CDZ The Flynn Effect and Race Realism

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by JimBowie1958, Oct 6, 2017.

1. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,647
    Race Realists argue that there is little one can do to improve the intelligence of below average IQ populations and so we need laws and policies that distinguish between races, institutionalized racism for real.

But there is strong evidence that not only can group average IQs improve but that they HAVE BEEN.

This is called the 'Flynn Effect' and there are many theories as to why this is happening.

Flynn effect - Wikipedia

upload_2017-10-6_2-59-26.png

How can current average IQs be used to justify racial discrimination when IQs are in flux anyway?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,808
    They cannot.

One of my kids teaches at a charter school, lousy part of town, predominantly minority children. Top of the state test scores.

I believe in what I call "intellectual elasticity" - it's up to the individual to choose to expand their intellectual capacity and efficiency, and it can be done, just as a person can increase their physical strength with training. Obviously a child doesn't have that much control over their surroundings, but in constructive (or even just decent) surroundings, ethnicity is irrelevant.

This is a cultural issue, therefore in some ways a political issue, and I'll do you the favor of not "going there" in this thread.

:laugh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  3. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,582
    Years ago I picked up an IQ test at the mall bookstore. I read the instructions and self administered it. I scored pretty high, but much of the test was mathematical type questions. Having taken lots of math classes, I would expect to do well on such a test.

Bottom line, education and experience taking tests can possibly skew the results of IQ tests.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. alang1216

alang1216 Pragmatist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Simple, racial discrimination is not fact-based. It is learned behavior and requires no supporting data.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,647
    I am surprised at some of the nutritional items that can raise IQ, like Iodine.

From the link

It is well known that micronutrient deficiencies change the development of intelligence. For instance, one study has found that iodine deficiency causes a fall, on average, of 12 IQ points in China.[37]

Scientists James Feyrer, Dimitra Politi, and David N. Weil have found in the U.S. that the proliferation of iodized salt increased IQ by 15 points in some areas. Journalist Max Nisen has stated that, with this type of salt becoming popular, that "the aggregate effect has been extremely positive."[38]

Daley et al. (2003) found a significant Flynn effect among children in rural Kenya, and concluded that nutrition was one of the hypothesized explanations that best explained their results (the others were parental literacy and family structure).
    Wow, 15 IQ points on average increase once a nation introduces iodized salt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,647
    There is some truth to that, but then we could not have progress if this were without exception as a great many people lose their overt bigotry presumably through better information, education and real world experience with minority populations.

7. martybegan

martybegan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,161
    I think genetics gives a range for people to start off with when it comes to cognitive abilities, and from there on where you land in the range depends on environment.

There is the obvious question that no one wants to ask, do some populations have a larger range than others or a range that is statistically higher or lower than others? And I am not going strictly by race, but by ethnicity or tribe, or even current population groups.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,647
    Is the avoidance of iodized table salt dumbing down America?

9. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,808
    Yes, I've heard about that, and that the diets of many low-income people are low in iodine.

Also, there is a "word gap" between poor kids and wealthier kids, 30 million freaking words on average: Poor Kids and the 'Word Gap'

There are answers to things out there. We just have to get over ourselves and honestly examine them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,647
    But with this kind of variance, where do you find a control group?