The Experts Agree: The Recession is Over.

So many people on this board rooting for the recession NOT to be over

I would love for the recession to be over. However I try to be a realist.
And since we depend over 2/3 on what consumers spend our recession will not truely be over till jobs are restored.

While I have great respect for Peter Schiff, and have actually quoted him a few times on these boards, when looking over his entire history of predictions, he does generally tend towards very gloomy, bearish predictions.

Which is of course a major factor as to why he was one of the few that predicted of the crash of 2006.

Now lets remember people your whole theory of tax cuts create a great economy comes right from this Laffer clown who tried to say the world was perfect back in 9/2006.

Now lets remember people your whole theory of tax cuts create a great economy comes right from this Laffer clown who tried to say the world was perfect back in 9/2006.
The whole myth of this "recovery" is based upon backdoor "tax cuts" (i.e. tax credits for buying houses and outright subsidies for buying cars), with the exception that tax credits are a one-shot deal and overall marginal rate reductions continue on.

Of course, when those who can avail themselves to the tax credits and subsidies do so, demand goes back down, the price bubble contracts, and we're right back where we started.

While I have great respect for Peter Schiff, and have actually quoted him a few times on these boards, when looking over his entire history of predictions, he does generally tend towards very gloomy, bearish predictions.

Which is of course a major factor as to why he was one of the few that predicted of the crash of 2006.

can you also refute the video I posted where he gave the specfiic reasons as to why the crash would happen? it wasn't mere luck on his part

can you also refute the video I posted where he gave the specfiic reasons as to why the crash would happen? it wasn't mere luck on his part

Why would I refute that?

I don't really need to watch the video, as I am quite familiar with his line of thinking, and in many cases have agreed with it.

Why would I refute that?

I don't really need to watch the video, as I am quite familiar with his line of thinking, and in many cases have agreed with it.

you said his generally negitivate outlook is why he was one of the few who predicted it, trying to discredit him as if he got lucky. his ideas were based on solid analysis

Same fucking experts who didn't see it coming?? Geithner?? Barnake?? Bawney! keep drinking yer kool aid .

None of those people are on the list of NABE fellows that I provided a few posts back.

Though, admittedly, Alan Greenspan is.

you said his generally negitivate outlook is why he was one of the few who predicted it, trying to discredit him as if he got lucky. his ideas were based on solid analysis

I'm afraid you misinterpreted my post, perhaps it was badly worded.

Mr Schiff had solid reasoning behind his prediction, and I agreed with much of what he said at the time.

That does not mean that he is generally not a "negative nellie" (which he most certainly is), nor does it mean that he was the ONLY economist that predicted the downturn.

I was simply saying that one of the reasons he was one of the people who made that prediction, was because he has a long history of having a negative outlook.

And not ALL of his predictions have been accurate, though the fact that he got that one right was impressive in my view.

National Association for Business Economics:

Recovery Soon to Lose "Jobless" Label
November 2009

Reaffirming last month’s call that the Great Recession is over, NABE panelists have marked up their predictions for economic growth in 2010 and expect performance to exceed its long-term trend. “While the recovery has been jobless so far, that should soon change. Within the next few months, companies should be adding instead of cutting jobs,” said NABE President Lynn Reaser, chief economist at Point Loma Nazarene University. Panelists predict a relatively sluggish consumer upturn but look for a sizable housing rebound, low inflation, and further rise in stock prices. Importantly, panelists are mostly (though not entirely) optimistic that the Federal Reserve’s policies will not lead to higher inflation. At the same time, NABE panelists are “extremely” concerned about high federal deficits over the next five years.

National Association for Business Economics (NABE)

:clap2:Thank you for digging us out of Bush's deep hole Mr Obama. :clap2:

I know that the recession is not over because I can't think of a single business that is expanding right now to account for the supposed growth. Remember it GDP is measured as Consumer Investment, and Government and most of the increase in spending has been from government.

Also, don't forget inflation. If inflation is 3.4% and we have an increase in GDP as 3.5% then our real growth is .1% which isn't very much at all.

I know that the recession is not over because I can't think of a single business that is expanding right now to account for the supposed growth. Remember it GDP is measured as Consumer Investment, and Government and most of the increase in spending has been from government.

Also, don't forget inflation. If inflation is 3.4% and we have an increase in GDP as 3.5% then our real growth is .1% which isn't very much at all.

Inflation has been non-existant for the past year, which makes the GDP growth even more impressive.

As far as Government being the largest provider of investment: Have you looked at Wall Street lately? Seems like there's a whole lot of private investment going on to me...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back