The difference between Palin's experience and Obama's

Thanks for the honesty in admitting that virtually every republican on this board was being dishonest and disingenous for the last 12 months about Obama's "experience" and qualifications to be prez.

As stated SO many times... the office of VP has been used by BOTH parties as a place to gain experience.... that is MUCH different than trying to run for the #1 spot with nothing behind you, which is the case with Obama....

Well, I still salute you for being honest. Every republican on this board who is now defending Palin's experience knows that they were being dishonest in spending the last 12 months attacking Obama's qualifications to be prez. Even if they won't publically admit it.

One thing this past week has taught us, is which candidate is acting like the elder Stateman: Obama picked someone who could step into the Commander in Chiefs shoes on a moments notice, if tragedy ever fell Obama

McCain picked someone out of sheer political calculation; someone who is probably the most inexperienced and unqualified VP pick in modern history.

I disagree. I never said I thought Obama was ready, I just said I didn't think McCain felt that way.

I don't think Obama is ready and I don't think Palin is ready. I think they are equal in their abilities to lead, but neither are ready for this job. But it's not Obama v. Palin, it's Obama v. McCain. McCain's got the experience. I'm fine with Palin being second-in-command. If, God forbid, something happens to McCain the day after elections, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I'm going to vote for experience, and McCain has that edge. The Democrats have their ticket backwards, and I've said it all along. Clinton/Obama would have been great, but Obama/anyone else just doesn't cut it.

I am not sure just what experience you can have that would make you able to be president.

Eisenhower-General, Kennedy-House and Senate, Johnson-House-Senate (long time) Nixon-House-Senate-VP, Ford-House-Senate, Carter-Governor, Reagan-Governor, GHW Bush-Senator, Clinton-Governor, GWB-Governor

There were good and bad of all kinds in this list what has experience got to do with it.

If I were an Obama operative, I would remind John McCain and the American people that there is a major difference between being the choice of millions, versus being the choice of one man.

Not to defend or attack anyone, just an observation.

Palin is a Governor of the Alaska State, where majority of the state population voted for her based, I presume, on her values. If I use your words by saying that Obama's choice of having Biden for VP is a choice of one man, what your answer would be?

And Obama has experience serving on the senate foreign relations committee.

The question of experience is total red herring.

But, McCain's pick shows that his 'experience' argument against Obama was never something he really cared about. He's a hypocrite.
thats kinda funny, since Palin has more executive experience than EITHER Obama or Biden
cause neither of them have ANY executive experience

McCain has the military experience
that does make a bit of a difference

He spent most of it an a prison. Who the hell was he in charge of there?

McCain's Military Record Shows He Is Unfit To Be President - For & Against

McCain’s reputation as a war hero rests on the sum total of 20 hours in combat. That’s right. McCain spent only 20 hours in combat in the entire war. He flew 23 missions. He got 28 medals. In other words, he got more medals than he had missions. Not bad. It should be noted that none of McCain’s medals related to anything he did in combat. They were given for the supposed bravery he displayed after he had been shot down and captured.

EXACTLY! And, guess what, sometimes people with no experience are better than people with years worth. Palin brings something new not only to the national level, but to the Republican party as a whole. She can do what Obama preaches about: bring the two parties together. She vetoed a bill passed by Republicans in Alaska. She has a 90% approval rating in a state that's pretty purple.

When this is said and done, Palin will be the Republicans' Barack Obama. She's a new, fresh face. The Democrats have already proved that the public doesn't care about experience, so the Republicans are taking a page from their book. Kudos to them for being dynamic in their campaign.

j, I'm confused or you are, I'm not sure which. Palin isn't running for President so you saying she can unite the parties is kind of funny. First of all, she represents everything the Dems are against...she is a neo-con to her core. Second, she has no real power unless McCain kicks the bucket, which while possible isn't an absolute.

you just said that experience doesn't matter so what other issue is there with Obama? He's for personal responsibility, he's for helping parents put their kids through college and providing benefits for returning troops, he's for an increase in the minimum wage and for saving social security. He's for providing health care to children first and foremost and for stopping the politics as usual in Washington so what exactly is your issue with Obama?

You've said you're pro-choice in certain instances, I can't imagine you're some fat cat millionaire who just happens to spend a good chunk of time posting on this message board so you're probably middle class, so what values exactly attract you to the Republican party? or is it simply that you're voting against Obama for a reason you've yet to make clear?

eta: the difference I see between Obama and Palin's experience is that Obama has had 4 years to think about the direction he needs to take this country, he's had time to study budgets and other factual statistics to know what steps need to be taken to make those changes possible. not to mention he's been involved in major decision making when it comes to our foreign and domestic security as well as financing.

Palin on the other hand didn't even know wha the VP did three weeks ago and didn't even think she was a likely candidate so exactly how much thought has she put into what it would take to run this country should that become necessary? from what I can tell, about 24 hours...I suppose she could just have Rove and Co tell her what to think like bush did....

Last edited:
you just said that experience doesn't matter so what other issue is there with Obama?

It's you that is confused. I never said experience didn't matter. I said to McCain, I don't think it ever mattered. To me, it does. I don't think either Obama nor Palin are ready for the position of President.

jillian, what happened to your making sensible posts around this place? Now you just spew partisan bullshit. I thought you were better than that, but I guess I'm :cuckoo:.

Hey, thanks for bringing absolutely nothing to the table. We appreciate your partisan bullshit.

Jsanders - how can this be 'partisan [bs]"? He expresses three key initiatives of the Obama campaign and you call it partisan.

My problem with you - DEMS & REPUBLICANS - is that you are BOTH partisan types. You don't give a damn about this country, only your Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olberman inspired rhetoric.

The TRUTH is, that BOTH McCain and Obama bring a LOT to the table. If you could combine them into one candidate, they'd be pretty good. But because we can't do that, and we have to choose, the only thing a consciencious voter can do is look at their records and decide for themselves.

To my mind, Obama has ran a far more positive campaign than McCain and has far more credibility than Palin in that he has established a grass roots campaign that has taken him from relative obscurity to the top of the ticket. That in and of itself, especially against the Clintons, says volumes to me when compared to Palin.

Palin however, is not running for President, but McCain's selection of her made me shift from being pro-McCain to neutral.

We'll see how things work out over the next few months.

It's you that is confused. I never said experience didn't matter. I said to McCain, I don't think it ever mattered. To me, it does. I don't think either Obama nor Palin are ready for the position of President.

jillian, what happened to your making sensible posts around this place? Now you just spew partisan bullshit. I thought you were better than that, but I guess I'm :cuckoo:.

I agree regarding Jillian. I too thought she was better than a partisan hack. I guess we're both wrong.

but by your own admission Palin has even more executive experience than McCain, right? you agreed with me that a person who has done a job for 26 years isn't necessarily any better at that job than someone who has done it for 4. So what does McCain have on Obama other than those 22 years because he certainly has no executive experience.

not to use your own words against you but this is what you said

EXACTLY! And, guess what, sometimes people with no experience are better than people with years worth.

so pardon me for being confused at the flip flopping you seem to be doing on the debate about whose experience you are voting for exactly.

Last edited:
Jsanders - how can this be 'partisan [bs]"? He expresses three key initiatives of the Obama campaign and you call it partisan.

Because we're not talking about his issues, we're talking about his experience. Kirk copies and pastes the same verbatim bullshit in multiple topics. It's extremely annoying.

My problem with you - DEMS & REPUBLICANS - is that you are BOTH partisan types.

You can point the name calling elsewhere. I'm neither of those things.

you agreed with me that a person who has done a job for 26 years isn't necessarily any better at that job than someone who has done it for 4. So what does McCain have on Obama other than those 22 years because he certainly has no executive experience.

You're right, I did say that, but I never said I'd hire the person with four years of experience over the person with 26 years, either. In my eyes, Obama and Palin are equally unqualified for the Presidency. She has executive experience, he has national experience. The difference is that Palin isn't running for President, Obama is.

You're right, I did say that, but I never said I'd hire the person with four years of experience over the person with 26 years, either. In my eyes, Obama and Palin are equally unqualified for the Presidency. She has executive experience, he has national experience. The difference is that Palin isn't running for President, Obama is.

fair enough. But, does it concern you that Palin COULD become President in the event that something were to happen to McCain?

Forum List

Back