The GOP didn't win on tax cuts

obama is going to come out on top for this....

the gop screwed up by not agreeing to tax cuts for those over a million

you watch...obama's compromise will win him over with americans....now he can let the pubs hang themselves, calling themselves victors for "winning" this and "causing" obama to capitulate....just for keeping taxes lower for those making over $1 million dollars....i know the 250 was floated...but then it went up to a million....

in one year or less, pubs will regret this

The Republicans got Obama to fold inspite of being the minority party. Obama held the key cards and still gave in to everything the Republicans wanted

Republican temper tantrum worked

That is a much better description of what happened than Yurt's deluded post.

The GOP has owned a 50% stake in the class warfare meme since it was invented. Why else would they make the central tenet of their election campaign the expiration of a tax on millionaires and billionaires?

I had thought you had an idea what was going on but your last comment still shows your political partisanship. The democrats have had control of Congress for 4 years they are the ones who gave the rich bankers all the money. they are the ones that have given billions to banks.

Who gives a shit which party comes out on top?

If both parties disappeared tomorrow I would still be an American living in America. THAT matters.

The parties are just a cancer eating the nation alive.

Do you morn the loss of the cancer when you survive the disease?

sorry bloke, but it was under Bush that TARP was enacted. And who nominated Bernanke to the fed chair?

BUSH did!

I am not a partisan, but you are.

Bush signed it but Congress approved it. Who controled Congress again?

you watch...obama's compromise will win him over with americans....now he can let the pubs hang themselves, calling themselves victors for "winning" this and "causing" obama to capitulate....just for keeping taxes lower for those making over $1 million dollars....i know the 250 was floated...but then it went up to a million....

However? We still have the fight over ObamaCare which is a large TAX in of itself.

Who says that the parts going into effect have to be funded?

Or any other programs have to be funded in the budget?

This isn't over by a long shot. Lots of work to do.

i didn't mean to imply its all over....just this one issue is not the victory many pubs are claiming....

obamacare is atrocious and needs to be repealed....IMO, we need to expand and FIX medicare, we don't need another government run h/c that is totally seperate

i really don't see the justification for pubs holding strong against not letting tax cuts go for those making over a million....

Absolutely. Expand Medicare to cover all American Citizens. Canada provides a good example of how to do it. So, let's do it.

Any fiscal connection with reality would simply required letting the tax cuts expire for everybody. Then closing loopholes both for individuals and corperations. But neither the Democrats or Republicans seem to have any connection to fiscal reality.

The far left is about to blow this deal because they want to punish what they call the rich.

The dirty little secret is once you give them a tax increase.....any increase at all....it merely gets their foot in the door and they start monkeying with the earnings ceiling in the tax code. As they showed us during the 08' campaign the most you could earn without them nailing you on your income taxes seemed to change from $250 to $150 to God only knows what amount. Once you give them an increase they try to make it apply to as many as they feel they need to pay for all of their shit. That is the danger in this. That is why the left wants somebody to take it in the ass. It's only a beginning to them.

This nonsense that protecting the rich is the GOPs Holy Grail. It's actually the Left's Holy Grail. Once you get the rich the rest of us are soon to follow. Soon they'll be changing what is supposed to be considered wealthy. Soon making $75K will be too much for the left. We all would have to qualify for government assistance to be excluded from being wealthy.

And this statement that Obama said about Hostage Takers is a phrase he will live to regret. Calling other Americans Hostage-Takers is an insult in the first order. If he wanted to work with the GOP he's pretty much sealed his fate because it ain't gonna happen now.

Any fiscal connection with reality would simply required letting the tax cuts expire for everybody. Then closing loopholes both for individuals and corperations. But neither the Democrats or Republicans seem to have any connection to fiscal reality.

I'll tell you what.

Let's test your theory.

Let them expire.

Lets wait and see what happens.

The only reason Obama doesn't want that to happen is because the result will be so devastating to the economy his chances of re-election would be shot to hell. He wants to screw the rich but he needs cover. Letting them all expire removes the cover he needs to raise all of our taxes which was his ultimate goal all along. This is why they did all of that spending...sent all of that money out of the United States. They've been waiting to raise all of our taxes for two decades.

Last edited:
one major problem with this whole thing is taxes werent cut. They remain the same.

they were cut...the sunset is setting....

with no action, they remain the same as before the cut

No. They simply aren't being raised now. That's not a cut. That's keeping the status quo.

It keeps there from being negative inpact from an increase of taxes, but it doesn't lower any taxes to spur job creation.

Add to that that we now have more spending and im wondering if this compromise was a good idea at all.

The only real cut i see is with the payroll tax and thats just a holiday not a real cut.
Besides the extension of the Bush-era tax cuts, there are also actual tax cuts (not extensions of prior cuts) in the proposed compromise.

Now whether any of this survives the house and senate? We'll see...Adding 800B over two years to the deficit doesn't exactly ring of "fiscal responsibility"

There's something in this compromise for everybody to hate, that's for damned sure.

You guys think that the GOP is going to kill this bill?

I suspect that a handful of DEMS are as likely to kill it as the GOP.

This compromise, ladies and gents, highlights the class war that has been going on sotto voce for the last thirty or foury years.

It could not possibly be more obvious.

they were cut...the sunset is setting....

with no action, they remain the same as before the cut

No. They simply aren't being raised now. That's not a cut. That's keeping the status quo.

It keeps there from being negative inpact from an increase of taxes, but it doesn't lower any taxes to spur job creation.

Add to that that we now have more spending and im wondering if this compromise was a good idea at all.

The only real cut i see is with the payroll tax and thats just a holiday not a real cut.
Besides the extension of the Bush-era tax cuts, there are also actual tax cuts (not extensions of prior cuts) in the proposed compromise.

Now whether any of this survives the house and senate? We'll see...Adding 800B over two years to the deficit doesn't exactly ring of "fiscal responsibility"

Your so right.

If this survives the House and Senate then business will have a handle on the tax situation but still be up in the air on the cost of Obamacare.

Will they start to hire???

Either way 800B is a big chunk of change to add to the Deficit.

Your absolutely correct, Obama got exactly what he wanted.

:cuckoo::eusa_liar::confused:

i never said he got exactly what he wanted....:cuckoo:

Should have only been agreed to with equal amount of spending cuts to counterbalance the 'shortfall'... hence why I was against this, even with keeping taxes at the present levels and not allowing them to be raised

The fact remains that we will borrow from the Chinese to pay tax cuts to billionaires
Who will probably just move more jobs overseas

The wealthy won, the rest of us lost

As usual. We have the best government money can buy, don't we?

Nice attempt to rationalize the situation. Silly, but you get a point or two for trying.

Heard any of the reactions from Dim bigshots in the House and Senate? If not, check them out and then let us know if they sound happy with their boy's performance.

It only took 9.8% unemployment, the loss of 63 House seats, and 600+ seats in state houses for the reality of Obamanomics to finally sink in with the mastermind. Everything he's tried to date economically has been an utter failure and now he's faced with a truckload of dissension within his own party. They'd toss his failed ass under the bus if they could, but unfortunately for them it would be political suicide for '12.

Gee, always wondered how that hope and change stuff was going to pan out.

What is this "making a million dollars stuff."

The GOP stayed firm and insisted that all the tax cuts stay in place.

Obama capitulated.

First of all there are no tax cuts. It means the tax rates that are in effect NOW will remain in effect. Nobody's taxes will rise. No one is getting a cut.

In doing so, Obama has basically ceded the liberal's biggest argument of being against "tax cuts for the rich."

This is two fold.

First Obama ceded this when Democrats admitted there WERE tax cuts for the "middle class."

After eight years to crying and whining that Bush gave "tax cuts to the rich" what do you know? There were also tax cuts for the middle class and Obama admitted this to be true, because he said he wanted to keep them.

Then he finally gave in on tax cuts for those making more because he admitted HE DIDN'T HAVE THE VOTES TO GET RID OF THEM.

Now, this proves right what I said on November 3. You libs said the GOP didn't win the Senate AND I TOLD YOU IN REALITY THEY HAD.

Those Dems remaining in the Senate are looking over their shoulder and they know their jobs are on the line if they continue to vote with Obama.

It didn't take me a year to see this come to pass.

Let's see if it takes you a year to make good on your prediction.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I suspect you are right. I will even go out on a limb and say that a lot of the far left "outrage" is staged.

Nice attempt to rationalize the situation. Silly, but you get a point or two for trying.

Heard any of the reactions from Dim bigshots in the House and Senate? If not, check them out and then let us know if they sound happy with their boy's performance.

It only took 9.8% unemployment, the loss of 63 House seats, and 600+ seats in state houses for the reality of Obamanomics to finally sink in with the mastermind. Everything he's tried to date economically has been an utter failure and now he's faced with a truckload of dissension within his own party. They'd toss his failed ass under the bus if they could, but unfortunately for them it would be political suicide for '12.

Gee, always wondered how that hope and change stuff was going to pan out.

It panned out exactly the way I expected it to.

If OL'BO were the CEO of a company he would have been tossed out on his ass a year ago.

Hope and Change my ass!!

Barry Boy brings new meaning to the word Incompetant. Jeeze.

Last edited:

However? We still have the fight over ObamaCare which is a large TAX in of itself.

Who says that the parts going into effect have to be funded?

Or any other programs have to be funded in the budget?

This isn't over by a long shot. Lots of work to do.

Are you sure you're talking about the right group?

Calculations by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office and other independent fiscal experts show that the $1.1 trillion cost over the next 10 years of the Medicare prescription drug program, which the Republican-controlled Congress adopted in 2003, by itself would add more to the deficit than the combined costs of the bailout, the stimulus and the health care law.

The Washington Monthly

Republicans did that.

How have Republicans forgotten about their disastrous Drug plan? Next thing you know, they'll be telling us we "won" in Iraq and Obama took a trip costing 200 million dollars a day. Nah! No one could be that stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
obama is going to come out on top for this..
Yes - because... He delivered on another campaign promise, to raise taxes on the rich and spread some of that extra dough around to people who will then hopefully vote for Democrats.
Oh.. wait... He didn't.

The GOP -forced- The Obama to do what they wanted Him to do.
No other rational way to look at it.

not at all....
obama knows that allowing most of the tax cuts to expire were bad...
Um...
From 2001 to, weill, 2010, all we heard was that the Bush tax cuts were for the rich, and the working/middle class got squat.

Has that story changed, and the working/middle class tax cuts -do- represent the majority of the benefit from the cuts, or are you arguing that allowing the cuts for the rich to expire woudl be bad?

Forum List

Back