The Imaginary Greatness of FDR

When did the GD end due to FDR's policies? "Fixed," not floated.

1933. it started anew in 1938 and was quickly ended again. The problem is the perception in the general public of a decade long event. It wasn't. It was four distinct events: a crash, a recovery, a recession and another recovery.

You described Government intervention and at the very end cited the 37/38 crash... It crashed because the privet sector was relatively small because near all the growth under FDR was Government jobs or in the some of the privet sectors unique situation of being falsely affected by Government, IE agriculture, meaning without Governement money/rules these markets that “grew” would crash as well.

No, that's not what I said. The market contracted in 37/8 because money was removed from the system. That removal hurt the private sector AND the public sector and caused a brief retraction. It wasn't 1930 all over again. It was over and growth returned within a couple quarters instead of four years. The New Deal didn't claim to end the business cycle.

So, when was the US and the economy able to take care of itself? Obviously not by 1937/38... So when?
You'd have to explain what you mean by "taking care of itself."

I know there were ups and down in the Great depression.

Here again all you did was show that without massive money being dumped into the economy by Government we would have a "crash." "Crash" only means that things got worse in the economy, not another depression starting, sorry.

The privet sector in the US was very much mixed with Government, just like we see today with bailouts... It's not really Government but it's not really privet.

"Take care of itself," as in does not depend on Government money. Your version of a privet sector is false, it was dependent on Government money and even regulations (destroy their competition, price fixing.)

The argument that I have heard isn't that government spending kept the unemployment rate higher. The argument that I have heard is that NIRA kept the unemployment rate higher. Its pretty silly to argue that government borrowing and spending in an economy with massive excess capacity increases unemployment.

Actually it is not only not silly, it is spot on. Gov't competing with private enterprise for employees means an artificially high price on such labor.
The Obama Administration has gone even further: they compete by paying people not to work through infinite unemployment benefits.

Here again all you did was show that without massive money being dumped into the economy by Government we would have a "crash." "Crash" only means that things got worse in the economy, not another depression starting, sorry.

It wasn't just money being dumped - it was money being removed from the economy. Shrinking the money supply will almost always cause a recession. As Milton and others demonstrated, failure to pour money into the economy in the early parts of 1930 and 31 is part of what made the fall so steep.

The privet sector in the US was very much mixed with Government, just like we see today with bailouts... It's not really Government but it's not really privet.

Well then with that you'd have to say there's no such thing as private sector growth, period. iT's all just government.

I don't believe that to be the case. The private sector can- and has - and did in the 1930's - experience autonomous economic growth.

The argument that I have heard isn't that government spending kept the unemployment rate higher. The argument that I have heard is that NIRA kept the unemployment rate higher. Its pretty silly to argue that government borrowing and spending in an economy with massive excess capacity increases unemployment.

Actually it is not only not silly, it is spot on. Gov't competing with private enterprise for employees means an artificially high price on such labor.

What the fuck? The government wasn't competing with the private sector for labor in 1933, Rabbi.

It wasn't just money being dumped - it was money being removed from the economy. Shrinking the money supply will almost always cause a recession. As Milton and others demonstrated, failure to pour money into the economy in the early parts of 1930 and 31 is part of what made the fall so steep.

Well then with that you'd have to say there's no such thing as private sector growth, period. iT's all just government.

I don't believe that to be the case. The private sector can- and has - and did in the 1930's - experience autonomous economic growth.

Well, I'd rather live under Government like Harding and Coolidge than Hoover/FDR...

I had a feeling you would say there is no such things as a privet sector because there will always be Government. Of course if that's the case then Government is to blame for everything, even the Great Depression...

Some like to blame Harding/Coolidge for the GD, I think the GD was un-avoidable, no matter who was in office, it was a lesion that needed to be learned, then properly regulated. The bank crash was bound to happen before someone would really think to put the regulations in place.

People like RW and TM want to blame Coolidge as if he deregulated banks, as far as I know that was not the case and that's why I believe it was unavoidable no matter who would have been president.

People like RW and TM then take something and apply it to the Governing style of Coolidge and Harding and try and make FDR out to be a God, that is where I have issue. At FDR's best the economy was crap, he never had anything under control. At Harding/Coolidge’s best the economy was at a US historic best… It seems clear to me that one way works and the other never did.

Anyways you are lucky. Bush was Hoover to Obama who is like FDR. You will get your wish in that they can spend spend spend… I do hope for your sake you are in a Government job or in an area with the privet sector that Obama wants to help fund or you might find yourself shit outa luck.

What the fuck? The government wasn't competing with the private sector for labor in 1933, Rabbi.

FDR had policies that made companies pay wages that they simply could not, so yes, they were able to steal employees from companies that did not integrate themselves with Government, if they even had that opportunity.

If you need skilled workers that have the skills YOU need, but you can’t pay them because wages are artificially high in that particular market, what do you think happens?

State and Treasury, the Army and FDR's assistant all reported to Moscow, what are the odds that they had people at the Fed too?

No, I'm not kidding. I don't know how such supposed smart people at the Fed apparently did everything humanly possible to sabotage the economy under Hoover

The Obama Administration has gone even further: they compete by paying people not to work through infinite unemployment benefits.

It doesn't compete with private industry when there is no demand.

FDR was in collusion with world Jewry in agitating the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor, just as Bush was in collusion with them in the WTC attacks and LBJ was in collusion with them in the USS Liberty holocaust.

There is a demand for products just not demand enough for people to pay what the Government wants you to pay for products.

You can't have the Government running around bailing companies out so that prices don't fall (like they should haha) and then say there is no demand... There is no demand because prices are to high, it's not a hard concept to grasp really.

If prices are artificially high then people don't buy... If people don't buy then companies have no need for more employees... That is why a recession is not necessarily a bad thing, we find real worth in the products and services out there, unless of course you have a KING running around telling people what they have to pay for goods and services, like FDR and now Obama...

What would have happened if the banks went under… I’m sure it’s very complex but I have a feeling investors would have had to make a choice… Make loans affordable on a monthly basis or lose ALL of their investment… Gee, I wonder what option they would have taken… It ain’t no thang, Obama took YOUR money and gave it to the Banks HA HA HA HA….

FDR had policies that made companies pay wages that they simply could not, so yes, they were able to steal employees from companies that did not integrate themselves with Government, if they even had that opportunity.

No he didn't. We're talking about New Deal 1 here, the spark of the fastest period of peacetime growth in history.

No he didn't. We're talking about New Deal 1 here, the spark of the fastest period of peacetime growth in history.

Haha regardless of what time we are talking about what does it matter? It's like taking a crap when you're IN a pool, how can you miss? The void was so big that dumping money into the economy of course you will see "growth." FDR’s growth did slow down and means NOTHING because it's mainly Government growth, unsustainable growth.

Again, why not just hand every American 10,000 a week every week for a year… You will see growth that would make FDR look like a child, up until either people realized it was unsustainable and going to crash or until it just crashed.

Please, listen to your logic, it’s freaking me the fuck out…

Now please answer the question. When did FDR’s policies end the Great depression? Point at it, give us a link. I don’t care when the GD ended, I wana see proof that FDR’s policies did end it. This is of course where you and everyone else that supports FDR comes up short.

In 1920 we had a depression but it was fixed, of course I can prove it and show how and when it was done and STILL people talk shit, why don't you guys need any proof?

I keep seeing you toss in “record peace time growth” as well, like in any way that matters hahaha. What if Harding and Coolidge got un-employment under 1%, shrunk Government to match taxes and let people have more freedom to make or break themselves, Oh, they did… Then what if they dumped billions into the economy? OMG, Harding and Coolidge would have been so uber liberal cool… They could have made 0% unemployment!!!

Instead they hold the record for lowest un-employment without massive Government intervention… Why would I give a shit about some fool like FDR having record growth when it hardly beats Harding/Coolidge’s growth? Maybe it’s because one had to spend themselves into oblivion and the other didn’t?

There is a demand for products just not demand enough for people to pay what the Government wants you to pay for products.

You can't have the Government running around bailing companies out so that prices don't fall (like they should haha) and then say there is no demand... There is no demand because prices are to high, it's not a hard concept to grasp really.

If prices are artificially high then people don't buy... If people don't buy then companies have no need for more employees... That is why a recession is not necessarily a bad thing, we find real worth in the products and services out there, unless of course you have a KING running around telling people what they have to pay for goods and services, like FDR and now Obama...

What would have happened if the banks went under… I’m sure it’s very complex but I have a feeling investors would have had to make a choice… Make loans affordable on a monthly basis or lose ALL of their investment… Gee, I wonder what option they would have taken… It ain’t no thang, Obama took YOUR money and gave it to the Banks HA HA HA HA….

I hate hate hate hate hate bailing banks out. And Americans should be furious at what happened. But during the Depression, bank runs occurred whether or not banks were sound. In a properly functioning market, sound banks should survive and the weakest banks should fail. However, during the Depression, it was found that banks that were strong failed anyways because people panicked and pulled their money out regardless of an institution's financial soundness. Sometimes markets fail and catastrophe can follow. That is why the government bailed out the financial system. Many parts of the market literally stopped working.

Government spending does not create unemployment. You can make the argument that government spending that leads to default creates unemployment, that's true. But when there is massive excess capacity and monetary velocity has collapsed, it will not create unemployment.

I hate hate hate hate hate bailing banks out. And Americans should be furious at what happened. But during the Depression, bank runs occurred whether or not banks were sound. In a properly functioning market, sound banks should survive and the weakest banks should fail. However, during the Depression, it was found that banks that were strong failed anyways because people panicked and pulled their money out regardless of an institution's financial soundness. Sometimes markets fail and catastrophe can follow. That is why the government bailed out the financial system. Many parts of the market literally stopped working.

Government spending does not create unemployment. You can make the argument that government spending that leads to default creates unemployment, that's true. But when there is massive excess capacity and monetary velocity has collapsed, it will not create unemployment.

Well at least we agree on the current Bank bail outs.

I'm not saying the run on the Banks in 1930 was a good thing, I understand why it happened. Government should have done something but then backed out. Instead they gave "staying out of the way" a very short time to work then 12-15 years of Massive Government intervention...

It's like telling someone to run a mile and giving them 30 seconds... Then when you let "your guy" run the mile they get 20+ hours and a "job well done!" when they fall apart at the half way mark.

Harding got us out of a Depression in just over a year... Hoover was in no way Harding and near instantly started the policie of Government>All.

Still, no one alive can tell us when the Great Depression ended because of FDR's policies... Yet they will defend them to their death.

Haha regardless of what time we are talking about what does it matter? It's like taking a crap when you're IN a pool, how can you miss? The void was so big that dumping money into the economy of course you will see "growth." FDR’s growth did slow down and means NOTHING because it's mainly Government growth, unsustainable growth.

Again, why not just hand every American 10,000 a week every week for a year… You will see growth that would make FDR look like a child, up until either people realized it was unsustainable and going to crash or until it just crashed.

Please, listen to your logic, it’s freaking me the fuck out…

Now please answer the question. When did FDR’s policies end the Great depression? Point at it, give us a link. I don’t care when the GD ended, I wana see proof that FDR’s policies did end it. This is of course where you and everyone else that supports FDR comes up short.

In 1920 we had a depression but it was fixed, of course I can prove it and show how and when it was done and STILL people talk shit, why don't you guys need any proof?

Milton Friedman once wrote that the creation of the FDIC was instrumental in ending the Great Depression. I believe that is in his book, A Monetary History of the United States.

As time went by, despite his initial misgivings, FDR would champion the merits of deposit insurance, calling it one of "the new instruments of social justice" that America had forged "to overcome the threats to economic democracy in our land."

Even some of the strongest free market conservatives came to support it. The economist Milton Friedman once called the FDIC the "single most important structural change" in the economy since the Civil War.

FDIC: Speeches & Testimony - 6/17/2008

There is a lot of empirical evidence that leaving the gold standard also contributed to the end of the Depression.

Perhaps the most fascinating discovery arising from researchers' broader international focus is that the extent to which a country adhered to the gold standard and the severity of its depression were closely linked. In particular, the longer that a country remained committed to gold, the deeper its depression and the later its recovery (Choudhri and Kochin, 1980; Eichengreen and Sachs, 1985).

The willingness or ability of countries to remain on the gold standard despite the adverse developments of the 1930s varied quite a bit. A few countries did not join the gold standard system at all; these included Spain (which was embroiled in domestic political upheaval, eventually leading to civil war) and China (which used a silver monetary standard rather than a gold standard). A number of countries adopted the gold standard in the 1920s but left or were forced off gold relatively early, typically in 1931. Countries in this category included Great Britain, Japan, and several Scandinavian countries. Some countries, such as Italy and the United States, remained on the gold standard into 1932 or 1933. And a few diehards, notably the so-called gold bloc, led by France and including Poland, Belgium, and Switzerland, remained on gold into 1935 or 1936.

If declines in the money supply induced by adherence to the gold standard were a principal reason for economic depression, then countries leaving gold earlier should have been able to avoid the worst of the Depression and begin an earlier process of recovery. The evidence strongly supports this implication. For example, Great Britain and Scandinavia, which left the gold standard in 1931, recovered much earlier than France and Belgium, which stubbornly remained on gold. As Friedman and Schwartz noted in their book, countries such as China--which used a silver standard rather than a gold standard--avoided the Depression almost entirely. The finding that the time at which a country left the gold standard is the key determinant of the severity of its depression and the timing of its recovery has been shown to hold for literally dozens of countries, including developing countries. This intriguing result not only provides additional evidence for the importance of monetary factors in the Depression, it also explains why the timing of recovery from the Depression differed across countries.

FRB: Speech, Bernanke--Money, Gold, and the Great Depression --March 2, 2004

Both of those were New Deal policies.

The recession of 1920 was very different from the Great Depression. The cause of the the recessions in 1918 and 1920 was because demand from the government fell. Profits from government demand arising from the war in 1916 were the highest ever, and would not be surpassed until the 1950s. It was a typical supply/demand boom/bust. The Depression was much different. It was a balance sheet recession caused by the increase in debt, which inflated asset values, the collapsed, and was exacerbated by bad policy, particularly monetary policy.

Last edited:
Haha regardless of what time we are talking about what does it matter?

It matters because one can not blame policies implemented in 1936 for the employment situation in 1933.

The void was so big that dumping money into the economy of course you will see "growth." FDR’s growth did slow down and means NOTHING because it's mainly Government growth, unsustainable growth.

You keep repeating that, but it's just not true. I even gave you a link to the components of growth.

I don't know where you ever got that idea, but you'd see no such thing.
Please, listen to your logic, it’s freaking me the fuck out

I'm simply stating facts. your emotional instability is not my concern.

Now please answer the question. When did FDR’s policies end the Great depression? Point at it, give us a link.

I don’t care when the GD ended, I wana see proof that FDR’s policies did end it. This is of course where you and everyone else that supports FDR comes up short.
I already explained that...numerous times. Your inability to understand, or your willful ignorance, is not my concern. His policies brought stability to the financial system, creating an avenue for savings to be converted into investment. Some of them also increased effective demand during a period of 50% cap utilization.

In 1920 we had the end of a World War and we financed the rebuilding of Europe.

YOu're right about one thing, you can certainly talk a whole lot of shit. It's stupid shit, but it's shit.

I keep seeing you toss in “record peace time growth” as well, like in any way that matters hahaha. What if Harding and Coolidge got un-employment under 1%, shrunk Government to match taxes and let people have more freedom to make or break themselves, Oh, they did…

Lol...No they didn't. Who was calculating that unemployment rate?

if only FDR had a Europe to rebuild! If only we'd started a war or something....

Forum List

Back