The Food Stamp Discussion (POLL)

Food Stamps

• Total voters
I chose 'discontinue the program.' Certainly not that the poor shouldn't be fed, but the way the government has done it, seems it hasn't worked well. So, let it go to the private and local governments.

Bingo. Current programs like food stamps do nothing to encourage the working class whose income qualify for benefits to seek better jobs, because they know this assistance is available as long as they maintain the status quo. And there is no encouragement for those not working to seek jobs at all, for the same reasons. It's a disgrace.

I chose 'discontinue the program.' Certainly not that the poor shouldn't be fed, but the way the government has done it, seems it hasn't worked well. So, let it go to the private and local governments.

Food stamps is probably the best program the government does. It certainly gives back more to the economy, than it costs.

Bingo. Current programs like food stamps do nothing to encourage the working class whose income qualify for benefits to seek better jobs, because they know this assistance is available as long as they maintain the status quo. And there is no encouragement for those not working to seek jobs at all, for the same reasons. It's a disgrace.

Many people who receive food stamps work.
When you pay people crap wages, expect them to need assistance.

And none of them are living the "good" life.

Depends on your definition of what the "good" life is. If I could work only 40 hours a week in a job that requires very little of me, drive home at the end of each day knowing that I didn't leave tasks unfinished at work, watch TV, talk on my cell phone, play on the Internet, and feed myself a full meal...then I'd say that's a pretty good life. What exactly would constitute the "good" life for you?

I guess some of you, should maybe take the time to get to know someone who does live on Tanff and or food stamps.

I know plenty. They have cars, cable television, cell phones, and Internet. Seems to me like if they can afford all those things, they can afford their own food.

Most of them also live in government housing and have no job. I call that a pretty good life. They get all the benefits without any of the work. People in Africa who don't work die of disease and starvation.
A television can be bought used for $50 or less. Internet access can be available at no cost. In many areas in America you can not work without a car due to the lack public transportation.

The purpose of the food stamp program is to provide food for low income as well as no income families and individuals. The Right likes to paint users of food stamps as worthless bums and welfare cheats.

The facts are that over half of the food stamp recipient are children. The average family income is $640. That's right. Most families on food stamps have jobs. They just can't earn enough to feed their families Families of military personnel are a major user of food stamps.

This is so typical of some 'progressive.' Most of those arguing for 'crackdown' and no fun food stamps are usually on the very left spectrum and vice versa. You really should read the original thread before making the statement about 'the right,' in this case.

People receive crap wages because they work entry level or non-career progressive jobs. That's not my fault. It is theirs.

i find the food stamp discussion to be really interesting, with conservatives and liberals arguing both sides.

I have created a public poll to see where people really lie...hopefully the three choices that i came up with represent most of your positions. If they do not, please explain yourself.

1. The food purchased with food stamps should not be limited...recipients should be allowed to choose the foods that they buy

2. The food purchased with food stamps should be limited to only healthy choices...other food can be bought with cash

3. Food stamps should be discontinued entirely

4. Other

The Food Stamps Program is known in public policy circles as a “work support,” meaning it is used primarily by people looking for a job, or employed but not making enough to make ends meet. Because food stamps allow this latter group to maintain their low-wage employment, most experts[who?] believe food stamps actually keep people off the welfare rolls. Peer-reviewed research on the "dependency" effect referenced above is non-existent. The available evidence, in particular a University of Maryland study conducted in 2002, indicates that enrollment in the food stamps program keeps former welfare recipients from sliding back into poverty and re-enrolling in welfare programs.[citation needed]
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

n findings echoed by other economists and studies, he said the study shows the fastest way to infuse money into the economy is through expanding the food-stamp program. For every dollar spent on that program $1.73 is generated throughout the economy, he said.

"If someone who is literally living paycheck to paycheck gets an extra dollar, it's very likely that they will spend that dollar immediately on whatever they need - groceries, to pay the telephone bill, to pay the electric bill," he said.
Food stamps offer best stimulus - study - Jan. 29, 2008

Like I said, you guys want to take a good program, and shit all over it.

I hold firm to very little control over what foods and beverages can be bought with food stamps. Of course no alcohol or energy drinks. If there was a way to assure that children's parents who feed their children with food stamps could not go out and spend money at a bar every weekend I would be fine with that. I have seen so many people who are on food stamps pawn their kids off to a babysitter every Friday and Saturday night to go out drinking.

People receive crap wages because they work entry level or non-career progressive jobs. That's not my fault. It is theirs.

They work those jobs so they can take care of their families, and in this economy, because many times it is the only job available.

They work those jobs so they can take care of their families, and in this economy, because many times it is the only job available.

You're making excuses for the last two years. We're taking about a program that has been in place for decades.

EVERYONE works so they can take care of their families. Some of us educate ourselves so we have better jobs. Our money is taken from us to provide programs to support those that didn't do so.

I hold firm to very little control over what foods and beverages can be bought with food stamps. Of course no alcohol or energy drinks. If there was a way to assure that children's parents who feed their children with food stamps could not go out and spend money at a bar every weekend I would be fine with that. I have seen so many people who are on food stamps pawn their kids off to a babysitter every Friday and Saturday night to go out drinking.

Yep. There's something wrong with a system that allows this type of behavior.

Many people are receiving food stamps as a means to an end.

Many are going to college, albeit maybe later in their lives than many of you did.

There are PLENTY of hard working, deserving people who are getting a little assistance to buy some food while they aren't making enough money yet to adequately do so on their own.

Why do the bad apples have to ruin it for the good ones?

I find it interesting that so many of you seem to conveniently know so many people who are not only on food stamps, but abusing them as well.

What about military members who receive BAS? Basic allowance for subsistence?

How about an O-3, for example...they make almost $4,000 per month in just base pay.

If they move off base, they receive BAS, which is usually even more than what's given in food stamps.

Does someone making $4,000 per month really need extra money to buy food???

Should they have their choices limited as well? I mean, we can't be having fat, unhealthy military members out there protecting our country, that's dangerous.

Many people are receiving food stamps as a means to an end.

Many are going to college, albeit maybe later in their lives than many of you did.

There are PLENTY of hard working, deserving people who are getting a little assistance to buy some food while they aren't making enough money yet to adequately do so on their own.

Why do the bad apples have to ruin it for the good ones?

I find it interesting that so many of you seem to conveniently know so many people who are not only on food stamps, but abusing them as well.

I've never claimed to be an upper class citizen. Grew up in Cleveland Ohio and seen many abuses of the system. One woman took a friend of mine to the store and spent 200 bucks of food stamp money for 100 bucks cash. Think she used that cash to buy clothes for her kids? I know she did not. There are people that make the scene look bad but there are many that actually use the system as a means to live until they are more secure on their own. I have no idea why you would find it interesting that so many know of people abusing the system.

In MY opinion.

soda, sports drinks, candy and gum, chips of all kinds, packaged cakes and cookies, ice cream, bottled water smaller then gallons.

In short....JUNK and SNACK foods.

If someone buys $300 of regular groceries, and wants to buy a cake, then so be it. You think most people on food stamps are going to spend most of their stamps on cake and ice cream? I doubt it.

Have you known many people on food stamps?

The system is rife with abuse and misuse.

In MY opinion.

soda, sports drinks, candy and gum, chips of all kinds, packaged cakes and cookies, ice cream, bottled water smaller then gallons.

In short....JUNK and SNACK foods.

If someone buys $300 of regular groceries, and wants to buy a cake, then so be it. You think most people on food stamps are going to spend most of their stamps on cake and ice cream? I doubt it.

Have you known many people on food stamps?

The system is rife with abuse and misuse.

Abuse, I'll give you. Abuse in my book is the person who sells their groceries for cash.

Misuse on the other hand, is subjective. Not buying the kinds of food YOU think they should buy is not necessarily misuse.

How about military BAS?

Anyone have a justification for that, considering military members are already taken care of in terms of guaranteed pay, housing, healthcare, etc?

Forum List

Back