The Government silencing dissent

Well, I guess you just want to be able to live off the system then.

I guess Republicans are against welfare until it applies to them.

:lol: Guess you can't face the fact that Obama lies.

Since it's not a TAX, it's not a lie.

It's a fine, to punish people who are trying to steal. Like you apparently.

Are you really this obtuse?

But the language of the health care reform plan proposed by Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., explicitly labels the penalty attached to the mandate as an "excise tax."

Penalties for failing to obtain coverage would range from $750 to $3,800 under the plan. This is addressed in a section labeled: "Excise Tax."

"The excise tax would apply for any period for which the individual is not covered by a health insurance plan with the minimum required benefit," the Baucus plan says.

Tell me again that it isn't a tax. :rolleyes: Is the sand very grainy?

Last edited:
I really doesn't matter who lied - a corporation or a politician - that's a given; and it doesn't matter what the lie was.

The problem is the Executive Branch getting involved in a civil legal matter. Since when is that acceptable?

Are you really this obtuse?

But the language of the health care reform plan proposed by Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., explicitly labels the penalty attached to the mandate as an "excise tax."

Penalties for failing to obtain coverage would range from $750 to $3,800 under the plan. This is addressed in a section labeled: "Excise Tax."

"The excise tax would apply for any period for which the individual is not covered by a health insurance plan with the minimum required benefit," the Baucus plan says.

Tell me again that it isn't a tax. :rolleyes: Is the sand very grainy?

That's because you're quoting a Senate version of the bill that hasn't been approved by anyone yet, and was in fact drafted after Obama made his speech...

The "Baucus Bill" is not going to be used. You can count on it.

Are you going to pick and choose among all the ideas floating around in congress and attribute them to Mr Obama now?

I really doesn't matter who lied - a corporation or a politician - that's a given; and it doesn't matter what the lie was.

The problem is the Executive Branch getting involved in a civil legal matter. Since when is that acceptable?

He didn't say the Executive branch would become involved directly, he said there would be "possible legal action".

That could mean anything from private individual civil cases, to class action suits, to criminal proceedings.

Last edited:
And I guess no-one is going to defend the wild statements I listed above, made by Right-Wing politicians and talking heads?

And since Private Insurance Companies have made rather large donations to said politicians...

at first I thought you were talking about free speech zones....

and what is unacceptable about it? if uhc is going to be stopped it shouldn't and doesn't have to be done using lies

What's unacceptable about it? See if this one rings a bell: First Amendment of the Constitution, protecting freedom of speech. Sound familiar?

we did complain when bush did it.

Free speech zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most prominent examples were those created by the United States Secret Service for President George W. Bush and other members of his administration.[3] Free speech zones existed in limited forms prior to the Presidency of George W. Bush; it was during Bush's presidency that their scope has been greatly expanded.[4]

he was also nice enough to create constitution free zones 100 miles from any border, making it so power hungry authorities can setup checkpoints far away from any real border.

and I don't see why the insurance companies would listen. they are fighting for their right to drop paying customers when they see fit.

Shapiro's Law: As any conversation involving an Obama supporter grows longer, the probability of the Obama supporter citing the failings of President Bush approaches. In fact, Obama supporters rarely wait longer than 30 seconds before referencing President Bush's shortcomings.

Took you two posts. Impressive record.

Now try talking about THIS President and HIS administration, if you would be so kind, and if you can keep from frothing at the mouth long enough.

So free speech includes the right to lie by the health care companies to scare the seniors.?

Fuck that. The right has been lying and distorting the death panels and everything else.

If the program is so bad, they should be able to use real facts and not make up this fear mongering crap.

I can't believe that middle and lower class economically folks can kiss the health care giants asses so much.

this is not about free speech at all . It is about a corporate rule of our entire country and screw the average citizen.

Yes, actually, free speech DOES include the right to say things that your opponents consider to be lies. It's called "presenting an opposing viewpoint". And while we know you leftists would desperately like to make it illegal to ever disagree with you, it isn't yet.

Looks like freedom of speech and freedom of the press is still alive in America but just barely. It's gasping for air...

If insurance companies are LYING about the legislation then that is SLANDER and FRAUD in an attempt to sell their product.

Thus it is a crime.

Free Speech does not protect against being indicted on fraud charges.

Slander law requires that you tell provable, injurious lies about a specific person. Not the case here. You can't "slander" proposed legislation.

For fraud, you're going to have to prove that it's a lie, as opposed to a statement of opinion, which is covered by the First Amendment. Good luck proving that.

The executive branch of government using threat to silence opponents???

This is unbelievable.

Oh, and while I think about it, what 'law' will dear leader claim they are breaking, since he threatens 'leagal action'?

What part of "Fraud" are you unfamiliar with?

These companies are specifically lying in an attempt to sell their product. That is Fraud. Pure and simple.

Legal action in this case is perfectly justified.

Then the correct legal action is to bring charges, not to issue highhanded censorship orders.

No it doesn't.

Just like Free Speech doesn't cover other cases of fraud or slander for that matter.

And if the government or any member of the government, wants to present a civil case concerning slander, then that is their perogative.
And since when is the Executive Branch EVER involved in civil law issues (unless an individual of the administration is personally involved)?

Fuck...we have a separation of powers in this country for a reason.

Blind morons.

That would not stop the individuals involved from filing a class action suit against the companies for slander and defamation of character.

That would include every member of the legislative and executive branch responsible for the wording of the bill in question.

That's a whole lot of people.

Really? The mailer mentions specific people, and tells lies about specific people, does it? If not, you don't have slander or defamation of character.

Now, let's discuss what the Insurance Companies and Right-wing water-carriers are claiming:

1) The new legislation is a plot to kill old people through "Death Panels"

2) The new legislation is a plot to commit genocide by "Culling out" sick or weak people

3) The new legislation authorizes a government takeover of all health insurance in the United States.

Now, who would like to defend these claims?

First, please reference for us EXACTLY where in the mailers in question these claims appear. THEN we'll discuss it.

Now, let's discuss what the Insurance Companies and Right-wing water-carriers are claiming:

1) The new legislation is a plot to kill old people through "Death Panels"

2) The new legislation is a plot to commit genocide by "Culling out" sick or weak people

3) The new legislation authorizes a government takeover of all health insurance in the United States.

Now, who would like to defend these claims?

I am guessing you didn't read the article or the pamphlets.

Which is why I said the Insurance companies and Right-Wing Water carriers, specifically Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

So basically, you're not here to talk about the thread topic. You're just here to shout blindly into cyberspace about your personal issues. Got it.

He didn't say the Executive branch would become involved directly, he said there would be "possible legal action".

That could mean anything from private individual civil cases, to class action suits, to criminal proceedings.

They're already involved directly, pinhead, by sending out that directive in the first place. Duhhh. :slap:

Fluffy and the far right-wing haters certainly hate when their lies are pointed out. Keep lying, far right wing people, and you will be in the political wilderness forever. The American electorate caught on to you last year and they won't forget by next year.

It's perfectly fine for Obama and company to mislead the public about the reform bill, but not insurance companies. :lol:

Too fucking funny... and scary! :eek:

Prove one thing Mr Obama said about the reform bill is a lie.

:lol:

I'm not naive enough to think I could prove anything to your satisfaction. It's pretty clear that your head is fully lodged inside this administration's figurative ass and you've willingly surrendered every last vestige of objectivity.

But here's three quick examples:

1) He's full of shit when he says they're cutting 540 billion out of medicare without cutting benefits.

2) He's full of shit when he says that requiring people to carry insurance isn't a tax

3) He's full of shit when he says that people here illegally won't be covered.

I'm not necessarily saying that any of these things are good enough reasons to kill the bill, but he sure as shit is MISLEADING the public when he makes these bullshit claims.
Your 3rd point may become irrelevant. They will just grant amnesty to illegal aliens, than cover them after that.

Forum List

Back