The DREO Chefmaker arrived a few days ago.

I don't think I will ever understand trying to replace a method that works exceptionally well.
Pan searing is not difficult, and once you learn how - it produces an exacting result everytime.
So why add a step of firing up an oven?

You cant get that perfect rare steak in a pan.
The reverse sear gives you a perfectly cooked rare steak all the way through edge to edge.

It works way better this way.
Put the steaks on a rack with a thermo in em and when they reach 125 ya pull em out an put em in a searing hot cast iron pan.
When they have a nice sear on em ya pull em.
This is for rare steaks.
That's how I roll. Roast rare in oven, kiss in pan. 1 minute each side and put a lid on it.

??
I have been doing it for 30 years

You wont get the middle done without burning the outside.
If you were to pull the steak out of the oven when it reached 125 and cut it in half the meat is the exact same color all the way through.
When you sear it you get that nice crust you're looking for and it will be will still be rare.
In a pan you end up with just the middle rare rather than rare from top to bottom.
The reverse sear is for thick steaks obviously.

You wont get the middle done without burning the outside.
If you were to pull the steak out of the oven when it reached 125 and cut it in half the meat is the exact same color all the way through.
When you sear it you get that nice crust you're looking for and it will be will still be rare.
In a pan you end up with just the middle rare rather than rare from top to bottom.
The reverse sear is for thick steaks obviously.
Steaks are like burgers, they should never be too thick.
If you cut a steak too thick, then absolutely you cannot get the steak in the very center correct without over cooking the outside 1/8". A Porterhouse 2" thick is too thick. It is detrimental to the quality.
You hand me a 1.5" thick Porterhouse and I will give you a perfectly cooked rare steak.

Steaks are like burgers, they should never be too thick.
If you cut a steak too thick, then absolutely you cannot get the steak in the very center correct without over cooking the outside 1/8". A Porterhouse 2" thick is too thick. It is detrimental to the quality.
You hand me a 1.5" thick Porterhouse and I will give you a perfectly cooked rare steak.

Not like this you wont.
Perfectly rare through and through.

IMG_3062.jpeg

IMG_2948.jpeg
IMG_2957.jpeg

Yeah...
Love this knife set. Went a lot of years without needing to be sharpened.
I have had a true Henckle Santoku for 30 years, as well as a couple utility Henckels
I wanted a rocking Santoku about 7 years ago, went online and was like... waaat?
$40?? How the hell??
That is when I learned that Henckle sold their souls to the big box stores and Amazon to sell poorly made knock offs with the Henckle name.
Almost made me switch to Wusthof, I didn't want to go Japanese.
I ended up sticking with Henckle but bought the real thing.

Forum List

Back