The GOP is not Conservative

Discussion in 'Tea Party' started by Compost, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Compost

Compost Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,053
    Here's an interesting take on the subject from Ben Shapiro.

Yesterday, Rush Limbaugh essentially declared the conservative movement over. “Nationalism and populism have overtaken conservatism in terms of appeal,” Limbaugh said. This has become the prevailing wisdom across the political spectrum – conservatism is on the wane as populism rises, and Donald Trump is a symptom of that rise. After Sarah Palin’s endorsement of Trump, for example, a multiplicity of sources declared that the Tea Party was now dead; Jim Geraghty of National Review wrote of his theory:

Most members of the Tea Party actually never cared much about ideology or governing philosophy, just attitude…Maybe the Tea Party isn’t splintered and weak. Maybe it’s dead.

Or maybe the Tea Party always had strains of both attitude and ideology, in different combinations for different adherents, just like any mass movement. Populism isn’t a philosophy – it’s an attitude. Nationalism isn’t a philosophy – it’s an attitude. There are leftist populists, like Bernie Sanders. There are leftist nationalists, like Hugo Chavez. Conservatism hasn’t been trumped by either one – it’s just that modern conservatism has failed to make the case that its philosophy either stands up for the nation properly or appeals properly to the public.

Conservatism isn’t dead. But the rise of Trump demonstrates that its educational mission on economics has failed dramatically, and that its failure to embrace the base on social issues and foreign policy has created an opening for a return to an isolationist, protectionist past.

full article here
    Does Donald Trump's Rise Mean Conservatism Is Dead?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,931
    What is good, when one refers to someone as a real Conservative?

What are the characteristic of a conservative which makes one capable of governance? Of leadership? What is their vision?

How does the vision of a conservative make the United States Great Again?

How does fiscal conservatism comport with someone being fiscally responsible?

3. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,525
    I don't know that Conservative is a valid political label for most Americans. They believe that the Constitution is the way government should be run and only want to keep unwanted government out of their lives.

Most also believe that elected officials no long REPRESENT them but the special interest and lobbyists.

4. Compost

Compost Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,053
    What's your question? What's a conservative, or how dare somebody prefer one?

5. Compost

Compost Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,053
    I can't speak for most Americans but I don't care if conservative is not a "valid political label". I don't like that our elected representatives don't always represent us as promised. Still, I don't think it's all the special interest and lobbyists fault- we all have special interests and there are lobbies that push things we believe in. Bottom line for me is I don't think a man like Trump is going to shake things up that way I'd like them to see things shaken up.

6. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    Most people that I've met who self-identify as a conservative are decidedly not what that word means.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Compost

Compost Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,053
    You aren't really saying anything. You might as well add, most people who think they are nice people really aren't.

8. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,931
    I fully agree with your second paragraph.

As to the first, I've notice very very few posters claim to be Republicans, most claim no party affiliation but use the label of conservative to describe themselves. Those seem to come in one or more of these groups:
    • Racists
    • Bigots
    • Religious Zealots
    • Iconoclasts
    • Curmudgeons
    • libertarian leaning
    • Single Issue [opposed to gun control, opposed to abortion, opposed to taxes, opposed to gay marriage, etc.]
    • People who hate Obama, Democrats, liberals, progressives and other people they have never met and never will meet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    And yet, how many so-called conservatives approve of radicalism these days?

10. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,931
    None, I don't consider anyone who supports Trump or Cruz conservative, and only neo cons support Rubio. But many on the Right see Trump or Cruz as a hero, and both use extreme measures to garner attention. Only the Crazy Right Wing is covertly violent, and no one on the fringe will ever win the nomination or a general election.

And very few liberals approve of radicalism. Peaceful protests don't qualify, which is what OWS was, however it was radicalized by the far left and the original leadership of OWS choose to withdraw public protests and work within the system (most support Sen. Sanders today, but will support HRC in the general.