The great plastic/microchip shortage...................

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
First..........a bit of background.................

My Grandparents (who I lived with during a great deal of my growing up after my mother died when I was 8), had always told me to be a cash and carry type person. If I didn't have enough money to buy it outright, or make payments to the person I was buying from, to save money and wait to purchase it because if I couldn't pay for it outright, I didn't need it. Cash and carry was pretty much the system they operated on, and taught me to do the same. And, for the most part, that's how I've lived my life.

Fast forward to now...............

I recently decided that I wanted to buy a house, so I contacted the VA to see about my guaranteed home loan. The person who I was talking to said they would be more than happy to help me out, but for one problem........my credit score was zero. There was nothing in my file about ever having had credit (like I said, cash and carry was how I lived almost all of my life), and since I had no credit history, I had to establish one. So, I applied for a credit card through my credit union (had been with them for over 30 years), got approved, and was told I'd be getting a credit card in the mail in 7-10 days. After that period had gone by, I called them back and asked about the credit card, and was told that it was still in production, to call back in another week or so if I hadn't received it by then.

Now? Its' been almost a month and a half, and still no card. I called them today and asked why it was taking so long, and was told the most interesting thing. Seems that there is a shortage of plastic and microchips to make the cards. They then told me that they would call me back in a few days to check if I had my card yet, but if I didn't, they were going to see if there was some other way they could expedite getting it to me, as, like I said, there is currently a shortage of materials to make them.

I was curious about what they told me, and it seems that it's true! Looked it up on the Google machine after I'd talked to them, and yes, there IS a shortage of materials to make credit and debit cards because of a microchip/plastic shortage right now!

So, just thought that I'd let other members know that if you are looking to get another credit card, or replace a credit/debit card, there may be a bit of a wait, as there is currently a shortage of the materials to make them.

Fortunately, because I've been a member of my credit union since 1993, they are going to see what kind of measures they can take to try to expedite and get my credit card to me. I now see that I kinda need it so I can start building a credit history, because I really want to buy a home in the near future, and need it to do so.

First credit card I've ever had, and I'm at the ripe old age of 58. Go figure! Cash and carry might be a good policy in general, but apparently, in order to do major things nowadays, having a good credit history is crucial. Shouldn't have much trouble building one though, as I've never had anything repossessed or had any of my bills cut off for not making timely payments. But boy! What a pain this is turning out to be!

I had to wait seven months when one card was bought out by another bank that was last spring into fall.

I had to wait seven months when one card was bought out by another bank that was last spring into fall.

I hope like crazy that I don't have to wait almost half a year to get mine! From what I've heard, it takes around 6 months of using credit to get a decent score established, and the longer I wait, the longer it takes for me to start, and the longer it will be before I can get a house!

I love your grandparents ... but they may not have instructed you well in personal finance ... some credit is a good thing ... CapitalOne was a good entry-level bank, just a card with a $500 limit, put a charge on it and make payments ...

After a few years of on-time and in-full payments, you can borrow larger amounts ... like for a car ... or house ... or business ... if you borrow at 3%, and invest at 6%, you make money ...

I love your grandparents ... but they may not have instructed you well in personal finance ... some credit is a good thing ... CapitalOne was a good entry-level bank, just a card with a $500 limit, put a charge on it and make payments ...

After a few years of on-time and in-full payments, you can borrow larger amounts ... like for a car ... or house ... or business ... if you borrow at 3%, and invest at 6%, you make money ...

Pretty much what my plan is when I get my card. For the big things (rent), I'm gonna pay cash from my bank account. For the little things (groceries, eating out, etc.), I'm gonna use my credit card up to it's limit and pay it off every month.

The concept that to be successful people have to take on debt so they can take on more debt had to have been thought up by the most evil men in history.

Last edited:
I hope like crazy that I don't have to wait almost half a year to get mine! From what I've heard, it takes around 6 months of using credit to get a decent score established, and the longer I wait, the longer it takes for me to start, and the longer it will be before I can get a house!
They then will tell you not to use it to maintain a low balance for a better credit score.

They then will tell you not to use it to maintain a low balance for a better credit score.

For the foreseeable future, I'm gonna max it out every month, and pay it off at the end of every month (only 500 limit), so I can show that I can handle that amount in the hopes of having them increase it. When they finally do increase it (should take around 6 months from what I've heard from the bank), I'll see if my score qualifies me for the VA home loan program (guaranteed if you served honorably, and I'm retired). They told me I only need a score of 620 to meet the requirements for a VA loan.

For the foreseeable future, I'm gonna max it out every month, and pay it off at the end of every month (only 500 limit), so I can show that I can handle that amount in the hopes of having them increase it. When they finally do increase it (should take around 6 months from what I've heard from the bank), I'll see if my score qualifies me for the VA home loan program (guaranteed if you served honorably, and I'm retired). They told me I only need a score of 620 to meet the requirements for a VA loan.
You also have to serve the time on your contract with the military I have heard, I have never had a VA loan.

You also have to serve the time on your contract with the military I have heard, I have never had a VA loan.

I'm retired from the Navy with a pension, and was transferred to the Fleet Reserve a few years back. I've met all contract requirements that a person could possibly have. Reason I'm going with the VA is because I qualify (other than credit score), and they offer very good rates with no money down and no closing costs.

First..........a bit of background.................

My Grandparents (who I lived with during a great deal of my growing up after my mother died when I was 8), had always told me to be a cash and carry type person. If I didn't have enough money to buy it outright, or make payments to the person I was buying from, to save money and wait to purchase it because if I couldn't pay for it outright, I didn't need it. Cash and carry was pretty much the system they operated on, and taught me to do the same. And, for the most part, that's how I've lived my life.

Fast forward to now...............

I recently decided that I wanted to buy a house, so I contacted the VA to see about my guaranteed home loan. The person who I was talking to said they would be more than happy to help me out, but for one problem........my credit score was zero. There was nothing in my file about ever having had credit (like I said, cash and carry was how I lived almost all of my life), and since I had no credit history, I had to establish one. So, I applied for a credit card through my credit union (had been with them for over 30 years), got approved, and was told I'd be getting a credit card in the mail in 7-10 days. After that period had gone by, I called them back and asked about the credit card, and was told that it was still in production, to call back in another week or so if I hadn't received it by then.

Now? Its' been almost a month and a half, and still no card. I called them today and asked why it was taking so long, and was told the most interesting thing. Seems that there is a shortage of plastic and microchips to make the cards. They then told me that they would call me back in a few days to check if I had my card yet, but if I didn't, they were going to see if there was some other way they could expedite getting it to me, as, like I said, there is currently a shortage of materials to make them.

I was curious about what they told me, and it seems that it's true! Looked it up on the Google machine after I'd talked to them, and yes, there IS a shortage of materials to make credit and debit cards because of a microchip/plastic shortage right now!

So, just thought that I'd let other members know that if you are looking to get another credit card, or replace a credit/debit card, there may be a bit of a wait, as there is currently a shortage of the materials to make them.

Fortunately, because I've been a member of my credit union since 1993, they are going to see what kind of measures they can take to try to expedite and get my credit card to me. I now see that I kinda need it so I can start building a credit history, because I really want to buy a home in the near future, and need it to do so.

First credit card I've ever had, and I'm at the ripe old age of 58. Go figure! Cash and carry might be a good policy in general, but apparently, in order to do major things nowadays, having a good credit history is crucial. Shouldn't have much trouble building one though, as I've never had anything repossessed or had any of my bills cut off for not making timely payments. But boy! What a pain this is turning out to be!
Try Apple Pay if you have an iPhone.
If you do, ask your card provider for the card's info and you can use Apple Pay to build up a credit score.

I'm retired from the Navy with a pension, and was transferred to the Fleet Reserve a few years back. I've met all contract requirements that a person could possibly have. Reason I'm going with the VA is because I qualify (other than credit score), and they offer very good rates with no money down and no closing costs.
They do offer deals like the USDA/FMHA homes they used to sell forty years ago.

If I didn't have enough money to buy it outright, or make payments to the person I was buying from, to save money and wait to purchase it because if I couldn't pay for it outright, I didn't need it. Cash and carry was pretty much the system they operated on, and taught me to do the same. And, for the most part, that's how I've lived my life.
I was basically like you and saved up money to pay cash for anything I wanted to buy. I didn't want to make payments and pay interest to a bank.
But a few years ago I wanted to fly to another state and rent a car when I arrived. Come to find out nether the airline or the car rental would accept cash. It was credit card only, even to book the flight or reserve a rental car.
So I was forced to get a credit card from the bank I've been using for years. Every once in a while I'll use the card to buy something and then pay it off within 30 days before any interest kicks in. Just for a backup, I got a credit card from another bank and very rarely use it.
Amazingly, my credit score is now like 830+

I was basically like you and saved up money to pay cash for anything I wanted to buy. I didn't want to make payments and pay interest to a bank.
But a few years ago I wanted to fly to another state and rent a car when I arrived. Come to find out nether the airline or the car rental would accept cash. It was credit card only, even to book the flight or reserve a rental car.
So I was forced to get a credit card from the bank I've been using for years. Every once in a while I'll use the card to buy something and then pay it off within 30 days before any interest kicks in. Just for a backup, I got a credit card from another bank and very rarely use it.
Amazingly, my credit score is now like 830+
I use my Capital One for air miles and I pay it about 3 times a week and my credit score is also through the roof.

Try Apple Pay if you have an iPhone.
If you do, ask your card provider for the card's info and you can use Apple Pay to build up a credit score.

Nope. Got an Android. I could probably use Google pay, but I'm kinda leery of using my phone to pay for stuff, because that would mean it has direct access to my bank account and my cash.

Nope. Got an Android. I could probably use Google pay, but I'm kinda leery of using my phone to pay for stuff, because that would mean it has direct access to my bank account and my cash.
The credit company, upon request, will always send your phone a unique code to ensure it's you.

The concept that to be successful people have to take on debt so they can take on more debt had to have been thought up by the most evil men in history.

I thought that myself for much of my life. I mean, if you've been able to meet all your bills with no repo's or having services cut off, why should you have to get a credit card? Repo's and not paying your bills for some reason ARE reported to the credit agencies, but making payments on time and keeping your utilities current ISN'T. Weird.

I also find it very strange that to GET credit, you need to somehow prove that you don't need it. I wouldn't be asking for credit if I didn't need it because I'd have the cash to pay for whatever it was that I wanted.

But, these are the times we live in now, and I've finally gotten a credit card at the ripe old age of 58 because I want to buy a home.

I thought that myself for much of my life. I mean, if you've been able to meet all your bills with no repo's or having services cut off, why should you have to get a credit card? Repo's and not paying your bills for some reason ARE reported to the credit agencies, but making payments on time and keeping your utilities current ISN'T. Weird.

I also find it very strange that to GET credit, you need to somehow prove that you don't need it. I wouldn't be asking for credit if I didn't need it because I'd have the cash to pay for whatever it was that I wanted.

But, these are the times we live in now, and I've finally gotten a credit card at the ripe old age of 58 because I want to buy a home.
The fact is that these credit bureaus know all about you but probably get something in return for forcing you to get a card.

The credit company, upon request, will always send your phone a unique code to ensure it's you.

Looks like now I'm gonna have to do some research and find out about stuff that most people learned about when they were in their 20's and 30's. Like I said, cash and carry is pretty much how I've lived just about all my life. But, something new to learn, which might be interesting.

The fact is that these credit bureaus know all about you but probably get something in return for forcing you to get a card.

Well, my credit union knows pretty much all about my finances for the past 30 plus years since I joined up with them in the mid 90's, and that's one of the reasons I went with them first to get a credit card. All the other places I looked were saying they MIGHT give me one, or that I could give them 500 plus to hold as collateral at 27 percent interest, and to me that was highway robbery on the sidewalk. My CU is giving me a card at only 17 percent (and I don't have to give them money to hold against the card) and no interest happens if I pay it off within 30 days of receiving the bill.

Forum List

Back