The Honda Insight

Breakout

Mar 27, 2014
I commute 127 miles everyday to and from work. I had been driving my Z-71 truck and I was spending 180 dollars a week for fuel. I recently purchased a brand new Honda Insight Hybrid. On the sticker it stated 44 MPG highway. I am averaging nearly 50 MPG Highway everyday. Before I purchased this car I did some extensive research and took several test drives, I read all I could find about Hybrids and how they work and which was the best one out there. I came down to three cars, the VW TDI Golf, the Toyota Precis and the Honda Insight. Although the Insight is not Honda's most popular model, and quite frankly it got mediocre write ups and reviews, I found these reviews to be less than truthful. They had said things like excessive road noise at high speed, seats that were less than adequate, and lack luster performance. None of these things have I found to be true. I purchased the EX model with Navigation and upgraded sound system. I find the seats quite comfortable and the seating position near perfect, the car accelerates very well and at 85 miles an hour it is very quite, in fact less noisy than my truck is at that speed. I think it is a better looking car than the other two I was considering and I got a great deal. Thus far, I can find no fault with this car and I am baffled as to why it is not more popular than it seems to be. What is strange is that when I read actual owner reviews nearly all have nothing but great things to say about this car and when I read the magazine reviews this is not the case. I guess reality is in the eye of the beholder. I do not know what the magazine writers of these reviews are comparing this car too. I believe I spent my money wisely and made an excellent choice, I am well pleased with my new little car and I am saving a boat load of cash at the pump. So bottom line, don't believe every thing you read, go and find out for yourself. Trust but verify.

Thus far, the Honda Insight I bought has met every expectation I had, I am most impressed with the fuel economy. Based on my experience thus far I would purchase another Honda automobile as I truly believe I got my money's worth buying this car.

Last edited:
I like it better than the Prius, but unfortunately Honda has pulled it from the market.

We've been looking at the Cadillac ATS but I want a hybrid, so later on in the year we'll be getting a Lincoln MAY hybrid.

You can't go wrong with a Honda. <--- That's the absolute truth and why they are so popular worldwide.

Congrats

To be honest, this is my first Honda automobile. Before I bought this car I knew nothing or very little about Hybrid cars. I do know this, I have never seen a recall on any Honda model, that is not true for any of the other car manufacturers. I think Honda got it right with this car, every car has some kind of improvement that could be made but at the end of the day it comes down to engineering and overall quality. I am very happy with my little car thus far. I was apprehensive at first as this is a very high tech car and the people at Honda are not high pressure and they answered all of my questions. In fact they let me actually drive the car for a whole day before I bought it. I think I made the right choice, and I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a Hybrid to save on fuel costs. The car is nimble, it handles well, it has excellent brakes, and I am still baffled by the reviews I had read in the auto magazines. But you are exactly right, Honda has an excellent reputation and they still make the most popular car on the planet.

Much of what one gets for gas (or equivalent) mileage depends more upon the driver than the vehicle. Much. Not all.

My 2008 Hyundai Sonata with a V6 is by no means a compact. If anything it's slightly overpowered.

But, on commuting runs where there is little to no stop-and-go it regularly delivers 41 MPG. It helps that the speed limit on the roads involved neatly coincides with the optimum for fuel economy for the particular vehicle. When another member of my family makes the same round trip the mileage falls to about 28 per gallon. Same car. Same roads. Same times of day. Different driver.

Biggest fuel waster on any vehicle?

The brakes. If you drive so you rarely need to use them your mileage will increase beyond your dreams.

Forum List

Back