The Dying Pastime We Call "Bowling"

Sorta like basketball. When I was 30 there were a half a dozen leagues around here. I was playing 5 nights a week.
Now all those leagues have folded. Church leagues play a couple of months out of the year.
Golf is so/so
Sometimes it's sorta full, and other times I have the course to myself.

I know there's some bowling leagues here in the winter, and then those same persons switch to twi lite league golf in the summer.

I think you people just have other interests now. Like getting fat.

Who you calling fat, bubba? :D
Im' not fat, But I need to lose a few.

Fat is definitely a huge problem in America. Pun intended. :)

Not too many bowling alleys left in my area. The one I go to had to close down their other lanes because its employees are aging and no one is interested in that business anymore. I recently took up the sport of bowling, about two years ago. I thought I was good but turns out I'm not good at a game where consistency matters. My avg was 103 and I sucked but I won most improved bowler in my league. It's a game that takes all your concentration and requires you to try to hit the kingpin first while having your feet positioned right and focusing on the arrows as well. It's all in the wrist and arms, not hips like golf.

I encourage anyone who wants to compete against themselves to try out bowling and join a league that isn't too competitive.

The leagues are the problem in my area. It is hard to even get a lane unless you are already in a league so people are less inclined to try out the sport if the only time they can go in is when the place is loaded down with young whites and young blacks fighting with each other.

My friends and I go bowling once a month. We love it! Grab a couple pitchers of beer and play all evening.

Last edited:
I always loved bowling. It's a shame it's becoming obsolete.
Loved skating rinks too. Fun!

Oh, what a difference a few rearranged letters make. lol

My friends and I go blowing once a month. We love it! Grab a couple pitchers of beer and play all evening.

You go blowing? :eusa_shifty:

Oh, gawd! I just noticed the error. lol. :laugh2:
You should have left it like that.

LOL It's in the quotes.
Yes, I saw it. That was a good one! MDK is cool about shit like that he should have not corrected it.

I didn't want to distract from my love of blowing. lol

Sorta like basketball. When I was 30 there were a half a dozen leagues around here. I was playing 5 nights a week.
Now all those leagues have folded. Church leagues play a couple of months out of the year.
Golf is so/so

I know there's some bowling leagues here in the winter, and then those same persons switch to twi lite league golf in the summer.

Chris, I haven't seen Bonzo for quite a while. Do you know anything about her?

Not too many bowling alleys left in my area. The one I go to had to close down their other lanes because its employees are aging and no one is interested in that business anymore. I recently took up the sport of bowling, about two years ago. I thought I was good but turns out I'm not good at a game where consistency matters. My avg was 103 and I sucked but I won most improved bowler in my league. It's a game that takes all your concentration and requires you to try to hit the kingpin first while having your feet positioned right and focusing on the arrows as well. It's all in the wrist and arms, not hips like golf.

I encourage anyone who wants to compete against themselves to try out bowling and join a league that isn't too competitive.
103, you better get a bigger ball...

I really knew nothing about bowling. My first season I quit half way into the season because of money issues. It's $14 every Wednesday night which is 8 months so that's around $450 for the season. I didn't know there was such a thing called bowlers' etiquette.
Yes there is..which is why there is beer...I played for about 20 years....averaged a 275..But have not played a set in 20 years.........

In a game where the perfect game is 300 you averaged 275??????

Who do you think will believe that crap?

Who do you think will believe anything you post?

Seems the same for many sports

Golf courses are closing for lack of customers. I drive by public tennis courts every day and they are rarely being used. Kids would rather play video games than go to a bowling alley and most of them are kind of seedy

Here in Canada we have the traditional 10 pin bowling and the Canadian 5 pin bowling.

I bowl in three different leagues, all 10 pin. I bowl Monday evening, Wednesday afternoon and Friday evening.

I do fairly well for a 77 year old and I enjoy every minute of it.

Bowling is NOT dying as long as there are old timers like me to keep it alive, by bringing our grand kids to the bowling alley on weekends.

Golf is so/so

Chris, I haven't seen Bonzo for quite a while. Do you know anything about her?

Bozo? Yeah, she finally scored that big job . . . at the circus. :lol:

Forum List

Back