The evolution of Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan in M.A.S.H.

But the movie is where the characters originate and set the die they are cast as;
(Some might say the movie hasn't aged well ...); (For that matter the TV series plunged too far down the Leftwing hole by it's end.)
I've never watched the movie all the way through. It could never hold my interest. I think it is much because to me the real M*A*S*H was the TV show.

How did those smarmy fictional MASH surgeons get away with the fictional torture a hard working combat nurse in Korea and why was it considered funny?

And why was Frank Burns, a draftee, second in command when Major Hot Lips was regular Army?

Hot Lips and Frank were one dimensional characters similar to the movie roles. Neither was given a chance to be anything but the butt of jokes.
Once Frank left, Hot Lips was given the chance to become Margaret. She was much more complex, sensitive and compassionate

Similar transition was made for Klinger

I've never watched the movie all the way through. It could never hold my interest. I think it is much because to me the real M*A*S*H was the TV show.

TV show was much better
Initially, they tried to duplicate the movie
But that got tired quickly and they allowed more character development

TV show was much better
Initially, they tried to duplicate the movie
But that got tired quickly and they allowed more character development
I was but a young tyke when M*A*S*H the movie came out.

I was but a young tyke when M*A*S*H the movie came out.
The movie came out when I was in HS. It was must see at the time if you could sneak in because there was a quick nude shot of Hot Lips in the shower.
Watching it years later, it is hard to watch. Not as funny as I remembered

The movie came out when I was in HS. It was must see at the time if you could sneak in because there was a quick nude shot of Hot Lips in the shower.
Watching it years later, it is hard to watch. Not as funny as I remembered
I was 4 or 5 years old. It wasn't even on the radar for me.

Hot Lips in the 1st season: Co-Villain with Frank "Ferret Face" Burns a married man with whom she was having an affair.. Hot Lips was a person of low character who would sleep/hookup with most any superior officer that could further her career -- thus her nickname "Hot-Lips" . Also, she would often go "Karen" on Hawk-Eye and Trapper (or anyone else below her rank). Hot-Lips was made the butt of the jokes along with Frank during the early seasons of the show.

Gradually as the seasons progressed, the respectability of Margret grew. She ended her affair with Frank and married colonel Donald Penobscott. It is important to note that the character of Frank went crazy and soon left the scene. Margaret was shown to be a capable head nurse although she sometimes rode the nurses under her too hard. Margaret also was no longer hooking up with any colonel or general that walked by her tent. Her nick name of "Hot Lips" faded away during the middle seasons.

During the latter seasons, Margret divorced her cheating husband Donald and grew to be a most respected character. As respected as Hawk-eye, B.J, and Colonel Potter.

I sometimes watch reruns of M.A.S.H on Me-TV. The early Margaret is very very different that the later Margaret.
Hot Lips got her nickname during the original movie.

"Oh, Frank! Kiss my hot lips!"

See you have no fucking clue who "Sprear Chucker" was, just a lunatic fringe Marxists, who has to call everyone "Wasist".
And they thought they were so equitable in actually treating a Black man as near equal as they glossed over their white privilege whilst glossing over the discrimination he had to face.

But I'm talking of the book, of course.

Forum List

Back