The Food Stamp Discussion (POLL)

Food Stamps

• Total voters
I have not bought sugar gum since I was a child. The granola bar actually is worse for me, than Trident Gum original.
And when I was on food stamps, I was also on Tanff because my vacation time ran out, because I had to take a month off before I had my son. I didn't really have a lot of extra money.
I also went back to work the moment I could, because I couldn't afford to live of either.
You guys act like most people living on food stamps and Tanff are living the good life. I guess some of you, should maybe take the time to get to know someone who does live on Tanff and or food stamps.

I haven't gotten the impression, at least from this thread, that anyone is viewing food stamp recipients as "living the good life". I'm sure there are a lot of stressors in their lives, and that being the case, logically many will reach for comfort and convenience foods which often are less nutritious. I feel for the single moms working a full-time minimum wage job who qualify for benefits, and wouldn't it be easier at the end of the day to pick up that box of Banquet chicken, even though it will use up 2-3 times more of her balance, than buying the fresh chicken that needs to be prepared?? Or some bags of chips rather than boiling water for rice. Nobody likes to feel controlled, but the simple fact is that when you need assistance, you should expect to lose some of that freedom of choice.

I don't have a problem with their buying a box of Banquet chicken, or microwave White Castle burgers. At least they have some nutritional value.

What bothers me is the junk. Soda, donuts, greasy potato chips and candy should not be allowed as they do not have any benefit for growing children.

I agree. My point is that reasonable people will not always make reasonable choices during difficult circumstances. In my opinion, the overriding goal of the program should be to make certain that there are not children going to bed hungry, and provide them with healthy meals. The government has guidelines for what can be served in the public schools, and this is just another extension of welfare in which they get to determine the scope of choices.

On a side note, I find it interesting if cons or libs aren't seeing the correlation to universal health care. Those against it recognize that when the government runs a program, they get to dictate the rules and regulations. The more the goverment is involved, the less freedom of choice the people will maintain.

You guys act like most people living on food stamps and Tanff are living the good life. I guess some of you, should maybe take the time to get to know someone who does live on Tanff and or food stamps.

Actually, I don't think that at all. I have a lot of patient who are on TANF and who have food stamps.

Many of them smoke a pack a day...it really taints the whole "absolutely destitute" notion for me.

But...if that is the case that people on TANF and food stamps have NO MONEY at all, then cake is the least of their worries...and cake won't solve their problems.
How much of the taxes from the cigarettes they buy go to supporting programs like Tanff and health insurance?

I'm not sure...but at $7 per pack...$49 per week...$2,548 per year of EXPENDIBLE INCOME, I wouldn't consider them destitute.

Once that stipend goes out every month, who cares what food item is bought with it?

omg.jpg

ConHog and Luissa agree on something!!!!

gasp!

a91a6fd4-1af0-496e-aa5a-30be3d4a4010.jpg

CoczEBQxEn_i-luz-omg-no-wai.jpg

No, but what i DO see is that many seem to have enough disposable income that is spent on beer, alcohol, cigarettes, cell phones, and bling.

I have no problem with them buying box cake mix and baking one for themselves.

You mean a few.
I know many people who have received food stamps, and most were not living the high life. You guys want to punish many, for what a few do.

What is the punishment?? There's something to be said for the old adage "beggars can't be choosers".

Food stamps are not a right.
Recipients are getting those at the grace of charity of the nation.
A recipient of charity should not expect to live like the one prioviding the charity.

Other.
Food Cards should be limited to basic food items, no prepared foods should be allowed with some exceptions.

Sacrificing some choices in what you consume due to your inability to buy them is a small price to pay for a full belly.

I have been hungry a few times in life.

Sacrificing some choices in what you consume due to your inability to buy them is a small price to pay for a full belly.

I have been hungry a few times in life.

What ever happened to the idea of:

I cant afford treats?

The thing is no one is suggesting that they can not HAVE soda. It would just not be something that was covered anymore. Purchasing soda on their own dime would be no problem.

I guess some of you, should maybe take the time to get to know someone who does live on Tanff and or food stamps.

I know plenty. They have cars, cable television, cell phones, and Internet. Seems to me like if they can afford all those things, they can afford their own food.

Most of them also live in government housing and have no job. I call that a pretty good life. They get all the benefits without any of the work. People in Africa who don't work die of disease and starvation.
A television can be bought used for $50 or less. Internet access can be available at no cost. In many areas in America you can not work without a car due to the lack public transportation.

The purpose of the food stamp program is to provide food for low income as well as no income families and individuals. The Right likes to paint users of food stamps as worthless bums and welfare cheats.

The facts are that over half of the food stamp recipient are children. The average family income is $640. That's right. Most families on food stamps have jobs. They just can't earn enough to feed their families Families of military personnel are a major user of food stamps.

I guess some of you, should maybe take the time to get to know someone who does live on Tanff and or food stamps.

I know plenty. They have cars, cable television, cell phones, and Internet. Seems to me like if they can afford all those things, they can afford their own food.

Most of them also live in government housing and have no job. I call that a pretty good life. They get all the benefits without any of the work. People in Africa who don't work die of disease and starvation.
A television can be bought used for $50 or less. Internet access can be available at no cost. In many areas in America you can not work without a car due to the lack public transportation.

The purpose of the food stamp program is to provide food for low income as well as no income families and individuals. The Right likes to paint users of food stamps as worthless bums and welfare cheats.

The facts are that over half of the food stamp recipient are children. The average family income is $640. That's right. Most families on food stamps have jobs. They just can't earn enough to feed their families Families of military personnel are a major user of food stamps.

Nice try. I've seen the system abused far more than I've seen it used properly. You try coming from my background and still think that the system is inherently working. It's hard to believe something works when you've seen it fail so many times.

Nice try. I've seen the system abused far more than I've seen it used properly. You try coming from my background and still think that the system is inherently working. It's hard to believe something works when you've seen it fail so many times.

Grew up in a republican neighborhood huh?

Have you??? That's a little vague.

I take issue with anyone who thinks people should starve because they face economic challenges. And I don't believe for a second that the system is abused more than it helps.... not a second.

And that's where you would be wrong, as far as I'm concerned. I do realize that especially in today's "new reality", that there are a lot of down on their luck folks that need a helping hand until the situation improves. People that once would have been too proud to accept assistance that have had their backs pushed so far against the wall that they've swallowed their pride and filed for aid.

I don't have a problem with my tax dollars giving them that helping hand. I do have a problem if they use it for junk food, instead of nourishing meals for all members of the family.

If they want to eat "treats", they should find ways to supplement the food stamps, like collecting aluminum cans, or mowing their neighbors lawns.

Because you don't make enough money to buy your own food, I'm only going to allow the tax dollars spent on food stamps to purchase what I deem to be healthy foods. I can't be having you get fat and unhealthy and clog the healthcare system.

While I sit on my fat financially comfortable ass and eat a bag of potato chips.

If someone buys $300 of regular groceries, and wants to buy a cake, then so be it. You think most people on food stamps are going to spend most of their stamps on cake and ice cream? I doubt it.

No, but what i DO see is that many seem to have enough disposable income that is spent on beer, alcohol, cigarettes, cell phones, and bling.

I have no problem with them buying box cake mix and baking one for themselves.

You mean a few.
I know many people who have received food stamps, and most were not living the high life. You guys want to punish many, for what a few do.

I agree. No decent parent punishes all their kids when one does something wrong - same methodology applies to food stamps. We shouldn't punish everyone for the actions of the few. Having said that, I do think we need to clamp down on those few. I see no reason why someone who needs help should be punished by saying 'no luxuries' (like cakes and shit). I certainly don't think we should force people on foodstamps to only have 'healthy' stuff - just because someone is struggling does not mean we should 'nanny' those people.

Grew up in a republican neighborhood huh?

Negative. I grew up in a severely depressed area that elects only Democrats. 40% live below the poverty line, and they want to keep Democrats in office so that they can continue to receive their government assistance and never have to work and pull themselves out of poverty. They are content with where they are. They lead comfortable lifestyles by their standards, and they don't have a lift a single fucking finger to maintain it.

I chose 'discontinue the program.' Certainly not that the poor shouldn't be fed, but the way the government has done it, seems it hasn't worked well. So, let it go to the private and local governments.

Most of the ones I know work, have cars because they have to work, and have children. Their cell phones, like most people these days is their only phone. And none of them are living the "good" life.
If they are Tanff, I would rather they have they have the internet, since you have to do a lot of job search on the internet now.

The guy who I take care family receives food stamps, because his dad is on unemployment. His dad only worked for over 30 years, paying taxes those 30 years. His job was outsourced to Mexico. So, I figure since he paid his taxes for over 30 years, I am not going to tell him that he can't buy pop, every once in awhile.
With the economy the way it is, it isn't just the dreaded single mom's on food stamps these days. Do you realize how many people in the military receive food stamps?
A person can fight for your country, but god forbid they buy a candy bar with $.99 of their food stamp money.

Forum List

Back