The Fastest Fastball in History: 108 mph

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
That's what the physics-backed estimate is for Nolan Ryan's measured pitch in 1974 if you measure it at the same distance from the mound as we do today.

The modern way they measure pitch speed is 50 ft in front of home plate, only 10.6 ft in front of the mound. By this method, Araldis Chapman has the highest recorded fastball at 105.1 MPH.

However, other pitchers had their pitches measured, but far further from the mound. Once you apply physics, Chapman's feat is knocked off considerably.

Walter Johnson was clocked at 83mph in the early 1900's, considered the fastest pitch ever, but it was measured a good 7ft behind home plate, or 67.6 ft from where Johnson threw it.... If you compare it and apply the physics, at 10.6 ft in front of the mound, his ball was traveling around 93.8 MPH. And again, this was the early 1900's. No modern training techniques or weight lifting, minimal knowledge of mechanics, no supplements, etc. For his time, he was the fastest, and if today's pitchers went back to the 1900's and were brought up without the luxuries they enjoy, the probably wouldn't touch 93 MPH.

Bob Feller was measured in 1946 at 98.6 right at home plate, 60.6 ft from the mound. After the physics adjustment, He threw approx 107.6 MPH.

Nolan Ryan was measured in 1974 at 100.9 MPH 10 ft in front of home plate. After physics adjustment and under today's standards, that pitch would have been approx 108.5 MPH.

It's all in the baseball documentary called "Fastball", it's on Youtube, I suggest you watch it.

Crazy that these guys threw so hard.

Last edited:
That's what the physics-backed estimate is for Nolan Ryan's measured pitch in 1974 if you measure it at the same distance from the mound as we do today.

The modern way they measure pitch speed is 50 ft in front of home plate, only 10.6 ft in front of the mound. By this method, Araldis Chapman has the highest recorded fastball at 105.1 MPH.

However, other pitchers had their pitches measured, but far further from the mound. Once you apply physics, Chapman's feat is knocked off considerably.

Walter Johnson was clocked at 83mph in the early 1900's, considered the fastest pitch ever, but it was measured a good 7ft behind home plate, or 67.6 ft from where Johnson threw it.... If you compare it and apply the physics, at 10.6 ft in front of the mound, his ball was traveling around 93.8 MPH. And again, this was the early 1900's. No modern training techniques or weight lifting, minimal knowledge of mechanics, no supplements, etc. For his time, he was the fastest, and if today's pitchers went back to the 1900's and were brought up without the luxuries they enjoy, the probably wouldn't touch 93 MPH.

Bob Feller was measured in 1946 at 98.6 right at home plate, 60.6 ft from the mound. After the physics adjustment, He threw approx 107.6 MPH.

Nolan Ryan was measured in 1974 at 100.9 MPH 10 ft in front of home plate. After physics adjustment and under today's standards, that pitch would have been approx 108.5 MPH.

It's all in the baseball documentary called "Fastball", it's on Youtube, I suggest you watch it.

Crazy that these guys threw so hard.
C'mon man. Any Palestinian can whip a rock at 185,,,,wrong handed !

I love watching old films of Walter Johnson. He had one of the oddest deliveries I've ever seen as he would seemiingly come to a complete stop on his plant foot. And It wasn't just his velocity, his endurance was superhuman.

I love watching old films of Walter Johnson. He had one of the oddest deliveries I've ever seen as he would seemiingly come to a complete stop on his plant foot. And It wasn't just his velocity, his endurance was superhuman.
I was talking about this with a friend of mine and compared it to tennis. While Andy Roddick would serve high 130's to even 140's, Pete Sampras would regularly have a more devistating serve at high 120's low 130's. Why? Because he disguised it more. The same probably applies to pitchers.

More impressed with the speed and velocity of Nolan Ryan's right hands to Robin Ventura's nose. Shit, Nolan Ryan should have been the video game character in Street Fighter or Tekken: "Finish Him!"

As far as velocity goes, Ryan was as hard a thrower as anyone I can remember. His mechanics are still, in my mind, nearly perfect. Had a way to put his whole big country Texan muscle into those throws.

More impressed with the speed and velocity of Nolan Ryan's right hands to Robin Ventura's nose. Shit, Nolan Ryan should have been the video game character in Street Fighter or Tekken: "Finish Him!"
LMAO! I was talking to my friend about this, I wondered how much Robin Ventura's friends gave him shit for that. I mean, Nolan headlocked him like an old grand-dad and beat him.. might as well have given him a noogie and a wet-welly while he was at it.
As far as velocity goes, Ryan was as hard a thrower as anyone I can remember. His mechanics are still, in my mind, nearly perfect. Had a way to put his whole big country Texan muscle into those throws.
I think his career supports the idea that he was at the top of throwing power. I mean, who throws 98-100 MPH at age 44?

Forum List

Back