The Gospel of Unbelief

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
After reviewing the current assaults on Christianity, Cal Thomas gives some good advice.

The Gospel of Unbelief
By Cal Thomas
April 11, 2006

What is responsible for this flood of skepticism, heresy and outright denial of the biblical record? Why is there not a similar cultural onslaught against other faiths? Only the suicidal would treat Islam in this way. The skeptics sound like those disclaimers for certain drugs sold on TV: Side effects may include vomiting, hair loss, bleeding, dizziness and disorientation. The side effects of believing in Jesus may include loss of friends, disrespect by the academic and journalistic communities and damage to one's career, not to mention a complete change in the life to which one has become comfortably accustomed.

The question inherent in all of these challenges to the original story and original cast is this: How could anything like the resurrection be true? The question is not asked with the intention of getting an answer. It is rhetorical, hostile and unbelieving.

So, how does one know it is true? First, not a single witness of that first Easter morning subsequently denied what he (or she) observed. Human nature tells us that when those who publicly stated Jesus rose from the grave were threatened with death unless they recanted, at least one, and probably more, would have said it never happened, if it didn't occur. They would have wanted to live. Not one recanted. All of the Apostles died martyrs deaths, except John, who died in exile.

The second reason is also logical. What kind of loving father would direct his lost children through a bad neighborhood, if he wanted them to get home safely? If no human father would be so cruel, why would God, after giving up His Son to die for humanity, create a flawed road map so they would get lost in their search for Him?

Christians who believe the Bible's account of Easter believe it because they also believe God's spirit guarded human hands from making errors in recording these events. Skeptics have no such guide. They should be humbled that God is far wiser than the wisest man. (1 Corinthians 1:25-27)

Before accepting what heretics and unbelievers say, consideration should be given to what is contained in the guidebook.

for full article:
http://www.townhall.com/opinion/column/calthomas/2006/04/11/193242.html

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
How can there be an "assault" on Christianity when 80% of Americans claim to be 'Christian'?...When every president of the US since Washington have been adherents of one form or another of Christian ethos?...The only apparent assault on Christianity is in the minds of those lunatic fringe elements with their eyes on political power rather than the kingdom of heaven.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Bullypulpit said:
How can there be an "assault" on Christianity when 80% of Americans claim to be 'Christian'?...When every president of the US since Washington have been adherents of one form or another of Christian ethos?...The only apparent assault on Christianity is in the minds of those lunatic fringe elements with their eyes on political power rather than the kingdom of heaven.

Thank you for saying that. I've often wondered the same thing. From my perspective, there isn't any assault on Chrisianity, there's just a refusal to create a theocracy and give limitless power to the radical right.

Oh...and it is perfectly fair for people on an individual basis, to take a look "at the guidebook"...but government shouldn't....or we have a theocracy no different from those in the middle east.

Bullypulpit said:

Oh. The majority can never be oppressed? Tell that to the Shiites under Saddam. Or blacks under S.African Apartheid. :rolleyes:

Bullypulpit said:
The only apparent assault on Christianity is in the minds of those lunatic fringe elements with their eyes on political power rather than the kingdom of heaven.

If you think it's all in people's minds, Bully, I don't think you've been keeping up on what's been happening in this country over the past several years. How can you possibly imply--with a straight face, I assume--that there are not serious assaults being waged against Christianity in this country by the secular left?

Adam's Apple said:
If you think it's all in people's minds, Bully, I don't think you've been keeping up on what's been happening in this country over the past several years. How can you possibly imply--with a straight face, I assume--that there are not serious assaults being waged against Christianity in this country by the secular left?

I don't know about you but I haven't seen any attacks against moderate, sane Christianity. I haven't seen people picketing soup kitchens or normal church services.

There were the punks who burned churches, but I don't think that had any support from anybody. Even your dreaded ACLU are not going to defend those creeps.

We have had people protesting pedophilia in the priesthood, fanatics using Christianity as a basis for execution sprees (in Texas and elsewhere), people who are uncomfortable with Christian abortion clinic bombers, people who doubt that rampant hatred of gays is Christian, etc.

Nuc said:
I don't know about you but I haven't seen any attacks against moderate, sane Christianity. I haven't seen people picketing soup kitchens or normal church services.

There were the punks who burned churches, but I don't think that had any support from anybody. Even your dreaded ACLU are not going to defend those creeps.

We have had people protesting pedophilia in the priesthood, fanatics using Christianity as a basis for execution sprees (in Texas and elsewhere), people who are uncomfortable with Christian abortion clinic bombers, people who doubt that rampant hatred of gays is Christian, etc.

Yup.

Nuc said:

What distinguishes sane christianity from insane christianity?

rtwngAvngr said:
What distinguishes sane christianity from insane christianity?

Simplified version:

Sane Christians use their religion to guide themselves. Insane ones try to impose it upon everyone.

dilloduck said:
So a motel with a bible in the drawer is imposing?

Kind of a stupid question. If the manager of the hotel forces you to recite from it before giving you a room that's imposing. Just having it in the room is not, because you don't have to read it if you don't want to. Duh! :chains:

Nuc said:
Kind of a stupid question. If the manager of the hotel forces you to recite from it before giving you a room that's imposing. Just having it in the room is not, because you don't have to read it if you don't want to. Duh! :chains:
And so the reasoning behind banning the Bible in SA and other Islamic countries? We do not ban the Koran, in fact our CIC has declared it the ROP. So?

Kathianne said:
And so the reasoning behind banning the Bible in SA and other Islamic countries? We do not ban the Koran, in fact our CIC has declared it the ROP. So?

It's because they're theocracies....and fundamentalist extremists tend to hate dissent.

But luckily this country's behavior isn't governed by nutcases like in Saudi Arabia...and we have a Constitution that protects us from being a theocracy.

Kathianne said:

Personally I would like it if when I walked into my hotel room they had the Bible, Koran, Dhammapada, and whatever other books religious groups wish to display. Or any other books. Heck let's have a library in every room.

You are not implying that I agree or understand the reasoning behind Saudi Arabian repression, are you?

Nuc said:

Then why are there groups pressuring hotels to remove them. Sorta like secular dhimmitude, No?

dilloduck said:
Then why are there groups pressuring hotels to remove them. Sorta like secular dhimmitude, No?

Which groups? :link: :link:

Because they are idiots.

How about you? Do you want Bibles in every hotel room, or would you be comfortable with other religious literature as well?

Nuc said:
Which groups? :link: :link:

Because they are idiots.

How about you? Do you want Bibles in every hotel room, or would you be comfortable with other religious literature as well?
I say, anyone who wishes to donate, do so. I'm Catholic, wouldn't read Didion anyways, but wouldn't take out of the room to cost them either.

Kathianne said:
I say, anyone who wishes to donate, do so. I'm Catholic, wouldn't read Didion anyways, but wouldn't take out of the room to cost them either.

Actually I encountered the Dhammapada in a Japanese hotel in LA and that started me on Buddhism. I'm in favor of any religions distributing their literature in hotels.

Nuc said:
Actually I encountered the Dhammapada in a Japanese hotel in LA and that started me on Buddhism. I'm in favor of any religions distributing their literature in hotels.
I think that is just what I said, no?

Forum List

Back