The evolution of Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan in M.A.S.H.

JoeMoma

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2014
Hot Lips in the 1st season: Co-Villain with Frank "Ferret Face" Burns a married man with whom she was having an affair.. Hot Lips was a person of low character who would sleep/hookup with most any superior officer that could further her career -- thus her nickname "Hot-Lips" . Also, she would often go "Karen" on Hawk-Eye and Trapper (or anyone else below her rank). Hot-Lips was made the butt of the jokes along with Frank during the early seasons of the show.

Gradually as the seasons progressed, the respectability of Margret grew. She ended her affair with Frank and married colonel Donald Penobscott. It is important to note that the character of Frank went crazy and soon left the scene. Margaret was shown to be a capable head nurse although she sometimes rode the nurses under her too hard. Margaret also was no longer hooking up with any colonel or general that walked by her tent. Her nick name of "Hot Lips" faded away during the middle seasons.

During the latter seasons, Margret divorced her cheating husband Donald and grew to be a most respected character. As respected as Hawk-eye, B.J, and Colonel Potter.

I sometimes watch reruns of M.A.S.H on Me-TV. The early Margaret is very very different that the later Margaret.

Last edited:
I sometimes watch reruns of M.A.S.H on Me-TV. The early Margaret is very very different that the latter Margaret.

sometimes characters develop & evolve in a meaningful way - sometimes quite the opposite. fonzi from happy days was very different early on, then morphed into something unreal. he literally jumped the shark by the end of the series.

Hot Lips in the 1st season: Co-Villain with Frank "Ferret Face" Burns a married man with whom she was having an affair.. Hot Lips was a person of low character who would sleep/hookup with most any superior officer that could further her career -- thus her nickname "Hot-Lips" . Also, she would often go "Karen" on Hawk-Eye and Trapper (or anyone else below her rank). Hot-Lips was made the butt of the jokes along with Frank during the early seasons of the show.

Gradually as the seasons progressed, the respectability of Margret grew. She ended her affair with Frank and married colonel Donald Penobscott. It is important to note that the character of Frank went crazy and soon left the scene. Margaret was shown to be a capable head nurse although she sometimes rode the nurses under her too hard. Margaret also was no longer hooking up with any colonel or general that walked by her tent. Her nick name of "Hot Lips" faded away during the middle seasons.

During the latter seasons, Margret divorced her cheating husband Donald and grew to be a most respected character. As respected as Hawk-eye, B.J, and Colonel Potter.

I sometimes watch reruns of M.A.S.H on Me-TV. The early Margaret is very very different that the latter Margaret.

I'm watching M*A*S*H on HULU. Her evolution as a character was remarkable. Margaret eventually joined the poker games.

sometimes characters develop & evolve in a meaningful way - sometimes quite the opposite. fonzi from happy days was very different early on, then morphed into something unreal. he literally jumped the shark by the end of the series.
While wearing his leather jacket...... At first he was only suppose to be a minor character and did not wear the leather jacket.

While wearing his leather jacket...... At first he was only suppose to be a minor character and did not wear the leather jacket.
Also in the first few episode Richie had an older brother who for some reason simply disappeared from the family.

I sometimes watch reruns of M.A.S.H on Me-TV. The early Margaret is very very different that the later Margaret.
In season one, there was a black guy, named "Spear Chucker"... That season wouldnt ever make it to the cutting board in today's time.

I'm interested in seeing what happens if Trump is convicted but wins the election.

All of the characters evolved, that is a necessary fact of the show being on the air for something like 11 seasons.

Even Radar grew up and Klinger learned to like the Army.

M*A*S*H started out as pure comedy, & ended with it being a drama that had layers of thought provoking storylines.

To me the movie was Leftest garbage. Typical Liberal shit coming out of Hollywood back in those days. Because of the movie being crap I never watched much of the TV series. Maybe a few minutes here and there while channel surfing but never a complete episode.

The patronising racism in the book is mind blowing.
See you have no fucking clue who "Sprear Chucker" was, just a lunatic fringe Marxists, who has to call everyone "Wasist".

Oliver Harmon "Spearchucker" Jones
In the book, just like in the movie, Spearchucker reveals that the nickname "Spearchucker", ordinarily a racial slur, referred in this case to his javelin-throwing prowess.

M*A*S*H started out as pure comedy, & ended with it being a drama that had layers of thought provoking storylines.

Again, a necessity for the show to stay on the air and be good. Otherwise, it would have run out of topics and grown stale. They were just lucky to have good writers and a quality ensemble cast.

I never got the attraction, she is not exactly attractive.
She portrayed a desperate woman seeking any man who would notice her and had potential.
She was a gold digger. It was pretty obvious.
She was a target for Trapper and Hawkeye because of her pretend persona that they knew was fake.

I never got the attraction, she is not exactly attractive.
She portrayed a desperate woman seeking any man who would notice her and had potential.
She was a gold digger. It was pretty obvious.
She was a target for Trapper and Hawkeye because of her pretend persona that they knew was fake.
I agree that she is no supermodel. But she is attractive enough to attract the middle aged major, colonel or general that is looking for an easy hookup. She isn't dog ugly. Of course this is the early "Hot Lips" She had grown to be a very different character by the end of the show's run. Also, the show ran for 11 years and the age showed.

I agree that she is no supermodel. But she is attractive enough to attract the middle aged major, colonel or general that is looking for an easy hookup. She isn't dog ugly. Of course this is the early "Hot Lips" She had grown to be a very different character by the end of the show's run. Also, the show ran for 11 years and the age showed.
I think the producers picked average looking people on purpose.
There is not one single exceptionally good looking main character in the entire 11 year run.
They were all average looking, and it worked. It was suppose to show what everyday people go through in war time.

I think the producers picked average looking people on purpose.
There is not one single exceptionally good looking main character in the entire 11 year run.
They were all average looking, and it worked. It was suppose to show what everyday people go through in war time.
There were some good looking nurses, but they were minor characters.

On another note........A man wearing a dress was considered crazy.... a reason for a section 8. Today's army embraces men wearing dresses.

To me the movie was Leftest garbage. Typical Liberal shit coming out of Hollywood back in those days. Because of the movie being crap I never watched much of the TV series. Maybe a few minutes here and there while channel surfing but never a complete episode.
But the movie is where the characters originate and set the die they are cast as;
(Some might say the movie hasn't aged well ...); (For that matter the TV series plunged too far down the Leftwing hole by it's end.)

But the movie is where the characters originate and set the die they are cast as;
(Some might say the movie hasn't aged well ...); (For that matter the TV series plunged too far down the Leftwing hole by it's end.)
I saw the movie about a month after coming home from Vietnam. I thought it was Leftest Hollywood trash. I had a date and if it hadn't been for her I would have walked out.

I saw the movie about a month after coming home from Vietnam. I thought it was Leftest Hollywood trash. I had a date and if it hadn't been for her I would have walked out.
Yeah!
It was full of allusions to 'Nam that didn't apply to the Korean Conflict.
BTW, that Korean mess never really ended. No Peace treaty ever signed. Just a perpetual "Cease Fire", keeping that "War" on hold for about 71 years now.:(:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back