the German Butterbrot tradition

Zebra

Gold Member
May 29, 2023
When I asked this morning what you like on your bread, I had completely forgotten that the Anglo-Saxon world does not know the tradition of the German Butterbrot.

The German word Butterbrot (literally: butter bread = bread with butter) describes a slice of bread topped with butter. It is still considered Butterbrot even if additional toppings such as cheese, spreads, or lunch meats are added, as long as it consists of a slice of bread with butter.

And:

The Russian language adopted the term buterbrod (бутерброд) from New High German (Butterbrot),[2] perhaps as early as the 17th century during the reign of Peter the Great. In modern Russian the term has a more general meaning, whatever the ingredient on top of the slice of bread is. From Russian, the term buterbrod was adopted into Azerbaijani, Belarusian, Georgian, Kazakh, Ukrainian, and Lithuanian.

Who knows this Butterbrot? :)

And who has ever enjoyed a Butterbrot?

Types:

Types of Butterbrot

The simplicity of the Butterbrot is what makes it so popular. It just takes a few minutes and you have a tasty, hearty meal or snack. And given the variety of available toppings, there is an unlimited number of Butterbrot variations. Here we define some of the most common types of Butterbrot, based on common toppings.

Did you ever have a Wurstbrot or a Käsebrot or some such bread?

Who knows this Butterbrot? :)

And who has ever enjoyed a Butterbrot?
I will enjoy my frst one when we meet and I have the pleasure of squashing you with the heel of my handybrot. Irritating pest.

german+soldier+eating+bread+world+war+ii.jpg

History:

Today in Germany, the Butterbrot is slowly declining in popularity. To try to re-instate its popularity, there is an annual "Day of the German Butterbrot" in Germany. The Butterbrot is still, however, eaten more than fast food. It is also still enjoyed frequently as a lunch or in-between snack at work or school.

Forum List

Back