The Future - What Will It Be Like?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Achilles, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Achilles

Achilles Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The future is a scary thing in this time of the global economic crisis, but what exactly does it have to hold for us - the human race? Will the future be a how many people today dream it will be - an era where there are flying cars, and huge towers of glass in the sky? Or will the future hold for us, a new era of destruction, and mayhem, caused by wars over the depleting natural resources. What solely determines these things are what we do today - but are the things that we are currently doing enough to ensure peace on earth?

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I'm not prepared to depress you all with my vision of the future, this morning.

I suspect some of you are already starting to intuit how bad things might get in the next decade or so because of the economic meltdown, and frankly, that's not as bad as it COULD get if humankind doesn't begin realizing that were all in this mess together.

Let's just say that I doubt mankind is prepared to give up the method of power and control it has been using, so things are going to get pretty weird pretty damned fast unless something truly astounding (like fusion power) happens.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    If the present economic debacle snowballs into a worldwide depression, there is no doubt that we will see some despots arise in major nations. At the same time, we still have the ongoing global warming. An arms race, with no thought at to what we doing to ourselves could quickly excaberate the already shaky situation in regard to climate, and the agricultural resources that depend on stable climate. So we could well end up in a world with major portions of the population in a starvation situation, well armed nations, possibly nuclear, controlled by despots, and no organization or nation big enough to put the brakes on the situation. A very unpretty picture.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617

5. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever. ...

George Orwell

6. Southpaw

Southpaw Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I think the future will be kinda futuristic.

7. ModernLogic

ModernLogic Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in the future, china and russia will be the prime super-powers. america will still be around, but not as much of a major player. politically, we will be equivalent to say... today's france. we had our run as an imperial power and now we're just content with having that legacy and just sip wine and eat cheese all day.

china with its gigantic population and high level of ability to control it, in combination with the natural talent and diligence of the chinese people, will be a power through just manpower alone.

russia, with its huge resources and vast territory will try to reclaim some of its soviet glory by flexing its muscle around.

and of course, in the long run, humanity will all be gone as the earth succumbs to the sun's nova. the story of humanity is probably one of the most interesting time will ever know.

8. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I doubt humanity will last much longer. If the environment doesn't kill us off we will do it ourselves with so much bickering between groups, it's only a matter of time.

9. Father Time

Father Time I'll be Still Alive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    In the future we will all be...

OLDER.

Also 2012 will not ring in the end of the world just like 2000 didn't. Whether people buy into the next end of the world crap remains to be seen.

10. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    LOL, that's the funniest prediction for the end of the world. Ever notice how each time this mythical deadline passes the next wrong prediction is always a few years sooner than the last? Also notice how many times the end of the world was foretold by the same documents, but then somehow they read them wrong the last time but this time they are 100% certain? I wonder how many times we will have to hear these lame predictions.