The Electorial College

Jill.. we have 3 branches of government chosen in 3 different ways, purposely.... we have a branch elected by direct vote, and that is the legislative... it al goes with the checks and balances

the EC has less to do with checks and balances and more to do with landed gentry having greater power.

and just because something worked...doesn't mean it shouldn't ever be re-evaluated.

READ

It explains it well.

I don't need to read shit.

The electoral college is an antiquated pile of crap.

Why the hell can I set up an online payment from my fucking checking account, pay taxes online, etc., but there's no fuckin' WAY I can be trusted to vote, directly, online, for the presidential candidate of my choice?

the EC has less to do with checks and balances and more to do with landed gentry having greater power.

and just because something worked...doesn't mean it shouldn't ever be re-evaluated.

READ

It explains it well.

Why the hell can I set up an online payment from my fucking checking account, pay taxes online, etc., but there's no fuckin' WAY I can be trusted to vote, directly, online, for the presidential candidate of my choice?

For the retarded, once again

Each branch is chosen in a different way to have more checks and balances in the system and further prevent mob rule... we have a branch chosen by direct vote and that is the legislative... it is indeed about ensuring that those outside of the heavily populated urban areas/states get a voice

Jill.. we have 3 branches of government chosen in 3 different ways, purposely.... we have a branch elected by direct vote, and that is the legislative... it al goes with the checks and balances

Wrong jill... it is not about 'land voting' as the land, being absent of consciousness, cannot vote... it is not about those with more land getting 'more' of a vote.... it is indeed about checks and balances with differing ways for each branch being chosen, and preventing the smaller voices/states from being silenced

how is it checks and balances if electors don't have to vote in the way determined by the voters of their states? what are they checking and balancing?

how did it keep it from getting worse when the person who won the popular vote didn't get the presidency and the supreme court appointed the other guy... in a total and complete departure from all federal law at the time...with a decision that for the first time ever was specifically held to have no value as precedent.

Because the presidency doesn't go to the candidate with the highest popular vote. It never did. That's what we're talking about.

That, and the Florida Supremes were total fuck-ups.

again that doesn't fit with what you say if the EC can pervert the electorate. still doesn't explain how the EC kept it from getting worse. Just shows the EC result was what you wanted it to be.

as for being a mess... as were the U.S. Supremes. Sandra Day O'Connor said she regretted her decision terribly. me, too.

especially when it violated all federal law which came before it.

What did she say? Did she regret it because it was bad law? Or because people said unkind things about her afterwards?

READ

It explains it well.

For the retarded, once again

Each branch is chosen in a different way to have more checks and balances in the system and further prevent mob rule... we have a branch chosen by direct vote and that is the legislative... it is indeed about ensuring that those outside of the heavily populated urban areas/states get a voice

Hey, 2010...NOT fucking 1710.

Wake the fuck up.

READ

It explains it well.

YOU are too fuckin' entrenched in a PURE Democracy, where anarchy rules the day. That is to say MOB RULE. That isn't how this REPUBLIC operates by DESIGN.

You wanna change it? then an AMENDMENT is in order by Constitutional Covention. Good luck with that. It ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Of course you're NOT gonna READ that bit of history. I find it of NO particuliar surprise. Read it and WEEP...Stronger States (More Populus) Cannot Override Smaller ones by sheer Numbers, precisely because WE are NOT a Democracy...*BY DESIGN*.

The Founders were SMARTER than YOU.

Get used to it.

READ

It explains it well.

How does the EC prevent you from voting online?

READ

It explains it well.

YOU are too fuckin' entrenched in a PURE Democracy, where anarchy rules the day. That is to say MOB RULE. That isn't how this REPUBLIC operates by DESIGN.

You wanna change it? then an AMENDMENT is in order by Constitutional Covention. Good luck with that. It ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Of course you're NOT gonna READ that bit of history. I find it of NO particuliar surprise. Read it and WEEP...Stronger States (More Populus) Cannot Override Smaller ones by sheer Numbers, precisely because WE are NOT a Democracy...*BY DESIGN*.

Get used to it.

The founders allowed amending the constitution for a reason, moron.

get over it.

Wrong jill... it is not about 'land voting' as the land, being absent of consciousness, cannot vote... it is not about those with more land getting 'more' of a vote.... it is indeed about checks and balances with differing ways for each branch being chosen, and preventing the smaller voices/states from being silenced

how is it checks and balances if electors don't have to vote in the way determined by the voters of their states? what are they checking and balancing?

Hence another factor in not having 2 branches elected by direct vote... and it is the RARITY in American history that a delegate has not gone with the state will... about 160 times to be more exact, about 1/2 of which because the original candidate died... and there are many states with laws set up to punish delegates who go against the will of the state

but nice try

READ

It explains it well.

Voting online would circumvent the need for this ridiculously antiquated practice designed to prevent a French Revolution circa 1780

Get used to it.

get over it.

See the Highlighted? WHEN WAS the LAST Convention? WHEN was the LAST Amendment?

Again? Good Luck. YOU LOSE.

Get used to it.

get over it.

Dumbass, the future amendment has nothing to do with the past amendment.

Check Mate.

Now, stick your fuckin' head back into the sand where it belongs.

Voting online would circumvent the need for this ridiculously antiquated practice designed to prevent a French Revolution circa 1780

What would be antiquated would be to go more toward a direct democracy where 50.0001% of the populace could take away the rights and/or property of 49.9999% by that little direct vote

The republic has purposely put these checks and balances in place to help prevent that and to prevent the selection of all in federal office from being a result of the pure direct vote

The Electoral College, Senate representation being arbitrarily two per state rather than based on population, gerrymandering, the irrational primary process that makes only a few key states the focus of a national race and candidate's effort, and every other instrument to impede democracy should be amended or abolished. They don't make a lick of sense and continue merely out of tradition.

The representative process of the Legislative Branch is already enough limit to direct democracy, all further restrictions are simply instruments to suppress the will of the people.

-IDIOTIC- And PRONE to FRAUD.

Try AGAIN.

get over it.

Check Mate.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you if you think that the Constitution will be amended to make the US a direct Democracy

Can't trust the people can we?

No what we can't trust is our most populace cities--New York City & Los Angeles who are literally filled with non born here-Americans who vote--telling the rest of the country what will be.

That's why we have an electoral college--da-duh--da--duh--da--duh.

Check Mate.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you if you think that the Constitution will be amended to make the US a direct Democracy

You probably never thought that alcohol would be banned either.

Grow the fuck up, get out of you fucking crib, and fight for your rights.

The Electoral College, Senate representation being arbitrarily two per state rather than based on population, gerrymandering, the irrational primary process that makes only a few key states the focus of a national race and candidate's effort, and every other instrument to impede democracy should be amended or abolished. They don't make a lick of sense and continue merely out of tradition.

The representative process of the Legislative Branch is already enough limit to direct democracy, all further restrictions are simply instruments to suppress the will of the people.

The 'will of the people' is not always constitutional, and mob rule does tend to have the majority taking advantage of the minority and voting away their rights to benefit themselves... there is a reason for the Constitution and a reason why we were not set up as a pure democracy purely on the will of the masses... and there is a reason why each branch is selected differently....

The representatives in the legislative are not enough to limit the tyranny of the masses that is possible in a system closer to direct democracy

-IDIOTIC- And PRONE to FRAUD.

Try AGAIN.

WTF woulf you rather have that is absolutely NOT "prone to fraud?

Why the fuck can we pay taxes online, if this method is "Prone to Fraud."

Jaysus, what a pathetic nation of weinies we've become.

Forum List

Back