The government IS the problem.

I'm sorry....is there a law involved here?

Cut the crap. You don't care about law. We see how lefties act when the law is laid down. They holler, scream, insult and demand their way. Don't even go there.

They're the first to start screaming that the law is wrong and should be ignored.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell is a prime example.

Once that pole went into the ground it become real property. That woman was breaking the law. If it had been a portable hoop that's one thing but once anything is permanently affixed to his land it becomes part of the property. They have to pay him the fare market value of that hoop and pole if they want to seize it.

in the US, is the curb considered part of his land? Down here it is local council land...

Cut the crap. You don't care about law. We see how lefties act when the law is laid down. They holler, scream, insult and demand their way. Don't even go there.

They're the first to start screaming that the law is wrong and should be ignored.

Once that pole went into the ground it become real property. That woman was breaking the law. If it had been a portable hoop that's one thing but once anything is permanently affixed to his land it becomes part of the property. They have to pay him the fare market value of that hoop and pole if they want to seize it.

in the US, is the curb considered part of his land? Down here it is local council land...

The city has the right to an easement in some cases to put in sidewalks drainage or powerlines. Problem is the pole had been there for over 2 years so it appears the city has allowed it to be there which might give him rights to keep it there. It's something that should have been settled in court, not in an ambush like this. They stole his hoop outright. He has grounds for a civil suit.

CHAPTER 5. HIGHWAYS, ROADS AND BRIDGES GENERALLY

§ 525. Maintenance of clear zones within rights-of-way.

(a) The Department is authorized to maintain clear zones within the rights-of-way under its jurisdiction. In maintaining these clear zones, the Department shall have the immediate authority to remove artificial obstructions placed therein, including, but not limited to, nonofficial signs, poles, mailboxes not placed in conformance with Departmental regulation, or other hazards to safe passage. In removing artificial obstructions, the Department shall attempt to determine the owner of the obstruction and provide written notice and an opportunity for the owner to recover the obstruction after its removal. The Department shall also have the immediate authority to remove or trim vegetation growing within these rights-of-way.

(b) As used in this chapter, the term "clear zone" has the following meanings:

(1) For all roads except those described in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for a distance of 10 feet perpendicular to the pavement edge.

(2) For all interior streets within residential subdivisions, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for the shorter distance of either:

a. Seven feet perpendicular to the pavement edge, or

b. If there is a sidewalk adjacent to the street, the sidewalk edge further from the street.

(3) The total area within the median strips between traveled ways or on any channelization islands, except as permitted by § 1108(d) of this title.

(c) The owner of any obstruction removed pursuant to this section shall be liable for a civil fine of $25 for each item so removed, payable to the Department. Justices of the Peace shall have original jurisdiction for any court proceedings relating to this fine. No owner of any such obstruction shall be entitled to the return of any removed obstruction without proof of payment of all outstanding fines.

(d) Recovery by the owner of any artificial obstruction removed by the Department under this section shall be subject to the payment of a $15 recovery fee per obstruction. If the owner does not pay the fee and recover the obstruction within 30 days of its removal, the Department shall dispose of the obstruction in the exercise of its reasonable discretion. The Department may also take such legal steps as it deems necessary and proper to collect these recovery fees, including but not limited to a debt action in the courts of this State.

Video: First they came for the basketball hoops « Hot Air

If you’re wondering which law could conceivably have been violated by a basketball hoop, see section 525 here. (Thanks to commenter WoosterOh for that.) You can’t have hoops, trees, shrubs or anything else within seven feet of the pavement in a subdivision; if you do, the cops can seize the item, fine you $25, and then force you to pay another $15 to get the item back. The fine and fee will probably be waived in this case now that the family’s state rep is involved and this is getting attention online, but where, oh where, will pick-up games be played now? Exit quotation: “What a waste of taxpayer money. They had six trucks and five police cars. Don’t they have something better to do?”

Crappy law enforced by a crappy mindless bureaucrat. An unreasonable law written in a way where no independent mind could be allowed to apply a reasonable judgement of its proper purpose and a zombie bureaucrat without the ability to think at all.

The OP is correct. Government IS the problem.

So should you be able to make a complaint on the noise level of your neighbors. They have the freedom to do what they want right?

I mean when you say your rights are being infringed, someone else feels differently. Guess what? you're not the king, you don't get to make the rules. But you must follow them.

So should you be able to make a complaint on the noise level of your neighbors. They have the freedom to do what they want right?

I mean when you say your rights are being infringed, someone else feels differently. Guess what? you're not the king, you don't get to make the rules. But you must follow them.

*LIBERTY* is an all or nothing proposition. It is government that was petitioned by the DOI, Constitution to defend.

Government has become the VIOLATORS by law...

This is a VERY big country. And states seem to have their own rules about alot of things. If you don't like "government interference" get out of the city..and move to the country. I've been to plenty of places where you don't see anyone around for miles. And there is plenty of land to get. I was in Oklahoma a few years back..and they were selling land there for 1000 an acre. That's dirt cheap. And I am sure there are plenty of bargains like that in places like Montana, Alaska, Nebraska..heck..all you have to do is look.

*LIBERTY* is an all or nothing proposition. It is government that was petitioned by the DOI, Constitution to defend.

Liberty to one person is slavery to another.

To me, deregulating business is slavery for the working class. You view it as liberty for businesses to do what they feel is right.

You have to look out for all, not just a few.

To me, deregulating business is slavery for the working class. You view it as liberty for businesses to do what they feel is right.

And you Statist do it for those that are unwilling by whining to Gubmint to make it so.

YOU have NO idea of true Liberty.

Go back to your hole and take a few more bong hits dumbass.

There's quite a few places in this country just BEGGING for people to move there.

Maybe a few people here..searching for "Freedom" and "Liberty" will take them up on it.

I know for a fact..Montana wants people to move there.

Wow. Some pretty angry talk there.

This is a debate. I love my freedom of not being in a neighborhood, or city for that matter. Then again I understand regulations against me shooting in my back yard or burning mattresses. We all have our desired level of government baby sitting. My mother loves her Condo. Lord bless her but I couldn't live there.

And you Statist do it for those that are unwilling by whining to Gubmint to make it so.

Okay we were having a debate but I see you have taken the "I don't know how to respond so I will call you a dumbass" path.

Cool I guess.

I'm sorry....is there a law involved here?

you really want to compare DADT with this? that's kind of out there.

there is no concept at law making a basketball hoop "real property". just because you wish something doesn't make it so.

That is not garden variety stupidity. That is Einstein's theory of special stupidity studied and improved by Stephen W. Hawking into big bang stupidity with extra fallacy sauce. :lol:

Okay we were having a debate but I see you have taken the "I don't know how to respond so I will call you a dumbass" path.

Cool I guess.

don't feel bad. tommy boy doesn't know how to have a discussion. he rants and raves and thinks he's actually saying something.

Cool I guess.

don't feel bad. tommy boy doesn't know how to have a discussion. he rants and raves and thinks he's actually saying something.

And can never be sure "which" Tommy is speaking:
The right winger.
The far right liberatarian.
The far right world citizen.

He's becoming Sybil!!:lol:

Assigning people classes is slavery in and over itself.

Maybe if you understood liberty, you would see things correctly.

Those basketball hoops can be an annoyance in a closely populated neighborhood. In a situation where one has neighbors who want and are entitled to peace and quiet, a bunch of kids having a makeshift basketball game nearby, with all the attendant hollering, can be intrusive. So to justify the radical action of forcibly removing all those poles I'm assuming the managers of that neighborhood received more than one or two noise complaints.

Good God, that video is awful. Confiscating people's basketball goals? Seriously? THAT is what you left wing pricks thing government should do?

THAT is our point. You fucking liberals want to stick your damn noses into every aspect of people's lives, all in the name of fairness or diversity or equality or because someone somewhere might have stubbed a toe in a bizarre circumstance so thus we must ban that circumstance everywhere.

My God, you libtards are pushing people too far, you truly are. And you wonder why people are on edge and pissed off? Is "LEAVE ME ALONE" that hard these days?

If that gov't dickhead came to my home, and tried to take my kids basketball goal, I can't promise he would've left without a broken nose. Seriously.

Forum List

Back