The hype and misunderstanding of AI

What I want from AI is a very limited set of skills.

Cherry_2000_001.jpg
My wife is still hot but maybe when we're elderly she will let me dabble in some of those uh, Robotics products.
The best we can hope for in that area now is blow up dolls........ Or paid "services"....... :lol:
Ringel!!!!

You need to step your googlage up bro. I'm not gunna link it, lol...but there's ALREADY some...uh, FAR BEYOND blow up dolls out there.

AND NO I DONT HAVE ONEEEEEEEE

Sentient to me means conscience even Koch says that will never happen, it can simulate but not be so I did not contradict myself. I said I knew the moral and ethical questions exist.
We don't even know what conscience is & barely understand how it works, let alone do we know whether or not it's achievable through technology. & That's one guy postulating.

So what, is my take. I'm pretty sure we can do damn near anything we think of. The Universe proves stranger and stranger, I'm super optimistic.
Well I'm part of the school that agrees with his postulations, I don't think we can ever create a sentient (self aware) construct. We can create mimics but that's as far as we can go. To me AGI in it's true form is more akin to Shelley's Frankenstein, a story, a fiction.
Thats a weird leap for me to make...its mere postulating and at best, the honest approach seems to be agnosticism.

We do not know enough.

We dont know much about consciousness, therefore its limits or constraints.

We dont know the technological limitations to any practical extent...

We are also not sure, exactly, how far along the research is because there are literally dozens of researchers keeping their progress quiet via legal contracts.
And that's why there's always differing schools of thought, people see things differently. Personally I'd be more concerned about the moral and ethical ramifications of cloning than AGI which in a sense is also mimicking (copying) not creating new sentient life.
Cloning is a good topic, but honestly by the time they're able to clone what matters...i.e. the actual brain with its thoughts and memories in tact...we will probably already have agi, if we're ever going to have it.

But on that, too I'm optimistic. I've seen a memory printed onto a piece of paper. Biology meets technology.

Really, I fuck around with Religious folks because I do think that it's mostly all bullshit - - - but when things align as they do, it keeps my mind wide open.
What we can accomplish is amazing, like I said we can eventually make machines that mimic humans but I don't believe we can ever give those machines consciousness/self awareness. Though it would be kinda cool to have SARAH as a house........

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
What I want from AI is a very limited set of skills.

Cherry_2000_001.jpg
My wife is still hot but maybe when we're elderly she will let me dabble in some of those uh, Robotics products.
The best we can hope for in that area now is blow up dolls........ Or paid "services"....... :lol:

My initial prototype was less than successful... but I continue to tinker on.

Robotime-Creative-DIY-3D-Steampunk-Robot-Wooden-Puzzle-Game-Assembly-Music-Box-Toy-Gift-for-Children.jpg
SHES A LIL CLUNKY BUT SHE COULD GET IT IN THE POOPER TBH

One of the existential problems for our race, humans, is that we have doubts and questions about where we came from and what purpose life has, if any. AI will never have those doubts; it will know it was created, by whom and what for.

One of the existential problems for our race, humans, is that we have doubts and questions about where we came from and what purpose life has, if any. AI will never have those doubts; it will know it was created, by whom and what for.
It wont necessarily know for what.

Then, it could hardly be called intelligent.

Then, it could hardly be called intelligent.
That's not true. The intent of developing AGI is different from the perspective of all different researchers, and so there isn't some universal "what for" that we are creating AGI...for it to even know.

Seriously, for the "I" to mean anything, it would have to 'understand' what the "A" stood for.

Seriously, for the "I" to mean anything, it would have to 'understand' what the "A" stood for.
That makes no sense. Of course it would understand what artificial means...but artificial is not a "purpose." Its an adjective.

Artificial Intelligence often congers up images of Skynet and the Terminator but what is it really based on today's applications.

AI is a buzzword primarily for marketers and the press, AI doesn't even exist yet. What we have is ML, Machine Learning or what some have labeled as "Augmented Intelligence", learning that requires a lot of "tweaking" from human sources to allow the machine to "learn". This allows the machine to learn to accomplish specific tasks without a programmer having to write tons of code.
The Sci-Fi AI is actually referred to as General Intelligence and will be a looooooong time in the future if we ever are able to build it. To put it in perspective;

Teaching computers to learn for themselves is a brilliant shortcut. And like all shortcuts, it involves cutting corners. There’s intelligence in AI systems, if you want to call it that. But it’s not organic intelligence, and it doesn’t play by the same rules humans do. You may as well ask: how clever is a book? What expertise is encoded in a frying pan?
So when you hear AI being touted by marketers and the media realize that it's really ML not AI in the true sense.
The state of AI in 2019

True AI doesn't exist yet...it's augmented intelligence
I was looking into take up a course or two on ML. Its really all about the algorithm.

Google is big on people with ML knowledge and experience.

I think we're a long way away from true AI.

Artificial Intelligence often congers up images of Skynet and the Terminator but what is it really based on today's applications.

AI is a buzzword primarily for marketers and the press, AI doesn't even exist yet. What we have is ML, Machine Learning or what some have labeled as "Augmented Intelligence", learning that requires a lot of "tweaking" from human sources to allow the machine to "learn". This allows the machine to learn to accomplish specific tasks without a programmer having to write tons of code.
The Sci-Fi AI is actually referred to as General Intelligence and will be a looooooong time in the future if we ever are able to build it. To put it in perspective;

Teaching computers to learn for themselves is a brilliant shortcut. And like all shortcuts, it involves cutting corners. There’s intelligence in AI systems, if you want to call it that. But it’s not organic intelligence, and it doesn’t play by the same rules humans do. You may as well ask: how clever is a book? What expertise is encoded in a frying pan?
So when you hear AI being touted by marketers and the media realize that it's really ML not AI in the true sense.
The state of AI in 2019

True AI doesn't exist yet...it's augmented intelligence
I was looking into take up a course or two on ML. Its really all about the algorithm.

Google is big on people with ML knowledge and experience.

I think we're a long way away from true AI.

It could be said we still have far to go in even defining what "true AI" would be. As stated, up to now it is really all algorithms.

Forum List

Back