The Gun Control Laws The United States Needs

In order to purchase a firearm, an individual must do the following:

01. Attend three month class on firearms

02. Pass a written test when the class has been completed

03. Achieve at least 95% accuracy during a shooting-range test

04. Pass a Mental Health evaluation at a hospital

05. Pass a background check in which the government digs into their criminal record

06. Pass a background check involving interviews with friends and family

07. Only shotguns and Air Rifles may be purchased, no handguns

08. New magazines can only be purchased by trading in empty ones

09. When a gun owner dies, their relatives must surrender the deceased members firearms

10. Every three years, the individual must pass the above tests and investigations
Sounds good to me. What's an air rifle? Can you hunt with one?

How many hoops do you want to jump through for your First, Fouth and Fifith amendment rights?

How many classes should you have to pay for and take?

How many permits should you get?

No 4th Amendment classes passed with a high enough score? Tough shit. Cops can search your home anytime they want.

No permit for your 8th Amendment rights? Tough shit. While the cops are ransacking your home searching for contraband they can torture you at the same time
We are talking about the Second. I don't see why it was ever put in the Bill of Rights as an "assumed" right. Owning guns? What does that have to do with natural rights or liberty? Guns are a weapon of war, designed specifically and solely to kill. Why did the Founding Fathers set us up as a country perpetually at war by granting a universal "right" to own guns? Now, the FF say it was to keep the militias ready for action. There was no standing army and the FF didn't want one.
The Second Amendment no longer applies because we do now have a gigantic standing army equipped with 100 times more powerful weapons than we civilians can own.

What applies to one right applies to all.

And we are not perpetually at war because civilians own guns.

Our military is not sanctioned to operate on US soil.

And the Constitution clearly states that the people ave the right to keep and bear arms

Don't like it then repeal the second amendment.

And just to remind you; you have a 99.997% chance of not getting murdered by a person with a gun how much closer do you want to get before you feel "safe"?

You can still own a shotgun or Air Rifle if you can pass the tests and pass the background checks. This is not about anyone personally, its about what is best for the country as a whole. We don't want random civilians owning weapons of war so easily. Weapons of war and law enforcement are for the military and police, not civilians.

05. Pass a background check in which the government digs into their criminal record

09. When a gun owner dies, their relatives must surrender the deceased members firearms

10. Every three years, the individual must pass the above tests and investigations

My car wouldn't start. So I replaced the radio, checked the air in the tires, and washed it. I knew it wouldn't fix my car. I knew it wouldn't address the problem.

But I had to do something.
Oh, OP's solution is not window dressing. It would work because it actually DOES address the problem. At least the weapon part. People urging us to also address the motivation of the shooters are also right. It is not just one solution or the other. It is both, and more besides.

IT ONLY ADDRESSES WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE THE GUN PURCHASE AND NOT WHAT THEY WILL DO AFTER,,,

Will, you do have to pass these tests and background checks every three years, so the future to some degree is addressed by that.

My car wouldn't start. So I replaced the radio, checked the air in the tires, and washed it. I knew it wouldn't fix my car. I knew it wouldn't address the problem.

Oh, OP's solution is not window dressing. It would work because it actually DOES address the problem. At least the weapon part. People urging us to also address the motivation of the shooters are also right. It is not just one solution or the other. It is both, and more besides.

IT ONLY ADDRESSES WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE THE GUN PURCHASE AND NOT WHAT THEY WILL DO AFTER,,,

Will, you do have to pass these tests and background checks every three years, so the future to some degree is addressed by that.

no its not,,,

Most – if not all – of these measures would be invalidated by the courts as an undue burden on the Second Amendment right, particularly where handguns are concerned.

There are also potential Fourth, Fifth, and 14th Amendment violations.
It is obvious that the Second Amendment would have to go.

Most – if not all – of these measures would be invalidated by the courts as an undue burden on the Second Amendment right, particularly where handguns are concerned.

non-sense. Civilians can't own most weapons of war that are available to the military today. These are simply further restrictions to take war making weapons away from civilians and make the population safer through these measures. If you really want to own a firearm, the civilian can still eventually legally obtain a shotgun or Air Rifle provided they pass the tests and background checks.

You bed wetters should just move to North Korea. There's no guns allowed in private possession at all.

You might get killed by an anti-aircraft cannon, but what the hell... Is that too big a price to pay for utopia?
You status quo people should really wake up. One day a majority of Americans will be so fed up with gun violence that they will do something like is proposed here. So you should do something now while you still have a say.
Nightly visit to those home of gun grabbers will be inorder.
View attachment 273525
yes indeed but let it happen like you suggested.

Sounds good to me. What's an air rifle? Can you hunt with one?

How many hoops do you want to jump through for your First, Fouth and Fifith amendment rights?

How many classes should you have to pay for and take?

How many permits should you get?

No 4th Amendment classes passed with a high enough score? Tough shit. Cops can search your home anytime they want.

No permit for your 8th Amendment rights? Tough shit. While the cops are ransacking your home searching for contraband they can torture you at the same time

The 2nd amendment allows civilians to own firearms which kill people. Therefor, extra restrictions and test are needed to insure the public is safe from civilians that legally own such weapons. This is not an issue with the other amendments.

People can own thousands of things that can be used to kill people.

Little fact for you

There are an estimated 393 million privately owned firearms in this country.
About 11000 people get murdered by a person who uses a gun

You'll note I didn't say murdered by a gun because a gun cannot murder anyone

so .0027% of privately owned guns are used annually in murders

here's another little fact

.003% of the population are murdered annually by people using guns.

IOW you have a 99.997% chance of not being murdered by a person using a gun in any one year

We need to bring the number of privately owned firearms in the country down to roughly 1 million. The restrictions suggested in the first post should eventually achieve that goal.

No we don't. As I have already told you less than .0027% of privately owned firearms are ever used to commit murder

All we need to do if get guns away from people who are already legally prohibited from owning them

Lots of mass shootings occur with those legally owning firearms. The civilian population is already restricted from owning most weapons that the United States Military has in its inventory. This is simply a further restriction to bring down the number of deaths by firearms per year as well as reduce the number of mass shootings. Civilians don't need any firearms, but if they can pass the test and background checks, they may own a shot gun or an Air Rifle. That is safe and sensible Gun Control that will work well for the entire country.

The 2nd amendment allows civilians to own firearms which kill people. Therefor, extra restrictions and test are needed to insure the public is safe from civilians that legally own such weapons. This is not an issue with the other amendments.

4 fatally injured in stabbing spree in Southern California, suspect nabbed

https://www.foxnews.com/us/southern-california-suspect-kills-4-injures-2-in-series-of-stabbings-robberies

oops....looks like we need restrictions for knives too.
And while we're at it....you know cars and trucks are gonna be used if guns are restricted sooooo

Imagine how many people he could have killed with an AR-15.

Ok....
Soooooo you don't care if a mother and child get stabbed to death?
You don't care if a "few" people die.....

You ONLY care if the same number of people are shot.....with a gun.......mmmmm......very interesting

Where do you draw the line? If your allowed to own more than a shotgun or Air Rifle, where do you draw the line? Do you think people should own nuclear weapons?

This is what makes sense for civilians to own. For the average Joe on the street to own, if they can pass the tests and background checks. It will save lives. Eventually, such laws will become normal in the United States. The majority of the population will demand it.

Don't be a fucking idiot.

There is absolutely no analogy that can be used comparing a firearm to a nuclear bomb

Ok, Firearm to an M-60 Machine Gun. Again, most weapons in the inventory of the United States military are not allowed to be owned by civilians. This is simply tightening the restrictions a bit. Only Shotguns and Air Rifles for civilians provided they are able to pass the tests and background checks.

Why on Earth would anyone go through all of that crap to be told all they can own is a shotgun or an air rifle?

Your whole concept is ridiculous and unconstitutional but this struck me as the most outlandish part of the whole thing (along with the 95% accuracy test). - which LEOs and most military couldn’t even pass)

The idea is to restrict and limit firearm use among civilians. You don't want to give weapons of mass destruction to just anyone. So, yes, having to get a 95% accuracy on the test is a good way to achieve that. Such an accurate shooter is less likely to cause an accident.
This would likely be invalidated by the courts akin to literacy tests as a prerequisite to vote were invalidated.

It would also fail to pass Constitutional muster because the measure is not narrowly tailored enough when seeking to regulate a fundamental right, regardless the level of judicial review.

no its not,,,

I did not say entirely addressed, but to some degree it is addressed.

no its not,,,

I did not say entirely addressed, but to some degree it is addressed.

no it doesnt,,,

The OP's ideas are a pipe dream. Nothing in that list would do anything to prevent criminals, street thugs, drug dealers, and gang-bangers from obtaining firearms.

But nice try.

Actually I don't think it does. After all, Civilians are currently now allowed to own the vast majority of types of weapons that the United States military has in its inventory. So, this is simply tightening the current restrictions a little bit with respect to that fact.

The 2nd amendment would remain allowing Civilians to own Shotguns or Air Rifles provided they pass certain tests and background checks.

Why on Earth would anyone go through all of that crap to be told all they can own is a shotgun or an air rifle?

Your whole concept is ridiculous and unconstitutional but this struck me as the most outlandish part of the whole thing (along with the 95% accuracy test). - which LEOs and most military couldn’t even pass)

The idea is to restrict and limit firearm use among civilians. You don't want to give weapons of mass destruction to just anyone. So, yes, having to get a 95% accuracy on the test is a good way to achieve that. Such an accurate shooter is less likely to cause an accident.
This would likely be invalidated by the courts akin to literacy tests as a prerequisite to vote were invalidated.

It would also fail to pass Constitutional muster because the measure is not narrowly tailored enough when seeking to regulate a fundamental right, regardless the level of judicial review.

Non-sense. Civilians are already restricted from owning the vast majority of weapons that are in the inventory of the United States military. This is simply tightening those same restrictions.

Civilians would still be able to purchase Shotguns or Air Rifles provided they pass certain tests and background checks.

What a pantsload of crap.

Actually I don't think it does. After all, Civilians are currently now allowed to own the vast majority of types of weapons that the United States military has in its inventory. So, this is simply tightening the current restrictions a little bit with respect to that fact.

The 2nd amendment would remain allowing Civilians to own Shotguns or Air Rifles provided they pass certain tests and background checks.

That's idiotic. The Second Amendment was never about "shotguns and air rifles."

:laughing0301:

Sorry, but the Constitution says otherwise.
The 2nd Amendment is freely infringed, just look at age restrictions, no sales to felon, no sales of nukes... But the good thing is, you can read, so there's hope for you yet. :biggrin:
Twit. Do you realize that if I had around $250,000 of disposable income, and if I was so inclined, I could buy a WORKING tank with 10 rounds of WORKING ammunition?
The 2nd amendment may be infringed, but only because libs have snuck those infringements through.
In Illinois, you had to pay for an FOID (Firearm Owners ID). m That was recently struck down. You do not have to pay the gubment to own a forearm.
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Do you know any civilians that own working tanks?
It’s appropriate to infer that your proposed measures apply to all firearms, including handguns – where the Supreme Court has designated handguns to be comprehensively immune from most government regulation, unlike long guns.

Because your proposed measures are not limited to weapons not entitled to Constitutional protections – weapons considered to be dangerous and unusual, such as tanks and machine guns – the courts would strike down your proposed measures as being in violation of the Second Amendment.

The OP's ideas are a pipe dream. Nothing in that list would do anything to prevent criminals, street thugs, drug dealers, and gang-bangers from obtaining firearms.

But nice try.

Over time, the circulation of such weapons would be reduced among the population and be harder to obtain. This will make Police work against such criminals easier and safer. The goal is to reduce firearm deaths and mass shootings. It would definitely succeed in doing that. There will always be individual criminal circumstances that may not be prevented. But that is not a reason to pass common sense gun control laws that overall will make the population safer.

That's idiotic. The Second Amendment was never about "shotguns and air rifles."

:laughing0301:

Well, we could go back to late 18th century muskets being the only thing civilians are allowed to own legally. The overwhelming majority of weapons that the United States military has in its inventory are not allowed to be owned by civilians. This is simply tightening those same restrictions a little more.

You're a fucking idiot. How dare you restrict my constitutional rights. Go fuck yourself. I have guns and I am never going to do any of that crap. Fucking moron

Forum List

Back