since you're not replying to a posting.

Forum List

Back