The Exodus Controversy

So it should come as no surprise that the ancient Egyptians would not have wanted to record or even remember what was perhaps their greatest humiliation—the national devastation that occurred when their Israelite slaves won their freedom and Egypt’s might proved powerless to stop them. This attitude is not limited to the past. Even today, some of what went on during the two world wars is still hotly debated by historians on both sides of the issue.

It seems too much to hope for, then, that a proud and powerful nation such as Egypt, whose rulers were considered gods, would record that their mighty army was ignominiously crushed by a band of virtually unarmed slaves who had a more powerful deity on their side. This would have embarrassed them in front of the entire known world. It’s more natural to believe they simply licked their wounds and tried to cover up all traces of this humiliating national episode, especially since they are known to have done this on other occasions.

sums it up.....

~S~

The Exodus Controversy

There is an inborn bias in the scientific community against religion, but the evidence supporting the biblical exodus is strong.
Victor, I do not think of archaeology as 'the scientific community'. And all they are saying is that they have found no evidence, not that the exodus we are familiar with didn't happen. And even the pro argument of the article states that the Hebrews 'could well have been' part of the slaves escaping Egypt. The story of the plagues has been disputed because of no evidence for centuries...disputed but not actually denied. Canaanite towns have changed hands many times over the centuries, although Kenyon says Jericho never had the 'walls fall down' event. I think archaeologists are trying very hard to confirm the stories as read, but simply cannot.

Is it important to you that the Exodus be confirmed as written? That an angel protected Hebrew houses from death of the first born? Does this lack of confirmation affect your belief? We all have our legends. Remember how George Washington never told a lie? I heard a woman on C-Span complain about pols because they weren't like George..who never told a lie. Point is, few believe that, but it doesn't affect our respect for the man. And if some folks don't believe the Bible literally, it doesn't affect their faith.

Forum List

Back