The govt. cannot legislate morality

JRK

Feb 27, 2011
To start with there should have been a period of mourning before the MSNBC radicals wanted the govt to take another liberty away from us, but no chance with that bunch.
To start with this event and those like them such as a suicide bomber in the middle east as well as 9-11 are acts of terror
Home or abroad

What the liberal mind cannot grasp is you cannot legislate morality. As I understand it the guns where his mothers?
It is against the law to steal, a fact I am sure no one has mentioned

Simply put there where so many laws in place to prevent this event all ready. Limiting the ability for any of us to legally owning a fire arm is not going to stop any of this

We have over 300 million people in this great country. out of that about 3 of these nut jobs a year snap and as a suicide bomber in the middle east does, kills as many harmless and innocent people as they can.

God please be with these families in there time of need

To start with there should have been a period of mourning before the MSNBC radicals wanted the govt to take another liberty away from us, but no chance with that bunch.
To start with this event and those like them such as a suicide bomber in the middle east as well as 9-11 are acts of terror
Home or abroad

What the liberal mind cannot grasp is you cannot legislate morality. As I understand it the guns where his mothers?

Simply put there where so many laws in place to prevent this event all ready. Limiting the ability for any of us to legally owning a fire arm is not going to stop any of this

We have over 300 million people in this great country. out of that about 3 of these nut jobs a year snap and as a suicide bomber in the middle east does, kills as many harmless and innocent people as they can.

The liberal mind?

Tell it to those who want to ban abortions, same-sex marriage and keep marijuana illegal.

Home or abroad

The liberal mind?

Tell it to those who want to ban abortions, same-sex marriage and keep marijuana illegal.

not sure what that has to do with gun control

Home or abroad

The liberal mind?

"The govt. cannot legislate morality."

Get it?

Government cannot legislated morality, but it CAN legislate punishment for immoral actions. Murder is a case in point.

Cant legislate morality? Then why, today, a Sunday in South Carolina, can I not buy beer, liquor, weed or have an abortion? But, I can buy an AK47.

Government cannot legislated morality, but it CAN legislate punishment for immoral actions. Murder is a case in point.

who said anything about punishment?
I stated that the govt cannot stop people from doing events by taking away more liberties from the good guys and gals
You claim to be the thread killer, yet this is your first with me?

Cant legislate morality? Then why, today, a Sunday in South Carolina, can I not buy beer, liquor, weed or have an abortion? But, I can buy an AK47.

there is nothing in the constitution that protects your right to buy any of those things except the rifle
BYW it is not an AK47
It is an exact semi auto replica
The AK is fully auto and without a special permit you cannot purchase one

I stated that the govt cannot stop people from doing events by taking away more liberties from the good guys and gals

And you made it political with the ‘liberal mind’ nonsense, leaving yourself open to attack where your fellow conservatives attempt to legislate morality with issues such as abortion and same-sex couples’ access to marriage.

You put your own thread off track with the very first post.

Of course it can't prevent people from doing anything, nor can it change human nature.

But, it CAN make your voluntary actions so painful that you'll either not do it at all or pause before you do.

For instance: Do you drive drunk? Why not? Drunkenness is a moral failure and government can't keep you from drinking too much. But, it CAN put you in jail if you do it publicly, assault someone while drunk or get behind the wheel of a car.

Have you ever done any of those things? They're all illegal, which takes away the right to do them for everybody, yet We the People decided the right to get drunk does not supersede the danger to everyone else when you do.

What do you think of such laws? Good, or bad? Moral, or immoral? An unjustified intrusion on our basic rights, or a legitimate exercise of government for the protection of the majority?

Of course it can't prevent people from doing anything, nor can it change human nature.

But, it CAN make your voluntary actions so painful that you'll either not do it at all or pause before you do.

For instance: Do you drive drunk? Why not? Drunkenness is a moral failure and government can't keep you from drinking too much. But, it CAN put you in jail if you do it publicly, assault someone while drunk or get behind the wheel of a car.

Have you ever done any of those things? They're all illegal, which takes away the right to do them for everybody, yet We the People decided the right to get drunk does not supersede the danger to everyone else when you do.

What do you think of such laws? Good, or bad? Moral, or immoral? An unjustified intrusion on our basic rights, or a legitimate exercise of government for the protection of the majority?

your missing the point and your making my case better than I can
Murder is against the law
stealing is against the law
The idiot in Connecticut did both
what would adding more gun laws do to have prevented this event?
same with the financial bubble
fraud is against the law, yet millions used fraud to get as well as give those loans

I have not stated we do not need laws. What I have stated is that taking away more liberties from hones gun owners would not have prevented those events Friday r any other day

And you made it political with the ‘liberal mind’ nonsense, leaving yourself open to attack where your fellow conservatives attempt to legislate morality with issues such as abortion and same-sex couples’ access to marriage.

You put your own thread off track with the very first post.

If you see abortion as murder, whats the difference?
Making it tough to get an abortion will not prevent them, but it will make adults make choices as a majority
also Abortion is not in the constitution
right to bear arms is

Same sex Marriage?
preventing another protected group in this great nation has what to do with murder and morality?

Home or abroad

Laws cannot legislate away evil. All the law is doing so far, is to deny that evil exists. Therefore no one needs to protect themselves from evil.

Home or abroad

Laws cannot legislate away evil. All the law is doing so far, is to deny that evil exists. Therefore no one needs to protect themselves from evil.

That is my point
Evil exists
taking away liberties as they exist in our constitution does nothing but just that

Home or abroad

How are conservatives defining "morality?"
Are you saying the state lacks the authority to differentiate between "right" and "wrong" decisions?
Do conservatives differentiate between those who treat others as they would like to be treated and those who don't?
It's obvious that most conservatives can't differentiate the "nuts" and the suicide bombers from the "heroes" who've murdered, maimed, and displaced millions of "harmless and innocent people" in the Middle East since March of 2003.

Home or abroad

The liberal mind?

It has to do with legislating morality. Not sure why you didn't pick up on that! :eusa_eh:

Home or abroad

How are conservatives defining "morality?"
Are you saying the state lacks the authority to differentiate between "right" and "wrong" decisions?
Do conservatives differentiate between those who treat others as they would like to be treated and those who don't?
It's obvious that most conservatives can't differentiate the "nuts" and the suicide bombers from the "heroes" who've murdered, maimed, and displaced millions of "harmless and innocent people" in the Middle East since March of 2003.

who has murdered millions?
you talking about our troops? if you feel that way then why don't you move to Afghanistan?
You just entered a world that if you fell that way, go find Marcus Lattrueal in Texas and let him know how you feel?
That is the biggest chicken shit statement I have ever heard
To live in a country that assures your rights and your freedoms and that is how you fell about those people?

I want you to calcify your statement about "heroes" first
And if you really feel that way run out to Coronado California and let the seals there know how you feel
Okay?

George Phillip needs to clarify his remarks
If any-one feels that the troops that defend this country are murder's
then they need to move out

Forum List

Back